What next? Enough with grimdark!

Green Gogol

I often wonder how differently it will feel for people who start the series when it's all finished and so the "new" POVs are, from their perspective, introduced midway through the series.

I think it's about the same. For example, I read The Black Company all in one go and I still had trouble warming to the new characters.

You are right, I'm 3/4 of the way through the first book of LPQ and I really like it.

I am happy to have been wrong about your tastes. Since most find the first book the weakest in the Long Price series, there is a statistically good chance you like all of them, too. Good. (I guess it's one point for accidental reverse psychology)

I am happy to have been wrong about your tastes. Since most find the first book the weakest in the Long Price series, there is a statistically good chance you like all of them, too. Good. (I guess it's one point for accidental reverse psychology)

Agreed, I thought that Shadow in Summer was well written, but mostly a ticket to dullsville. The rest of the books are much better, and I'm glad I stuck with it (halfway through book 4 now).

Agreed, I thought that Shadow in Summer was well written, but mostly a ticket to dullsville. The rest of the books are much better, and I'm glad I stuck with it (halfway through book 4 now).

Heathens.

I think ASIS is one of the best of the series, certainly 2nd place. It's so different feeling from other fantasy but so great.

Non gridmark fantasy I recommend is: L.E. Modesitt Recluce and series ans Corean Chronicles series. Not everyone likes his style, but world building is excellent, protagonists are diverse, and a story about each protagonist is usually wrapped up in 2 or 3 books and occurs in a different era of the shared universe, so that what are legends/rumors/ruins of the lost civilization in one subseries is a setting in another one, usually from unexpected angle (ie bad guys were actually not so bad and opposite)

I finished the first book last night. It was good. I am now reading the second book. Great prose, fascinating world, and interesting characters. No hairy barbarian with an axe to be seen so far, which is a good thing imho. No swords either.

Heathens.

I think ASIS is one of the best of the series, certainly 2nd place. It's so different feeling from other fantasy but so great.

I have never understood the 'it gets better line.'. I loved the series right from the start.

Speaking of, I can't think of another SFF series offhand where the last book is my favorite. I wonder about that.

For me, the trilogies I've read mostly ended on a strong note. But longer series seem to lose steam the longer they go.

The best books of WoT are they 6 first, then it gets weaker and weaker. ASOIAF has 3 great books, then 2 that are not as good. I've read that Malazan is not so good after the 5th book. Harry Potter was great for a few books, then it became repetitive IMHO, at the ending was predictable.

Maybe it's because of how the story is built? WoT promise you the Last Battle, as soon as the 1st book. Then you wait 14 books for the last battle. And when it comes, it's kind of a battle, and not much more. Longer series requires stronger ending I would think. A spectacular climax. But most of the time, it can't be as good as what people expected.

In the Long Price Quartet, I have no idea where he is going. Maybe I'll change my opinion when I've read the last book, but it seems to me he does not announce to you what will happen at the end.

It's been a while now, but I seem to remember that Farseer trilogy was a bit like that. It was not clear what the climax would be from the beginning. Lord of the Rings continued for a while after the climax, so again, not the ending you expected. Even further in my memory are the first 2 DragonLance trilogies. The first one didn't end on the expected huge battle, and the second ended pretty differently from what I expected too. Maybe it's because in a shorter story, you have more room to go in a different direction. In a long running series, you keep on building, and building, and tightening you story, putting in lots and lots of details, which leaves you with less opportunity to go in an unexpected direction.

Everything Daniel Abraham touches is gold. GOLD.

While I liked Leviathan wakes, I really am not too keen about the Black Sun's Daughter series. Or do you mean only the books written under the Daniel Abraham name?

In the Long Price Quartet, I have no idea where he is going. Maybe I'll change my opinion when I've read the last book, but it seems to me he does not announce to you what will happen at the end.

The LPQ books aren't standalones (the character development throughout the series is a key part of the story) but they are very episodic with big time gaps between them (I think it's probably at least 50 years from the prologue of ASIS to the epilogue of TPOS) so it's a very different type of series to something like the Wheel of Time.

I find it refreshing after reading through WOT and ASOIAF. Kind of zen...

Thanks Errant Bard!

Zen is a good way to put it. After I finished ADWD a few years ago, I went straight into LPQ. It was an excellent palette cleanser to say the least. I almost wish I could wipe my memory and read it like it was the 1st time.

Based on your initial question, I'd highly recommend the Dagger & Coin books. I just can't get enough of Daniel Abraham. Even the Sci Fi series (The Expanse) that he co-authors with Ty Franck is excellent, if you are into space opera.

Roger Zelazny's Amber? There's plenty of arsehole characters, but no gratuitous dark-for-the-sake-of-dark.

This.

Martin Scott's entire Thraxas series

bridge of birds by barry hughart

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente

Archived