Video Games Thread, Son Of Video Games Thread

Inigima

Too much day z.

Just saw a homeles man knelt on the sidewalk taking a can of soup out of his pack.

My first thought was to kill him with my ax and take the soup.

For shame MC.

It's probably not even good soup. I mean ... it's canned,

Played some DayZ the past couple days, and now I wonder why I spent $30 on it and somehow convinced my friend to download it too. Where is all this action people are talking about? All we could do was wander around some houses and grab some shit, and maybe go for a swim on the beach. I ended up killing my friend (in the game) and looting all his stuff. We had a heated argument over that, which I guess was pretty funny. Still, it feels so empty. Obviously it's in alpha, but hearing some of the stories likely raised my expectations to unrealistic levels.

All that said, it gave me an excuse to push my newly installed graphics card (7870), and I definitely liked what I saw. This should be a hell of a game in a year or two, but it's not worth $30 to me right now.

yeah. it is alpha.

for me i know my way around the world and the gameplay well enough from hours and hours in the mod that i can deal with the developmental stages of the alpha. but, even for me i cannot play it for long. i bought it out of a desire to support.

the mod is still a lot better.

they are making the alpha better and better all the time. i give it only six months before it is a full game.

I just managed to take a look at the match result (can't see that stuff at work). SONOFABITCH! 24/9/10 so you were involved in all but 6 of the kills. Thanatos was you're bitch aye? He's hard for noobs to play because a player really needs to understand how he works to not die a helluva lot. At low levels I'd be rubbing my hands with glee if there's ever a Thanatos on the opposition. Having said that a person who knows how to play Artemis can seriously kick anyone's arse, her basic attack buffs (including her passive) makes her so hard hitting, all you need to do is be good at aiming. Tank is my go to class because there's no expectation of getting a high kill count. Best I've ever done is jungling as Bastet, was memorable as much for getting a decent number of kills as for not dying much, I just seemed to gank at exactly the right time.

A lot of these are Arena (including that one -- few of my friends want to play Conquest, so almost all my Conquest games have been alone, and I don't know the meta, nor do I know the cast all that well at this point. So I have 4 Conquest wins from 6 Conquest games, versus 55 Arena games (29 wins). Both games seem to be plagued with leavers at this level. Almost everyone on every hero is an idiot. People also like to use gimmick Arena strategies like Ares + other AOE ults, because almost no one will buy beads to counter him, even when told to do so and exactly what they do. Here's my most recent Conquest game, also Artemis: https://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=42127130 My team never says anything but I usually end up in a lane alone no matter who I play. Not because someone's jungling, usually, but because two people went mid, for some reason. Usually this is not a big detriment because my lane opponent is typically an idiot whom I can kill on demand.

I'd like to play more Conquest, but I usually prefer to play that game type with others, in any MOBA. Hit me up if you want to play; I'm Inigima in game, (Steam is the easiest way to set up games with me, if you use it: http://steamcommunity.com/id/raiser_) Like I said, I'm new to the game, but I'm substantially better than the average new player and I'm interested in learning.

I seem to have enjoyed Arkham City enough to want to go for 100% completion, which is bound to drive me insane. Sure, combat is much easier, what with the indicator that enemies are planning on punching you sometime in the next few seconds, but still a single mistake can make you miss out on that elusive medal (or medals in the case of the challenge where you have to get 1,000,000 points) and whenever that happens I get twitchy pretty quickly.

As a kind of therapy for that I am playing a Crusader Kings II campaign as a Norse pagan from the very earliest bookmark to the bitter end. Well, not so bitter since at this point, about 150 years in, pretty much the only thing that can stop me are the Mongol hordes. In the meantime I amuse myself with rearranging the de jure borders of various kingdoms (and of course conquering more territory). I'm thinking about eliminating France, Lotharingia and Aquitaine alltogether (integrating them into Navarre, Burgundy, Brittany and Frisia) and maybe relocating Wales to northern Italy, just for the hell of it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance?ref=live

Kickstarter for a Czech RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance has started today.

If you are interested in a realistic RPG without "dragunz & megic", check it out.

Hmmmm...I'm usually obsessive about flinging magic around but I might be tempted to try this.

Though it seems like the bard is kinda magical here?

Fuck Candy Crush Saga.

Fuck it in the ear.

The makers of the game, King, have declared that they own the trademarks to the word 'candy' and 'saga' ('crush' appears to be unconfirmed at the moment) and are sending C&D letters to all other game manufacturers who have games with the names 'candy' and 'saga' in them, even ones made years ago (which doesn't sound legally right). In particular they are targetting The Banner Saga, a recent high-profile release which is also 10 million times better than their fucking shitty Bejewelled clone ever could be.

Needless to say this has not been a popular decision. The problem is that, so far, King have only been targetting tiny indie games and small developers who have no legal defence budget and who are being forced to acquiesce due to not having any other option. They're not making the same mistake a tiny company made a few years ago when they declared that the word 'edge' belonged to them and then - very unwisely - went after EA for publishing Mirror's Edge. EA crushed them without even taking a pause for breath. The same sort of thing is needed here.

Fuck Candy Crush Saga.

Fuck it in the ear.

The makers of the game, King, have declared that they own the trademarks to the word 'candy' and 'saga' ('crush' appears to be unconfirmed at the moment) and are sending C&D letters to all other game manufacturers who have games with the names 'candy' and 'saga' in them, even ones made years ago (which doesn't sound legally right). In particular they are targetting The Banner Saga, a recent high-profile release which is also 10 million times better than their fucking shitty Bejewelled clone ever could be.

Needless to say this has not been a popular decision. The problem is that, so far, King have only been targetting tiny indie games and small developers who have no legal defence budget and who are being forced to acquiesce due to not having any other option. They're not making the same mistake a tiny company made a few years ago when they declared that the word 'edge' belonged to them and then - very unwisely - went after EA for publishing Mirror's Edge. EA crushed them without even taking a pause for breath. The same sort of thing is needed here.

What the hell? That makes no sense.

Yeah, I'm amazed this bullshit with Candy Crush has been allowed to happen.

I think this goes beyond games and is an insane violation of free speech.

There's actually a Candy Game Jam where developers plan to make tons of Candy titled games.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is actually a fairly large-scale, 'proper' game from some developers with serious cred (they're made up ex-members of Illusion Softworks and Bohemia Interactive, so have worked on Mafia, Mafia II, Hidden and Dangerous and the ARMA series, among others). It's only on Kickstarter as a proof of concept: if they get the £300,000, the investors kick in the rest of the budget (estimated at $5 million+, or about the budget of The Witcher 2) and they get to make a much bigger, more epic-looking game.

RPS go a bit further into what they are trying to do and it's very impressive.

I don't understand how candy crush got so popular. Isn't it just bejeweled but with candy?

bejeweled with candy, and a very well designed system to draw people in (and get them to pay/promote).

I don't understand how candy crush got so popular. Isn't it just bejeweled but with candy?

Yes and no. It's the same basic gameplay as Bejeweled, but it's implemented much better, with levels and challenges and a system to rope people in and microtransactions. It's a really well designed puzzle game.

What baffles me is what a suit like this gains them, even if they win.

Well, part of it is to hit back at copycat games, since one of the tricks people use on the App store and such is calling your game "Candy Crunch Sega" and fooling people.

Why they've decided to take it this far and to this extent is probably a question for someone in trademark law.

I believe it might be because trademarks require you to defend your trademark because otherwise the courts go "Well, you didn't care when X, Y and Z violated it, so you obviously don't care as much as you claim so we are throwing your suit against W out". But my understanding of US law on these things is very fuzzy.

Playing through 'The Last of Us' again. Such a great game. So beautiful, and Ellie is one of the best characters ever. And Joel... He reminds me of my step dad in the best way imaginable.

Taking it slow, only about 30 minutes a day. I've been getting back into Battlefield 3, and I'm trying to get my lazy body back into basketball shape.

I'm about to start a replay of The Last of Us too. Best game ever. Can't wait.

Actually just finished playing through Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 for the first time. Definitely enjoyed them a lot. Especially the 2nd one. The stories weren't as good as The Last of Us, but they were still very fun games.

Was interesting to go back and see how the gameplay developed from Uncharted 1 all the way to The Last of Us - there are a lot of similarities in each of the games, but you can also see how each one evolves a bit, especially with regard to the use of stealth. Though maybe not Uncharted 3 - I can't recall any big changes there, and while I liked it, overall it didn't quite measure up to the 2nd game.

I thought UC3 was the best gameplay wise, and UC2 was best overall. Fighting finally became a viable strategy at times in UC3, whereas in earlier games you'd get destroyed if you decided to throw down.

As for Last of Us, I can't bring myself to replay that game. The first 15 minutes especially were too rough on the feels. My only play through took about 2 weeks because I always had to take long breaks. And I'm the same guy who played through Outlast in 1 sitting last Saturday without batting an eye (I had to download it, couldn't wait for the free PS4 version).

Trying to join the Hearthstone open beta, but the "Play" button is greyed out and when I hover the pointer over it, a message comes up saying I haven't had an invitation to play.

So is this an open beta or not?

Does anyone know what's up with this?

Archived