Identify POV's that are proven liars and when they have lied.....

Suzanna Stormborn

I do not believe that POV characters ever purposely lie to the reader. POV characters may be mistaken or misremembering or misperceiving, they may be leaving things out of what they tell us, they may be deluding themselves, but they never deliberately tell the reader something is true when they are fully aware that it isn't. The UnKiss is a case of misremembering, Ned leaves a lot of stuff out when thinking about stuff related to Lyanna and Jon, Cersei and ACOK Theon delude themselves, but I can't think of an instance where a POV character actually lied to the reader.

I mostly agree with this, except for Cersei. She blatantly thinks things that are not true at all. She has lied to herself and us. She is the only one I would call a flat out liar though. I posted this thread as an opportunity for posters to declare any POV's as liars where we can discuss it. Since there are not very many examples at all, I will refer to this later on when the discussion turns to "this POV is unreliable". I do not believe that any POV's are totally unreliable, even Cersei basically gives correct info most of the time, but, IMO, she lies the most. But the good thing is, we the reader, can see through most of her lies right away so it's not a big issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived