Winds of winter is "almost certainly years away".

Dendummenumse

No. The book was not coming out in 2014. That was clear and has been clear for some considerable time (notwithstanding that GRRM raised it as a possibility two years ago). This exchange merely confirmed the fact. That some overly-optimistic people - some of them spreading misinformation in other venues - kept saying it was coming out in 2014 and have had their delusions shattered is their own issue. My problem is dealing with people who think the book is coming out imminently and the resulting, "OMG! George lied!" BS when it does not.

I appreciate that some people you may expect to be 'in the know' have made comments about the book that sounded optimistic, but ultimately no-one should believe anything that does not come from GRRM, his agents or publishers.

If he had his spark back and stayed focused on the main series who knows. Because of these side projects though you're right. WOW will probably take nearly just as long as ADWD now, if not longer

alright fine, but Vic still doesn't reach the city in ADWD, so don't count his first WOW chapter, in which he STILL DOESN'T REACH THE DAM CITY IN, lol

However, he does in the Barristan chapters (or at least the Greyjoy ships are shown sailing into the bay).

Because of these side projects though you're right. WOW will probably take nearly just as long as ADWD now, if not longer

If TWoW comes out in December 2015, it will still be faster (4 years, 5 months) than either AFFC (5 years, 2 months) or ADWD (5 years, 9 months) to be published, although it would still have taken longer than AFFC to write (which was only 3 years, 8 months). TWoW would actually not be out until April 2017 if it took as long as ADWD, which isn't even in a realistic worst-case scenario yet.

However, he does in the Barristan chapters (or at least the Greyjoy ships are shown sailing into the bay).

If TWoW comes out in December 2015, it will still be faster (4 years, 5 months) than either AFFC (5 years, 2 months) or ADWD (5 years, 9 months) to be published, although it would still have taken longer than AFFC to write (which was only 3 years, 8 months). TWoW would actually not be out until April 2017 if it took as long as ADWD, which isn't even in a realistic worst-case scenario yet.

by that logic though he didn't so much tie up the knot, he just delayed it for his next book, since only 2 of the 4 characters reach the city in ADWD

We'll see if/when GRRM gives us his next up date, but I'm not holding my breath on reading this book in 2015, not after the insanely long wait for ADWD

My problem is dealing with people who think the book is coming out imminently and the resulting, "OMG! George lied!" BS when it does not.

My main impression from reading these boards is that people are concerned with the show overtaking the book and being the first media to deliver us the conclusion to the story. Many people are not happy about that. People were clinging to 2014 and now are clinging to 2015 because it gives them that small shred of hope that this will not happen. Very few people (none that I've read here) think George is a liar.

And I don't think it's because people are stupid or naïve. I think it's because this situation is a looming disaster in their minds. It's like if you're on death row and there's a 1% chance you won't be executed, you cling to that 1% against all reason.

GRRM's April 2013 estimate of being 1/4 done indicated a pace of 1% a month (since 10% or so had already been completed before ADwD was published, and he said he was taking a break until January 2012), which extrapolated to a May 2019 release date. Of course he's written much faster than that previously, and said three years ago,

.(at 52:00 of video), so he's very capable of getting TWoW out by summer 2015 even if he currently only has 35% done. I just highly doubt it and certainly won't get my hopes up for anything close to that.

A year ago, GRRM was still talking up the possibility of ADwD taking 2-3 seasons after season 4. Now that he (surely) knows that's not happening, hopefully he's been working a lot faster, but "almost certainly years away" sounds to me like progress has still been relatively slow and that even 2016 is optimistic.

What did the women (Robin Hobb right?) say exactly? I can't open the link. & how does she know this? Sorry if this was already answered before but I couldn't find it in the post...

[–]CaptainBigDong 6 points

3 days ago

I've seen George R.R. Martin mentioned here so...

Any idea when the Winds of Winter will be coming out?

[–]RobinHobbAMA Author[S] 46 points

3 days ago

Oh, I haven't finished writing it for George yet . . . :)

Seriously, I think it is supposed to come out in July 2014. The month before The Fool's Assassin.

I am just sure that everyone will have spent their pocket money on George's book and will have nothing left to buy mine . . . .

[–]Candidate88766 6 points

2 days ago

I hate to be the one to ask, but how sure are you of that? I want to believe, but it just seems too good to be true.

On another note, I got Assassin's Apprentice for Christmas; I've heard lots of good things about the Farseer trilogy, so I'm looking forward to finally starting it.

[mod] OK, people have been ignoring the repeated request to stick to the topic: there seems to be no substantial discussion of the actual Twitter post, only off-topic remarks about other things. So, thread closed.

I should add (not that it should need adding) that if anyone has points to make about moderation, they should contact the moderators privately. [/mod]

Archived