The Truth behind Varys

I recently started rereading and had a very profound revelation. I've realized that there is a high chance of Lord Varys being a warg. Catelyn said she thought there was something dark about the ways he got his information, so I thought what if his "little birds" are actually birds and other creatures (and in extreme cases maybe even humans).

Thats definitely an interested theory and its not outside the realm or possibility. However I think the phrase "little birds" just eludes to his spies. I do agree with the notion that with Varys there may be more than meets the eye. I've always felt that Varys will be a huge force to be reckoned with. I think it'll be interested to see what his final end game is, I have always believed what he told Ned way back in GoT when they were in the black cells, that he was working for the good of the realm,

I recently started rereading and had a very profound revelation. I've realized that there is a high chance of Lord Varys being a warg. Catelyn said she thought there was something dark about the ways he got his information, so I thought what if his "little birds" are actually birds and other creatures (and in extreme cases maybe even humans).

I can see a couple of problems with that: I've always found Varys' story of his castration pretty believable, and his hatred of magic genuine. I don't see a way he could square that within himself, even if he had the gift he'd shun using it or learning to use it out of disgust for magic. And what else could he consider warging to be? Not bloody likely. Also, even if he was secretly a practicing warg, the preferred thrall animal would be a companion he was rarely seen without. Could have been a capuchin monkey, parrot, cat, anything, but if it were the case GRRM would leave some sort of hint other than a bit of figurative speech. Varys has no conspicuous pet.

Otherwise I think it has merit as a skill for a master spy. That Arya IS a warg helps make her a leading candidate to become Varys 2.0 in my mind.

Archived