Too many new cast members for season 5?

Constantinople

It's not like this precedent hasn't all ready been set, look at Conan Stevens who left GoT to do the Hobbit. In fact, we'll see a fresh recast for Daario Naharis this season, do you think the original actors wasn't under contract?

Neither of those people were regulars, so no, they wouldn't have contracts like that. That's kind of the main distinction between regulars and non-regulars (the latter may be committed for set numbers of episodes, but not for huge multi-year contracts).

OP stated "I certainly can't imagine that cutting out Dany, Jon and Tyrion from season 5 would go down at all well with show-watchers," and I agree, but they're not going to be able to fit in so many new characters without cutting out other parts.

Yep, this is my main point. I don't see how they can fit in whole new sets of characters and arcs without seriously cutting the material available to existing cast members. Unless they go for a 14-16 episode Season 5, perhaps.

I mean, at minimum, we're going to see the Martells and Greyjoys appearing as entirely new main characters in the way Stannis did in S2 and, on top of that, various characters who've been together up until now (Tyrion/Cersei/Sansa, Jaime/Brienne, Sam/Aemon/Jon etc) splitting up and going their separate ways into whole new plotlines.

Yep, this is my main point. I don't see how they can fit in whole new sets of characters and arcs without seriously cutting the material available to existing cast members. Unless they go for a 14-16 episode Season 5, perhaps.

I mean, at minimum, we're going to see the Martells and Greyjoys appearing as entirely new main characters in the way Stannis did in S2 and, on top of that, various characters who've been together up until now (Tyrion/Cersei/Sansa, Jaime/Brienne, Sam/Aemon/Jon etc) splitting up and going their separate ways into whole new plotlines.

I wouldn't worry now. I think watching season 4 will give us better idea on how are they going to approach it, who are they going to cut etc.

As others said:

Aegon and the Dornish will be pre-introduced in season 4 by Oberyn

Greyjoy uncles will be mentioned by Asha, Balon and/or Theon

Bunch of Essos character will be combined or eliminated

People on this show knew what they were potentially signing up for, given the series length -- besides which, for most of the cast, this show doesn't really take up much of the year, even compared to a network show where the production schedule is spread out over most of the year.

This is actually one of the things the show does going for it as I have seen several actors, Iain Glen for one, mentioning the short shooting schedule which leaves him plenty of time to do other projects throught the year.

I think the three Greyjoy brothers will probably get merged into two. With Damphair and Victarion likely combined into one to face off against Euron.

I've also seen it mentioned on here that Griff and Quentyn could potentially be merged into one character and I could get on board with that.

The Manderly's will be essential to placing the Starks back in charge of the North so they'll have to be cast.

In the Vale they will need Lyn Corbray and Mya Stone or Myranda Royce.

As for Dorne I think Doran and Arienne will be around for season 5 where we will finally see Myrcella again as well. Hotah can just be some extra standing around with an axe, no need for more than that. Two Sand Snakes would be plenty no need for all 8.

Around Kings Landing I think the High Septon could be mentioned, but ultimately put off until season 6. Aurane Waters can likely be cut. Randyl Tarly can be pushed to season 6. I don't think he will be essentail until Kevan puts him on the council.

The assumption around these parts seems to be that Season 5 of GoT will combine material from AFFC and ADWD, and I think that's reasonable: I certainly can't imagine that cutting out Dany, Jon and Tyrion from season 5 would go down at all well with show-watchers.

Furthermore (and I say this as a big fan of FFC and DwD), it's also assumed that the relatively "talky" nature of these two books, which are short on action, will mean they're unlikely to be able to be stretched to more than about 1.5 seasons: again, this is something I'd agree with. I see season 4 having perhaps 10% of the FFC/DwD material, season 5 covering the bulk of it, with season 6 finishing up the remaining 15-20% or so before moving into WoW territory.

My concern, though, is this. Compressing the two very large novels into about 1.5 seasons means that Season 5 will introduce a hell of a lot of important new characters, whom TV viewers will have very little time to bond with. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least:

Doran Martell

Arianne Martell

Quentyn Martell

At least one Sand Snake

Victarion Greyjoy

Euron Greyjoy

Wyman Manderly

Griff

Young Griff

The Kindly Man

Lady Stoneheart (who I'm counting here as a new character)

As being relatively important new characters, important on the level of the introduction of Stannis and Melisandre in Season 2. On top of that, there's a whole number of others who, while perhaps "cuttable", will likely be named secondary characters, such as:

Aeron Greyjoy

Randyll Tarly

Aero Hotah

Another Sand Snake or two

At least two of Arianne's co-conspirators

The High Septon

Septon Merribald

Septa Lemore

Hyle Hunt

Homeless Harry Strickland

Aurane Waters

Barbey Dustin

Val

Dalla

"Nurse"

Moquorro

And I've probably forgotten many more.

So, the question is: how does the TV show both include such a veritable flood of new characters without forgetting half the old ones and losing all sense of pace?

Dorne

Doran Martell (Probably)

Arianne (Definately)

Maybe One Sand Snake (feel Ellaria Sand going to have a much larger role since she is played by Indira Varma)

Quentyn Martell (may be cut, comented on this before so wont do it again)

Areo Hotah (perhaps when we see Doran, but not essential)

Greyjoy uncle bros

As for them we could get them all combined into one, have 2, or all 3 (hope to have all 3), but have had lengthy discussions about this as well, but all depends on the impact these brothers have in the end that will affect which ones make the cut. But wont get a KM with Asha present

Euron (Definately)

Vic (Probably)

Aeron (Probably, or combined into Vic)

Pentos Crew

Since Tyrion gets the most screen time, we can definitely expect to see a lot of these 2 new characters

JonCon (Definately)

fAegon (Definately, I think D&D will try to make us really like him, and make the unsullied really believe that he is the real deal, but will probably only reveal his true identity like s05ep8. Just hope people will know his name and not think his one and only nae is griff, like dany's case some only knowing her as khaleesi

North

Wyman Manderley (definately, cause of Davos going to WH, and Davos's Rickon quest

Val (think she may get cut)

Braavos

Kindly Man (definately, someone needs to teach Arya)

Rivelands and KL

LS (definately, but may only see her for the first time when Brienne gets captured and then see reveals herself)

Randyll Tarly (may be, but would be cool to show the unsullied what a dick Sam's father is)

Hyle Hunt (cut, thought gendry would take his role, but apparently Joe Dempsie not coming back for s4, so dont know if he will come back to s5 either cause Brienne would surely have left KL by mid s4)

High Septon (definately)

Every character needs other - minor - characters to interact with since we cannot look inside their heads.

Dorne:

Doran Martell - 100% - Absolutely inevitable.

Arianne Martell - 100% - Absolutely inevitable.

At least one Sand Snake - 75% . Being decreased to 1 or 2 and introduced in Season 6, yet mentioned my Doran and Arianne before several times.

Areo Hotah - 65% - He is needed as a minor character for Doran [especially if Doran is in his wheelchair] and probably needed for later seasons.

Gerold Dayne - 65% - Interaction with Arianne.

Arys Oakheart - 65% - Interaction with Arianne.

Trystane Martell - 50% - He is betrothed to Myrcella.

So for the Dorne-plot we got these + Myrcella Lannister and Ellaria Sand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quentyn Martell - 95% - I cannot see them cutting him.

Gerris Drinkwater/Archibald Yronwood - 50% - Definetely merged. The question is, whether Quentyn's plot starts in Mereen or somewhere else; he will not go on this journey alone for sure.

The Iron Islands:

Victarion Greyjoy - 100% - Absolutely inevitable. Merge with Aeron possible, yet not appreciated.

Euron Greyjoy - 100% - Absolutely inevitable.

Aeron Greyjoy - 75% - Depends whether the Kingsmoot is shown, otherwise he can be introduced in Season 6 [he becomes important in TWOW].

Rodrik Harlaw - 15% - Maybe some interactions with Asha Greyjoy; yet, probably cut.

Tristifer Botley - 15% - Same here/merged with Qarl.

So for the Iron Islands we got these + Asha Greyjoy.

White Harbour/Winterfell:

Wyman Manderly - 100% - Otherwise Davos' further storyline just would stop after Season 4.

Jeyne Poole - 95% - There must be a reason for being at Winterfell.

Barbrey Dustin - 80% - Interaction with Theon, so his inner conflict can be seen.

Aenys Frey - 80% - Merged with Hosteen Frey. Maybe Little/Big Walder Frey merged, yet not very likely.

Rhaegar Frey - 50% - Merged with Jared and Symond Frey.

I can see every other great Lord from the North being cut, maybe we will get Robett Glover or Mors/Hother Umber.

So for Winterfell we got these + Theon Greyjoy, Roose Bolton, Walda Frey and Ramsay Bolton.

Essos besides Slaver's bay and Braavos:

Griff - 100% - I am not seeing him merged with Quentyn. I got the impression that Jon Connington may be a key figure regarding the 'mysterium' Rhaegar Targaryen.

Young Griff - 100% - Absolutely inevitable.

Moqorro - 75% - He seems to become fairly important in Victarion's storyline.

Septa Lemore - 60% - Free tits is always appreciated at HBO.

Haldon Halfmaster - 50% - Yet, merged with Rolly Duckfield. Also depends on his real character. Hightower anyone?

Penny - 50% - Depends on her role in the coming book(s).

So for Tyrion Lannister we got these + Jorah Mormont and Illyrio Mopatis (and possibly Varys).

Braavos:

The Kindly Man - 100% - Absolutely inevitable. Ineraction with Arya. Merged with Waif.

Dareon - 75% - Might be merged with Pypar. But we actually got a Dareon in Season 1, lol.

Brusco and family - 50% - More interaction for Arya.

So for Braavos we got these + Arya Stark, Samwell Tarly, Aemon Targaryen and Gilly.

King's Landing:

The High Septon - 100% - The Faith will become a very important institution in the books.

Taene Merryweather - 80% - Interaction with Cersei.

Aurane Waters/Harys Swyft/Orton Merryweather/Gyles Rosby - 50% - My guess is we'll get 2 of 4, probably Waters and Swyft.

Kettleblacks - 15% - I think Meryn Trant is all three of them.

So for King's Landing we got these + Tommen Baratheon, Cersei Lannister, Jaime Lannister, Kevan Lannister, Lancel Lannister, Pycelle, Qyburn, Margaery Tyrell, Mace Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Bronn and Tycho Nestoris.

The Riverlands:

Lady Stoneheart - 100% - Michelle Fairley has made several allusions already.

Randyll Tarly - 95% - He will become a major player in Season 6.

Ryman Frey - 80% - Can also be Lothar Frey; for the Siege of Riverrun.

Septon Merribald - 75% - Merged with Elder Brother and used for interaction with Brienne and the fate of the Hound.

Tytos Blackwood - 60% - For showing Jaime doing his duty.

Jonos Bracken - 60% - Well, if Tytos Blackwood is included, he also is. If he isn't, he isn't. Bracken was cast in Season 1 already as well.

Hyle Hunt - 50% - I see him being replaced by Gendry.

Ser Shadrich - 25% - TWOW will tell whether he is of any importance.

Nimble Dick - 10% - Everything that his journey with Brienne was for, has been resolved already (Brienne being a killer, ...)

So for The Riverlands we got these + Jaime Lannister, Bronn, Lancel Lannister, Kevan Lannister, Brynden Tully, Edmure Tully, Roslin Frey, Brienne of Tarth, Podrick Payne, Thoros of Myr and Anguy.

The Vale:

Mya Stone - 90% - will most likely be merged with Myranda Royce. Interaction with Sansa Stark.

Lyn Corbray - 65% - I think he will become mor important in TWOW.

Nestor Royce - 50% - TWOW will tell.

Maester Colemon - 50% - Same here.

So for the Vale we got these + Petyr Baelish, Sansa Stark, Robin Arryn, Anya Waynwood, Donnel Waynwood and Yohn Royce.

The Wall/Behind the Wall:

Bowen Marsh - 100% - Interaction with Jon. Merged with Othell Yarwyck.

Val - 90% - Seems to become important in TWOW. No Dalla, just her son. Interaction with Jon Snow.

Justin Massey - 90% - Seems to become important in TWOW + interaction with Asha Greyjoy.

Clayton Suggs/Richard Horpe/Godry Farring - 60% - We need more high bannermen of Stannis. And these three seem to be the most important.

Denys Mallister/Cotter Pyke - 45% - Just guessing, depends where the election will be.

Alys Karstark - 30% - Just guessing, I really don't know whether this may become important later on.

Arnolf Karstark - 30% - Same here.

Satin - 10% - If he has not a greater role to play, he'll be cut.

So for the Wall and behind we got there + Jon Snow, Samwell Tyrly, Grenn, Pypar, Dolorous Edd, Stannis Baratheon, Selyse Baratheon, Shireen Baratheon, Davos Seaworth, Melisandre, Tormund Giantsbane, Mance Rayder, Rattleshirt, Styr/Sigurd, Janos Slynt, Locke, Jojen Reed, Meera Reed, Leaf, The Three-Eyed Crow, Hodor and Brandon Stark.

Mereen:

Skahaz mo Kandaq - 75% - One of the more intersting Meereenese people.

Galazza Galare - 60% - If she is the Harpy, she is included.

Reznak mo Reznak - 45% - I cannot really estimate his impact on the story, so yeah.

The Red Lamb - 40% - Depends on, whether they concentrate on Ser Barristan. Can be merged with other fighters.

So for Meereen we got these + Daenerys Targaryen, Barristan Selmy, Missandei and Daario Naharis.

Sorry for any grammatical or spelling mistakes, English isn't my mother tongue; and please tell me if I left somebody out, so I can update my post. I know it's really dreamy, but most characters are just needed for the story.

Around Kings Landing I think the High Septon could be mentioned, but ultimately put off until season 6.

Not a chance of that. What on Earth would fill up King's Landing in season 5 if not Cersei's schemes, culminating in her downfall?

The Iron Islands:

Victarion Greyjoy - 100% - Absolutely inevitable. Merge with Aeron possible, yet not appreciated.

Euron Greyjoy - 100% - Absolutely inevitable.

Could well be merged themselves.

Barbrey Dustin - 80% - Interaction with Theon, so his inner conflict can be seen.

Have him talk with Jeyne.

Ryman Frey - 80% - Can also be Lothar Frey; for the Siege of Riverrun.

I would bet that they will just use Walder Frey for this, since he's been named Lord of Riverrun in the show.

The Vale:

So for the Vale we got these + Petyr Baelish, Sansa Stark, Robin Arryn, Anya Waynwood, Donnel Waynwood and Yohn Royce.

You omit Corbray.

1. Could well be merged themselves.

2. Have him talk with Jeyne.

3. I would bet that they will just use Walder Frey for this, since he's been named Lord of Riverrun in the show.

4. You omit Corbray.

1. I doubt it, characters are like opposites of each other and the Greyjoy family tree issued by HBO showed all 3 uncles.

2. Hm, possible, yeah. Dustin would give the opportunity to give a more distant view on the Starks albeit being from the North.

3. That's fairly possible. By the way, on the wiki of ice and fire (TV series) it says that Clive Russel (Brynden Tully) will return for Season 4. I think The Siege of Riverrun might begin in 4x8 or 4x10 and show one of the Frey's (Lame Lothar or Black Walder) there and at the end of the episode show one of them meeting Lady Stoneheart. The one left might be the one dealing with Riverrun/Jaime.

4. Edited, thanks!

My thoughts for new S5 characters:

Dorne:

• Doran
  • Arianne
  • Lady Nym (I think we'll also need to cast the younger sandsnakes as extras just to demonstrate Oberyn's promiscuity.)
  • Arys
  • Darkstar (I think he'll become important in the future. Arianne's other conspirators are unnecesary. Herself, Nym, Arys and Darkstar make a sufficient conspiracy group for crowning Myrcella.).

Areo is little more than a pair of eyes so he can easily be cut. I think the hunt for Darkstar will be important so Obara will be probably be cast at some point, but this can wait until season 6.

Iron Islands:

• Euron
  • Victarion
  • Aeron
  • The Dusky Woman (Because she's secretly Euron!)

Kings Landing:

• Taena (We need someone to see inside Cersei's head and D+D aren't going to pass up the opportunity for some fanservice.)
  • Randyll Tarly (Hinted at being important in the future and has already been mentioned a lot.)
  • High Sparrow (The antagonist of Cersei's arc.).
  • Osmund Kettleblack (A composite of all 3 KBs.).

Essos:

• Green Grace (probably the Harpy)
  • Shavepate
  • Griff
  • Young Griff
  • Lemore (I think Lemore is important but the rest of the Shy Maid's crew can just be oarmen extras.)
  • Moqorro
  • The Waif (I think Jaqen will take the Kindly Man's place, but having another Faceless (wo)man would make the order seem a bit less bare-bones than if it was just Jaqen.
  • ETA: Quentyn (His travels can be cut, he can just turn up in Meereen.).

The North/The Wall:

• Manderly
  • Lady Dustin (I foretell some importance for her. Plus she's pretty cool in a way.).
  • Dalla (small part: Introduced, gives birth, then dies in the first couple episodes.).
  • Val
  • Alys (Styr has been introduced and the only reason I can see is that he'll be merged with his son Styg to marry Alys. Alys' evil relatives can be saved for S6.).

The Vale:

• Lyn Corbray
  • Randa Royce

ETA: I'm honestly quite surprised they haven't taken the opportunity in Season 4 to introduce the Iron Islanders at the very least, and maybe the Dornish too given the reduction of plot threads after the RW.

Sorry. Who's that?

One of Ramsay's girls. She's one of the girls who seduces Theon before he gets castrated.

@Colonel Green: I agree she isn't a perfect fit, however I think it could work. Quite a few people are in on The Fake Arya thing in the books and it doesn't get out. Even if Ramsay's guys do remember some northern (presumably) prostitute he's hired posing as Arya, most would be too scared to say anything. As for the age she is a tad too old but not unreasonably so I don't think. Maisie will be 17 whilst filming S5, and Charlotte Hope can't be more than her early 20s. It'd be Dawson Casting, but the shows already full of that. Seeing as the show is deliberately playing fast and loose with the timelines you could easily say Arya is supposed to be 15/16 at this point, with Farya being played by someone in their early 20s.

If it isn't Myranda, then it's no one. She's the only person even close to appropriate and I think at the very latest Farya would have been introduced in S4 (Especially as they clearly want more Theon material.).

One of Ramsay's girls. She's one of the girls who seduces Theon before he gets castrated.

@Colonel Green: I agree she isn't a perfect fit, however I think it could work. Quite a few people are in on The Fake Arya thing in the books and it doesn't get out. Even if Ramsay's guys do remember some northern (presumably) prostitute he's hired posing as Arya, most would be too scared to say anything. As for the age she is a tad too old but not unreasonably so I don't think. Maisie will be 17 whilst filming S5, and Charlotte Hope can't be more than her early 20s. It'd be Dawson Casting, but the shows already full of that. Seeing as the show is deliberately playing fast and loose with the timelines you could easily say Arya is supposed to be 15/16 at this point, with Farya being played by someone in their early 20s.

If it isn't Myranda, then it's no one. She's the only person even close to appropriate and I think at the very latest Farya would have been introduced in S4 (Especially as they clearly want more Theon material.).

Thanks. I do understand your reasoning but I think they will just use a new character unless they cut the whole plot completely. Talisa or Ross would have made more sense but now they are both dead.

Archived