House Hardying of the Vale?

BaseBornBastard

Just a thought I was having....If/when Sweetrobin dies and Harry the Heir becomes Lord Paramount of the Vale, do you think he will change his name or not? Considering that House Arryn has ruled the Vale for thousands of years, it would make sense to take on the Arryn name, if even just for political reasons. However, there have been many dynasties in the real world that have changed this way.

And what would you do in Harry's position? Become Harry Arryn, for the sake of preserving the House name? Or remain Harry Hardying, and establish a new dynasty in your own name?

Since Littlefinger refers to him as 'The Young Falcon' I think it's implied he will adopt the name and sigil of House Arryn when the time comes. I don't know if it's ever explicitly stated though. This kind of thing must happen from time to time. There's no way all these ancient houses have been able to pass down their names from father to son for thousands of years without any problems.

It seems that in Westeros the prestige that comes with ancient names, like those of the Lords of the Seven Kingdoms, are of paramount importance. Arryn is not just the name of a noble house that is passed from father to son. It's also the name of the rulers of the Vale, and thus passed from one Lord to the next, even if this happens to be within the female line and the child was born with another name.

Name changes like that seem to happen only when one line replaces another by conquest or by appointment. Meaning Gardener->Tyrell, Targaryan->Baratheon or Stark->Bolton.

Archived