Why didn't Balon Greyjoy marry for a second time?

Nucky Thompson

Seemingly simple answer: He still loved his wife? For all we know, Balon was still a human being capable of emotion, and I don't think it's mentioned whether or not he has salt wives... the separation could have been the result of the deterioration of Alannys's mental state...

I agree there is literally no better explanation then this. Balon the Brainless loved his wife. We know he was capable of fathering children (he had 4 adult children) and yet nowhere are we introduced to a bastard son or daughter of the Balon.

And in the Ironborn culture were having salt wives is the most normal thing in the world, especially for those who follow the Old Way, it's more than a bit odd that Balon, the great defender of the Old Way, doesn't have any bastards. There must be a reason and that reason is simple. He loved his wife.

Why didn't Balon Greyjoy remarry? Why doesn't Stannis Remarry?

These are interesting questions, but the one that bothered me was why didn't Tywin remarry? I personally don't think Tyrion is his son. He doesn't have any faith that Cersei could be his heir. I doubt he wants one of his nephews taking over either.

Tywin tells his children they must remarry for the family... He never did. I know he loved his wife, but marriage in Westeros is not just about LOVE and no ones knows that more than Tywin.

He could've married a Hightower, maybe one of Jon Arryn's sisters, or a sneaky savy pick would've been an Yronwood. The real option would be marrying Lysa Tully instead of Jamie. (Tywin is younger then Jon Arryn and both needed Heirs)

He could've had another son to replace Jamie, but he refused to because he thought Jamie would always take over despite the Kingsguard rules. This may have been his greatest mistake.

Why didn't Balon Greyjoy remarry? Why doesn't Stannis Remarry?

These are interesting questions, but the one that bothered me was why didn't Tywin remarry? I personally don't think Tyrion is his son. He doesn't have any faith that Cersei could be his heir. I doubt he wants one of his nephews taking over either.

Tywin tells his children they must remarry for the family... He never did. I know he loved his wife, but marriage in Westeros is not just about LOVE and no ones knows that more than Tywin.

He could've married a Hightower, maybe one of Jon Arryn's sisters, or a sneaky savy pick would've been an Yronwood. The real option would be marrying Lysa Tully instead of Jamie. (Tywin is younger then Jon Arryn and both needed Heirs)

He could've had another son to replace Jamie, but he refused to because he thought Jamie would always take over despite the Kingsguard rules. This may have been his greatest mistake.

As you say, Tywin didn't want to marry and he didn't think it was necessary for him to produce more offsprings for House Lannister to survive.

In his eyes he had the perfect heir, Jaime. Jaime was still young and very desirable so all he needed is to get him out of KG (which he was sure he could) and find him a suitable match.

Cersei was the queen and her son was to be the next king. He helped to cement it by supporting Joff's marriage to Margaery and winning the war for him.

He didn't want to give CR to Tyrion but he wanted him to build a strong alliance through marriage (he was trying to pimp him around for ages) and to have Lannister children that could inherit from their mother's side.

Having a second generation of children (especially with a different spouse) is far less beneficial than ensuring that your existing kids are secure and provided (see the Freys). If Tywin put his eggs into multiple baskets he was potentially creating a dangerous situation for his heirs by potentially weakening their claims.

To sum it up. House Lannister is quite strong. Tywin has young and healthy heirs and brothers who have kids so there is no need for him to marry when Jaime, Tyrion, Lancel etc. are still unattached. If the House was in ruins and only his marriage could secure it, he would re-marry but otherwise NO.

Yeah, but it seems to be suggested to Stannis all throughout the series to remarry, and Selyse is alive and kicking. It seems that Stannis didn't consider it seriously because he saw the institution of marriage as a sacred one, but still, it wasn't ruled out as something that cannot technically be done, but instead was simply shrugged off by Stannis. And both he and his wife aren't followers of the Seven, but follow R'hlor instead, so it's not the septa solution there, either.

This is simply wrong: There is no indication whatsoever that anyone in-universe has ever suggested that Stannis should set Selyse aside. The idea only exists among certain forumers who seem to think physical unattractiveness is reason enough for divorce in a medieval society, and that Selyse's rather fierce (though platonic) devotion to her husband and the fact that she has produced an heir to his throne somehow don't matter.

As Mikkel has so eloquently put it, divorce simply isn't done, particularly not to a wife who has given birth to four healthy children. Though they are estranged, Balon's marriage to Alannys keeps the Harlaws close, and this might even have extended to one of Balon's brothers if Asha somehow hadn't made a claim in the event of Balon dying a natural death.

Archived