A Foreshadowing of the Foreshadowing

Westeros

You sure you didn't dream that? :)

I can't remember ever seeing anything like it. What season, what episode?

Opening scene of 2x04, the two Lannister soldiers just before they get mauled by Grey Wind.

It annoyed me that they had Brienne beat Jaime last season, it downplayed the loss of his hand.

In other news, I'm super happy they kept Joffery destroying Tyrion's wedding present.

In terms of the Jaime/Cersei love scene, they have to be careful not to go overboard or it'll be lumped in the same category as Littlefinger's sexposition in 1x07, the peephole scene in 2x02 and Ramsay's 'bitches' in 3x07.

Opening scene of 2x04, the two Lannister soldiers just before they get mauled by Grey Wind.

It annoyed me that they had Brienne beat Jaime last season, it downplayed the loss of his hand.

In other news, I'm super happy they kept Joffery destroying Tyrion's wedding present.

In terms of the Jaime/Cersei love scene, they have to be careful not to go overboard or it'll be lumped in the same category as Littlefinger's sexposition in 1x07, the peephole scene in 2x02 and Ramsay's 'bitches' in 3x07.

But if it's a scene that's actually from the books, it'll be OK, right?

The show specifically has a scene where two characters are trying to rank the best fighters in Westoros and Jaime is listed right at the top with the Mountain. Blame yourself for not paying attention well enough I guess.

Okay...

Still my point stands. Telling isn't the same as showing. The writers even went as far as having Brienne say "maybe people just love to overpraise a famous name". All I'm saying is it would've been better to show the audience how good he was, notably (as stated above) by having the J/B fight scene last longer and be more balanced.

Okay...

Still my point stands. Telling isn't the same as showing. The writers even went as far as having Brienne say "maybe people just love to overpraise a famous name". All I'm saying is it would've been better to show the audience how good he was, notably (as stated above) by having the J/B fight scene last longer and be more balanced.

And involve mud wrestling. Fucking instead of fighting. You caught me chastising my wife.

All the damn good book lines, what the hell, show dudes, give us the damn lines.

All the damn good book lines, what the hell, show dudes, give us the damn lines.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the show has an enormous number of lines lifted almost verbatim from the books.

OK, you'd like more, but let's not pretend nothing's there. it's extremely disingenuous.

Like I was saying, give us the good lines. There are so many they left out.

No closure between Jaime and Brienne at the end of the bearpit scene. Pissing contest between Jaime and Locke instead.

"You are still maiden, I hope?... Oh, good," Jaime said. "I only rescue maidens."...
"I am grateful, but... you were well away. Why come back?"
A dozen quips came to mind, each crueler than the one before, but Jaime only shrugged. "I dreamed of you," he said.

So here, the author is doing a few things. Jaime's angst was, he was afraid Brienne would be raped. He'd been trying to save her from that, all along. He was trying to protect her. So here, he was checking to see if she was OK. This was also playing on the whole, knight rescuing the maiden in the pink dress thing that was going on. And Jaime humor, which he manages to come up with even in the worst situations, which NCW could deliver so well. It's also showing her wondering why he came back... and him trying for the usual offhand remark, but coming up with something real... that viewers would have remembered forever, guarantee that line, "I dreamed of you," would have been in every recap/review. Again, NCW delivering that line, awesome. And easy to pull off even without the dream, just have him wake up from one.

And the fighting, too, I wish we'd seen a good creek fight. But I also wish we'd seen Jaime's attempt to break out, there was some good sword fighting then, too. Instead, we got kinslaying.

I too think that's very possible. Either it's the white tower scene, where Cersei tries to use sex to manipulate Jaime and he finally cottons on to this - or she recoils from his stump/golden hand. The show will need to be more obvious about the break between Jaime and Cersei since we can't be in his head.

So here, the author is doing a few things. Jaime's angst was, he was afraid Brienne would be raped. He'd been trying to save her from that, all along. He was trying to protect her. So here, he was checking to see if she was OK. This was also playing on the whole, knight rescuing the maiden in the pink dress thing that was going on. And Jaime humor, which he manages to come up with even in the worst situations, which NCW could deliver so well. It's also showing her wondering why he came back... and him trying for the usual offhand remark, but coming up with something real... that viewers would have remembered forever, guarantee that line, "I dreamed of you," would have been in every recap/review. Again, NCW delivering that line, awesome. And easy to pull off even without the dream, just have him wake up from one.

I only rescue maidens is one of the absolute best lines in the books, I speak to bookreaders among my friends and no-one gets its significance with most calling it clichéd: you first see it and think 'badass' then you realise the emotional depth it has - that Jaime outwardly is a perfect knight and were he so then the line would be a horrible cliché BUT HE IS PRECISELY NOT A PERFECT KNIGHT and Jaime has enough self-knowledge to be aware of all of this and I imagine him saying the line with a certain bitterness because although the act itself was typical of a true knight he knows it doesn't make up for everything that has gone before it. I try to explain this to people here in Russia which is even harder because the translations are clunky as hell. After Stannis's monologues this is the line I miss most on the show.

I only rescue maidens is one of the absolute best lines in the books, I speak to bookreaders among my friends and no-one gets its significance with most calling it clichéd: you first see it and think 'badass' then you realise the emotional depth it has - that Jaime outwardly is a perfect knight and were he so then the line would be a horrible cliché BUT HE IS PRECISELY NOT A PERFECT KNIGHT and Jaime has enough self-knowledge to be aware of all of this and I imagine him saying the line with a certain bitterness because although the act itself was typical of a true knight he knows it doesn't make up for everything that has gone before it. I try to explain this to people here in Russia which is even harder because the translations are clunky as hell. After Stannis's monologues this is the line I miss most on the show.

I agree, it's really big. And you're right, you explained it well.

No, because a sex scene between Jaime and Cersei would actually be very relevant to the plot and characterization, and completely different from something like the LF sexposition scene, which was basically about the showrunners thinking "Half of our audience is too shallow to follow a 5-minute monologue, they'd get bored, so we must have two naked chicks fucking and moaning while he's talking."

Archived