Who is the other survior at the Tower of Joy

Lord Falcon

Ned lies about Jon because he's family. He also participates in a lie that hurts his reputation. I can't see him lying about killing Arthur, something that helps his reputation. He could just as easily say Arthur was already dead, or had gone into exile, or give the glory to some dead northerner. I don't think he would take any credit for Arthur's death unless it was accurate.

Does it really hurt his reputation? I mean sure he has a bastard, but he's hardly any less loved by the North over it, half the lord of Westeros have bastards running around.

He could be covering for him for some reason, but since there's only one person left who can shed some light on what went down there we hve to wait to see if we get Howland's account. He will probably tell us the survivor was an oddly dressed foreigner with a weird magical wand. (just a guess though)

Does it really hurt his reputation? I mean sure he has a bastard, but he's hardly any less loved by the North over it, half the lord of Westeros have bastards running around.

He could be covering for him for some reason, but since there's only one person left who can shed some light on what went down there we hve to wait to see if we get Howland's account. He will probably tell us the survivor was an oddly dressed foreigner with a weird magical wand. (just a guess though)

He has an otherwise spotless reputation that is tarnished, in his view, by having fathered a bastard. It also has a profound and negative effect on his marriage to a woman whom he otherwise loves very much. Lying about Jon's parentage to save his life is different than taking credit for killing a man whom he didn't actually kill. He has no reason to lie about killing Arthur, and doing so brings him notoriety that, being Ned, he would not willingly accept if it weren't based in fact. If Ned says he killed Arthur, he killed Arthur.

I bet Martin did not even realise this when he wrote "they". One of those things that will never get resolved, and servants is a likely explanation that is not problematic in any way.

On the contrary, I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he wrote it. He's very careful with how he handles the numbers there otherwise: seven face three, two live. Ned is one of those two, and yet multiple people found him with Lyanna. One can be Howland, and I think we're meant to sort out the other. It's not a mistake, nor is it an accident.

He has an otherwise spotless reputation that is tarnished, in his view, by having fathered a bastard. It also has a profound and negative effect on his marriage to a woman whom he otherwise loves very much. Lying about Jon's parentage to save his life is different than taking credit for killing a man whom he didn't actually kill. He has no reason to lie about killing Arthur, and doing so brings him notoriety that, being Ned, he would not willingly accept if it weren't based in fact. If Ned says he killed Arthur, he killed Arthur.

He has no reason to lie about it, that we we know of.

But I do agree, Dayne is probably dead by Ned's or someone who was with him's hand

Obviously they mean the servants of the castle, and possibly squires of the Kingsgurad members there, though as I understand members of the Kingsguard usually don't have squires. There might have been some normal hired guards as well (who did not see a point resisting Ned and Howland due to the fact the Targs lost the war).

Archived