The 'White Walkers'? Why name change?

sleath56

I'm quite certain that the Lost writers have read ASoIaF too. Their Others are mysterious indigenous people, belived to have some supernatural abilities. They can't have babies, so they steal them or come up with plots to get them.

And as many on the internet have pointed out before me, Lost-Character Sawyer aka James is based on Jaime I guess. You think that in return Sawyer's look inpired NCW's look in the GoT show? And an importent character in Jamie's show-storyline is named Locke. Also D&D seem to be quite taken by Lost's typical episode-cliffhangers (farmer's boys/where are my dragons).

By the way: My first post. Hi, you guys! Thanks for this opportunity ;-)

Ahh...lost was inspired by Star Wars all the way. Jack was Luke, Kate was Leia, Sawyer was Han. Then Locke was Obi Wan and Hurley was Chewie. I've never seen anything on LOST to make me think the creators were big ASOIAF fans.

I don't have much of a problem with the change in theory (Others wasn't a very good name to begin with). The problem is that 'wight' sounds like 'white', so now they have a bunch of viewers that don't know the difference between wights and white walkers (Others).

I'm quite certain that the Lost writers have read ASoIaF too. Their Others are mysterious indigenous people, belived to have some supernatural abilities. They can't have babies, so they steal them or come up with plots to get them.

And as many on the internet have pointed out before me, Lost-Character Sawyer aka James is based on Jaime I guess. You think that in return Sawyer's look inpired NCW's look in the GoT show? And an importent character in Jamie's show-storyline is named Locke. Also D&D seem to be quite taken by Lost's typical episode-cliffhangers (farmer's boys/where are my dragons).

By the way: My first post. Hi, you guys! Thanks for this opportunity ;-)

Welcome to the forum. Only one problem I'd like to point out with your Lost/GoT character comparison, John Locke was named after the philosopher John Locke, a theme which Lost carries out throughout the series.

Lost's main villains were called "The Others", showrunners wanted to distance their main antagonists from them.

Because there is no sonic different between Others and others. In a book you can read a capital letter, you can't hear one. It would lead to confusion.

Hypothetical GoT: The Others!

Viewer: Whaaaaaat?

Exactly for those two reasons. Personally, I always found the name "Others" bland, uninteresting and unintentionally funny, mainly because my head canon came up with examples like the one pointed out by Konradsmith. White Walkers on the other hand... now that sounds intriguing and mystical.

Besides what most people already mentioned, that it would be a problem with phonetics i think their main concern is how scary they would be to the none book readers.

The Others are suppose to be beautiful but deadly and they probably wanted to avoid a Avatar type fan base.

Lost's main villains were called "The Others", showrunners wanted to distance their main antagonists from them.

Which is, of course, ridiculous reasoning as they are two different shows. They act as if the viewing audiences are plebs and cannot tell the difference between one show and another.

Which is, of course, ridiculous reasoning as they are two different shows. They act as if the viewing audiences are plebs and cannot tell the difference between one show and another.

I agree with this too, LOST had been gone long enough before GOT started.

Anyway no one has ever asked D&D, as far as I know, why or if there really has been a name change.

Just like nobody has ever asked why the change from Asha to Yara, we only have the speculation of some who think it's not to confuse Asha and Osha, which I think is silly considering it an adult audience watching.

It's not even clear in the books if the White Walkers and the Others are the same thing. Maybe the show just cut the Others and left in the White Walkers.

Good point.

George does not set down a definitive definition of what a WW is, what a wight is, as far as we know The Others are in command of the WW who are in command of the wights... and to further confuse thing THE GREAT OTHER is in change of the Others!

R'holler is the great enemy of THE GREAT OTHER ... what ever that means!

Oddly Carice van Houten used the term THE GREAT OTHER in an interview one time.

Archived