What Is Lightbringer?

D-A-C

Hey guys, simple question:

When Sam describes Stannis' sword Lightbringer to Maester Aemon near the end of ASoS, he mentions how the room gets physically darker when the sword is sheathed.

My question is ... what exactly is Lightbringer?

I'm not asking about the metaphorical or philosophical ideas of what Lightbringer may be (i.e. not a physical sword but a symbol), but rather is Stannis' sword some sort of reforged Valyrian Sword?

Kinda like how Tywin melted down Ice for two Lannister swords, that sort of thing?

Did Mellisandre or someone else take a normal Baratheon sword and reforge it?

Does the sword have any other extra properties aside from the extra light it provides?

Stannis has this to say about it in Davos V:

"Lightbringer!” Stannis gave a derisive snort. “It glimmers prettily, I’ll grant you, but on the Blackwater this magic sword served me no better than any common steel.

Taken with the Sam chapter where Aemon pisses all over the 'flaming blade' story I think that's about it.

From what I've read, Lightbringer is simply a sword that Melisandre enchanted to give off light. Maester Aemon felt no heat coming off it, and I trust him. It's really just a ploy to sway more gullible people to R'hollor's cause, that's all. If Stannis really was the "chosen one", why would Melisandre need to use magic to help his case?

now here's a question i have,m as im almost done with the reread of asos. yeah i truly believe lightbringer is a glamoured blade. it's one of the end sam chapters, i think the one where aemon shits all over "lightbringer." melisandre proclaims stannis as azor ahai, to which sam reflects stannis looked rather uncomfortable and dodgy.

heres my question:

melisandre claims him azor ahai, is it that he doesnt believe he IS azor ahai

or

do you think they both know he isnt, and hes using her to take iron throne, and shes using him to spread the word of rhllor (that they BOTH know he really isnt azor ahai, but are just using it as a front in a symbiotic relationship to gain power)

Archived