[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

I watched the first two seasons and loved them (season 1 more than 2 of course) before I read all five books right after each other. It's a testament to George's books that even me, someone who was introduced to ASoIaF through the show, would rather not watch the show but read the books first. I will not have such sure-to-be amazing moments like the battle of Winterfell be ruined for me in the show's sure-to-be mediocre and disappointing portrayal of it.

Well, I started watching the show first, so the choice is easy for me. I also don't see how one could realistically avoid spoilers if they choose to wait for the books, in this day and age; good luck to any who go this route.

It is an issue, though. I can't help but feel that we'll be getting the heavily watered-down version of whatever makes it to the screen before it's on page, as we have with most of the show in general. I suppose it'll make the book all the more richer for the details, but it definitely takes some of the impact away.

I don't think the show deserves to be punished for overtaking the books. I'll continue to support it and hopefully millions of other people will too.

I'm not gonna not watch the show to punish it, but because it's simply not even close to the level of quality and complexity the books are, and I'd rather experience the story in it's fullest form, not a watered down version.

I'm not gonna not watch the show to punish it, but because it's simply not even close to the level of quality and complexity the books are, and I'd rather experience the story in it's fullest form, not a watered down version.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to live long enough to see the books finished, so I'll take a watered down ending to a story over no ending at all.

I watched the first three seasons before I started reading the books, so you'd probably think that this is an easy choice for me but it's actually not. To my surprise, I got more enjoyment out of reading the books than I did watching it! I'd ideally like to read the end of the series before watching it, but I think the temptation and the risk of spoilers from the show would be too much to handle! So, yes, I probably would watch it.

I'd rather watch it than not. I wouldn't like that everyone else who watches the show and doesn't read the books would know how it all ended potentially years before I could read it for myself. I'd rather watch it for myself rather than trying to avoid spoilers for I don't know how long.

I would probably watch it to avoid spoilers since the show is so popular. Having said that, I really don't want the show to overtake the books.

I think most every single person would agree with that, unfortunately there's only one single person that can do anything about it, well aside from suiciding the show on purpose.

How ironic would it be for the show to spoil the books ending after all the big early events were spoiled for a lot of TV viewers. I personally started reading the books after I had Ned's death spoiled.

Same here :/

I knew Ned was a goner because of thread titles I've seen on forums not even related to ASoIaF/GoT. This was before I had watched the show OR read the books. All I knew was that some guy named Ned died on some new HBO show.

Archived