[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

Oh, I meant I would prefer to see the essentials of the book stories when it comes to characterization and relationships, and I am getting the impression that for some favorite characters, that won't happen. I think probably the show will overpass the books in season 6...

Oh, I meant I would prefer to see the essentials of the book stories when it comes to characterization and relationships, and I am getting the impression that for some favorite characters, that won't happen. I think probably the show will overpass the books in season 6...

Well yeah, they changed Stannis and Sansa to the bad for instance. But I can see them fixing that, at least for Stannis. It shouldn't be too hard to include a scene on the boat or after the fight that implies that Stannis didn't, in the end, go to the Wall because of Melisandre, but because of him wanting to fulfill his duty.

For Sansa: Is it just me, or did she look more self-confident in the trailer? I really hope they improve her character development.

Well, I don't know whether these were the characters you meant, but that's my impression. I don't think I need to explain how they screwd Daenerys and Tyrion so far. That's just obvious.

It depends on the situation. If Martin has said that the next book will be out next summer and the show starts in the spring, I'd wait for the books. If there's no chance of the books being released any time soon I'd watch the show.

That's a good way to think about it. Avoiding spoilers for just a couple of months is much easier than avoiding spoilers for several months to a year or longer.

That's a good way to think about it. Avoiding spoilers for just a couple of months is much easier than avoiding spoilers for several months to a year or longer.

I don't think that will ever happen. Getting the book right after the season? There are ways to avoid that: if they can get the book ready for the summer surely they can get it ready for a few months earlier (accelerating the editing and printing process).

I don't think that will ever happen. Getting the book right after the season? There are ways to avoid that: if they can get the book ready for the summer surely they can get it ready for a few months earlier (accelerating the editing and printing process).

The books are already edited as they are written so, no, they can't. Although in the case that the book is just being edited, it might be that they'll delay the season by a few months. At least, if it happens to be that the season which will be TWOW is starting to be written and we know that TWOW won't be released until a month or two later I think they might delay the writing in order to have the original source material.

Well yeah, they changed Stannis and Sansa to the bad for instance. But I can see them fixing that, at least for Stannis. It shouldn't be too hard to include a scene on the boat or after the fight that implies that Stannis didn't, in the end, go to the Wall because of Melisandre, but because of him wanting to fulfill his duty.

For Sansa: Is it just me, or did she look more self-confident in the trailer? I really hope they improve her character development.

Well, I don't know whether these were the characters you meant, but that's my impression. I don't think I need to explain how they screwd Daenerys and Tyrion so far. That's just obvious.

I agree. I was definitely thinking all of the ones you mentioned, but Sansa tops the list for me. It would be easy to fix, I'm just not very hopeful they will.

The books are already edited as they are written so, no, they can't. Although in the case that the book is just being edited, it might be that they'll delay the season by a few months. At least, if it happens to be that the season which will be TWOW is starting to be written and we know that TWOW won't be released until a month or two later I think they might delay the writing in order to have the original source material.

But there's a whole process of editing/correcting that it's done after the writing is done. If I'm not wrong, ADWD was "finished" in february 2011, yet it wasn't published until summer.

If Martin finishes the next book in february 2015, they will do anything possible to release it before season 5 (if that season spoils TWOW partially),.

How ironic would it be for the show to spoil the books ending after all the big early events were spoiled for a lot of TV viewers. I personally started reading the books after I had Ned's death spoiled.

I knew about Ned's death long before I even started to read the books or watch the show - through general cultural osmosis. People on the Internet just couldn't stop going on about Sean Bean dying in his roles, including the season 1 of GoT. Renly's and Robb's death also got spoiled for me in completely unexpected places.

Therefore, I am aware that, if I decided not to watch the show, I'd be spoiled in a worse way, unless I started living in a cave... or at least stopped going online altogether.

I'd still watch the show, I don't think I'd be able to help myself. However, I'd prefer if they did a prequel season of Roberts Rebellion or something instead of continuing the show without the book releases. Although, that would lessen the impact of the R+L=J reveal when it comes out.

I really hope this isn't going to happen.

I'd still watch the show, I don't think I'd be able to help myself. However, I'd prefer if they did a prequel season of Roberts Rebellion or something instead of continuing the show without the book releases. Although, that would lessen the impact of the R+L=J reveal when it comes out.

I really hope this isn't going to happen.

They'd probably have to recast several characters if they did this. Actors will move onto something else while they're waiting on new GoT stuff to film.

They'd probably have to recast several characters if they did this. Actors will move onto something else while they're waiting on new GoT stuff to film.

Basically. The oft-mooted prequel ideas would allow them to keep the crew busy, but not the cast, unless they did the ultra-gimmicky move of casting all the prequel characters with the current cast (Robert's Rebellion, featuring Maisie Williams as Lyanna Stark, Sophie Turner as Catelyn Tully, etc.).

Basically. The oft-mooted prequel ideas would allow them to keep the crew busy, but not the cast, unless they did the ultra-gimmicky move of casting all the prequel characters with the current cast (Robert's Rebellion, featuring Maisie Williams as Lyanna Stark, Sophie Turner as Catelyn Tully, etc.).

That would be dreadful! Don't the actors have a contract or something which means they have to continue until the end or most likely, until their character is killed off.

Keep watching, because hopefully D&D can make something solid out of the bloated mess that is Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons.

That, and the books will never be completed. Not going to dodge spoilers and wait 10 years only for GRRM to announce an 8th book and never finish.

Hell yea I would watch it, I want some closure and some resolution. The books are taking too long, especially now that it seems inevitable that the show will catch up. It would be a shame if the show had to go on hiatus and wait for the books, Rickon would have a beard or they would have to do a complete recast. So I'm going to take what I can get, when I can get it. I wish they would release the books in segments, 200-300 pages at a time, let's get on with it. I loved all five books, I did, that being said AFFC and ADWD were not as good as the first three books, makes you wonder if some of the juice is gone.

That would be dreadful! Don't the actors have a contract or something which means they have to continue until the end or most likely, until their character is killed off.

They would have contracts (though the hypothetical prequel would probably be occurring around the point where those contracts would be up), but TV series contracts are generally understood to have an unstated temporal component. If they're going to have no work for the actors for upwards of two years, they'd want to do other things.

Hell yea I would watch it, I want some closure and some resolution. The books are taking too long, especially now that it seems inevitable that the show will catch up. It would be a shame if the show had to go on hiatus and wait for the books, Rickon would have a beard or they would have to do a complete recast. So I'm going to take what I can get, when I can get it. I wish they would release the books in segments, 200-300 pages at a time, let's get on with it. I loved all five books, I did, that being said AFFC and ADWD were not as good as the first three books, makes you wonder if some of the juice is gone.

Rickon is going to be 6 foot tall with tattoos and a 5 o'lock shadow before he's 10. That would be awesome.

They probably will have to do quite a bit of recasting. Theon, Jaime, Tyrion, Lena even Arya are probably all fine with being a little older. You look at some other characters and wonder though (like Dany who hopefully does get recast). And Margery is not going to be able to pull off the trial no way. She's already 10 years too old for that, as great as Natalie Dormer is.

I wish they would slow down the TV series.

They probably will have to do quite a bit of recasting.

They're not going to recast any of the roles just because of age; they've notionally maintained the idea that each season/time between seasons equals about a year (Jaime claimed to be imprisoned for a year, for instance; and Aemon's dialogue in the finale makes it clear that the ranging lasted at least nine months), although this is in practice impossible to square with actual events.

Archived