[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

I agree that seven seasons is the likeliest scenario. Eight is possible. Nine is a very remote option.

In any case, having "A Dream of Spring" before April 2017 or even April 2018 seems like a very implausible preposition. Even more delusional is to think that HBO will "wait" for the books. If anything, HBO's owners are interested in overcoming the books! Being able to promote a season as "new for television" or "be the first to know about the fate of Westeros" will surely bring in more viewers and notoriety.

The question is no longer "if", but "when".

As for myself, I curse the the day GRRM sold the TV rights.

Couldn't agree more. After reading this thread and thinking logically about it, it seems like there is a very slim chance that the show will not overtake the books. Let's simplify this and say the last season of the show will run through 2018 (8 seasons total). Does anyone really think GRRM will put out 2 more books by then. I just don't see it.

Reading some of the posts here about the upcoming seasons. Let's assume the show runs for 8 seasons.

Those who say Feast+Dance should last Season 5 AND Season 6, and then use 1 season for Winds and 1 season for Spring...

Don't you think it's kind of stupid to dedicate TWO seasons to the least eventful books in the series (in terms of plot progression and in terms of popularity).. and then cram the supposed 2-book CLIMAX of the ENTIRE series into just two seasons.

Seems better to me to cut and rewrite the middle part and put it into 1 season (spread throughout Season 4 and most of Season 5) and then put as much as possible of Winds into Season 5 to speed up the plot and bring in the good stuff.

Then we'll have Season 6, 7 and 8 for the rest of the series CLIMAX. (the beginning of Winds really counts as the climax for the middle part of the series, as far as we know right now).

Further proof that this could be the actual case is that David and Dan said that season 3 was as big as they were gonna get in terms of plotlines and characters. That statement would be false if they intended to faithfully adapt Feast and Dance over 2 seasons.

Here is how I see it going season 4 will be the second half of storm of swords/ the beginning of feast for crows/ a dance with dragons. season 5 will be a feast for crows/ a dance with dragons with early wow material for bran and davos. seasons 6 and 7 will be wow and season 8 will be dos. Martin has until early 2015 about another year to finish wow. He has about 3 years early 2017 to finish dos. I think he will finish wow by early next year, but finish dos by early 2017 seems unlikely.

I think the chances that the show does not overpass the books is very slim. I am absolutely going to keep watching the show, even if GRRM is not finished with the books. While the books are great, there is no way that I am going to keep dodging spoilers for years until the books are finally complete. I'm way too curious, and I am actually fine with both a different ending for the show or spoilers for the upcoming books. I don't see a hiatus as an option.

Couldn't agree more. After reading this thread and thinking logically about it, it seems like there is a very slim chance that the show will not overtake the books. Let's simplify this and say the last season of the show will run through 2018 (8 seasons total). Does anyone really think GRRM will put out 2 more books by then. I just don't see it.

Why not? 2015 seems a safe bet for TWOW and then ADOS can be released in 2018 concurrently with the show. It's not like he's just started work on TWOW and being the last book it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect ADOS to go a little bit faster.

Why not? 2015 seems a safe bet for TWOW and then ADOS can be released in 2018 concurrently with the show. It's not like he's just started work on TWOW and being the last book it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect ADOS to go a little bit faster.

Its no use releasing ADOS concurrently with the show in 2018 - think about the production schedule and the time required to write scripts and plan a season's shooting. Season 4 was filmed during mid-2013, so obviously the scripts were written, and the whole season's production planned, well before then. D&D start writing and planning the next season pretty soon after they have finished shooting the previous one. From some of their earlier interviews, I thought they planned 4 seasons to cover ASOS, AFFC and ADWD (i.e. seasons 3-6), with some material from TWOW possibly being required very late in Season 6. Season 6 will air during 2016, but they will be filming it during the summer of 2015, meaning that they are going to need TWOW by the end of 2014, or very early 2015 at the latest. And if they go back to doing one season per book, they are going to need ADOS only 12 months later. So unless GRRM is very much more advanced than he has been letting on, I am not holding out any great hope for getting either book before the show overtakes him.

I wouldn't watch the show if it overtook the books, especially since I don't particularly like the show (I watched about half of season 1 before giving up), but when this happen, I might give up on the books. I feel GRRM already did give up on them, anyway, and almost every other project interests him more.

Its no use releasing ADOS concurrently with the show in 2018 - think about the production schedule and the time required to write scripts and plan a season's shooting. Season 4 was filmed during mid-2013, so obviously the scripts were written, and the whole season's production planned, well before then. D&D start writing and planning the next season pretty soon after they have finished shooting the previous one. From some of their earlier interviews, I thought they planned 4 seasons to cover ASOS, AFFC and ADWD (i.e. seasons 3-6), with some material from TWOW possibly being required very late in Season 6. Season 6 will air during 2016, but they will be filming it during the summer of 2015, meaning that they are going to need TWOW by the end of 2014, or very early 2015 at the latest. And if they go back to doing one season per book, they are going to need ADOS only 12 months later. So unless GRRM is very much more advanced than he has been letting on, I am not holding out any great hope for getting either book before the show overtakes him.

Or Martin can simply give D+D outlines of the plot and fragments of character dialogue so work on the show continues. Sadly it means that those final seasons can't be as close to the books, but I think at that point it will hardly matter anyway. I mean at this point we're already lucky to get more than one or two scenes which are actually taken from the books per episode, even if the majority of the plot points are the same.

This is how I see it

Season 4 - 2nd half of ASoS + a 1/4th of AFFC/ADWD - 2014

Season 5 - 3/4th AFFC/ADWD + parts from TWoW - 2015

Season 6 - All of the remaining parts from TWoW - 2016

Season 7 - 1st half of ADoS - 2017

Season 8 - 2nd half of ADoS - 2018

That one I agree with. As much as I hate it when they cut off huge chunks of book material ,if they drag out AFFC and ADWD they'll have to squeeze in all TWOW and ADOS stuff in only 2/3 seasons , which is practically impossible : they will be both endgame books, ie an awful lot is going to happen.

Wow is going to be a huge book similar to a storm of swords, one season is not enough. I feel that book will be split over seasons 6 and 7. Dos is also going to be big, but I assume HBO will give them an extended season 8 to finish the story.

I think I've read recently that Dinklage is contracted for 6 seasons... Honestly, personally I somewhat doubt they'll actually make it to 8 seasons. It will be 7 most likely, like most popular shows. Even True Blood which is probably currently the most popular tv shows HBO has, won't make it beyond season 7. The show will definitely take on the books, and the ending would be mostly an outline of what's coming in details in the books.

Game of Thrones overtook True Blood quite handily this season. GoT just had the most watched season in the history of HBO after the final season of Sopranos and is growing, not to mention the merchandising which has no equal in television. D&D want 8 seasons, they will easily get them.

Or Martin can simply give D+D outlines of the plot and fragments of character dialogue so work on the show continues. Sadly it means that those final seasons can't be as close to the books, but I think at that point it will hardly matter anyway. I mean at this point we're already lucky to get more than one or two scenes which are actually taken from the books per episode, even if the majority of the plot points are the same.

You'd certainly hope he would do this. There's so much criticism of D&D (a great deal of it unjustified IMHO!) but in adapting the books so far, they have been able to do so with knowledge of 'where' things were going up to the end of ADWD and plan accordingly, whether that was omitting/combining characters or just setting things up for something that comes much later. As you say, the overall plotlines and plot arcs are the same. But without all the detail of TWOW and ADOS, that becomes so much harder as seasons go on. Because of the timeframes, it really didn't surprise me to read about their long meeting with GRRM last year to discuss future directions, because they probably need to sow seeds or set things up in Seasons 4-6 for something that will not happen until the events of TWOW and ADOS. I hope that GRRM continues to fill them in on the necessary details so they can continue to write the show in line with what he may - eventually - get around to publishing.

I doubt it will go beyond 7 seasons, too.

I guess it depends on how long D&D have planned to take with ASOS, AFFC and ADWD, and just when they intended to get into TWOW. All that will have already been mapped out because of the long-term planning required. As I noted before, interviews with them seemed to indicate they wanted to take 3 1/2 to 4 seasons for adapting those three books, which would get them into TWOW at some stage during Season 6. Somehow though, I cannot see them getting through TWOW and ADOS in a few episodes of S6 plus Season 7 - I think they will need to go to Season 8 in order to wrap everything up.

And given the likely death toll in those last two books, who knows how many of the current actors will need to remain contracted right to the end of the series!! :D

Archived