[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

I think wow will be finished by the end of 2014 and sent to d&d . The book itself will be released

In the summer of 2015. Dos will not be finished by the end of 2015. That is when they would need it to plan out season 7. So the final season will be based off the outline of dos. So the show will overpass the books in season 7. It's a shame but it's going to happen.

We're still likely two years from that being a major concern, however.

I'm not so sure. They tend to end seasons with a glimpse of where everyone's headed, so I'm preparing myself for spoilers at the end of this season. All it'll take is a single line from Bloodraven about what he has planned for Bran, and considering they only have three chapters to draw oni think it's pretty likely.

The only way I can see George making it in time is, if tWoW is released before season 5 (Q12015) and aDoS is released before season 8 (season 8 being all of aDoS).

Except HBO just said there will only be seven seasons, so that's not going to happen.

The real question is what's going to happen to these forums. Will the ASOIAF boards be populated with threads tagged [sHOW SPOILERS]? And who will be the real unsullied?

If I lived on a deserted island, I'd definitely wait for the books first. But I don't see it actually being realistic when the time comes. And I want to know what happens.

As a Non-Reader, being spoiled a ton by Readers on Youtube, IGN, TvLine and numerous other websites, it's going to be a lot of fun having the Unsullied shoe on the other foot.

I can't wait to see everybody bitching about the minor changes Martin makes in his adaptation of Game of Thrones season 7.

This is a great point, how much of D&D changes will influence Martin? now that he's the one who has a material refrence to work with.

One has to wonder how surprised GRRM really is by this. As someone who works on the show, surely he must have had an inkling...

Martin was (at least outwardly) convinced that the show was going to get 2-3 seasons out of AFFC/ADWD for a good while, which was never remotely plausible.

Martin was (at least outwardly) convinced that the show was going to get 2-3 seasons out of AFFC/ADWD for a good while, which was never remotely plausible.

I thought there was an article a while ago with words from GRRM to that effect about 2-3 seasons for AFFC/ADWD, and then there was a quote from someone from HBO or one of the showrunners in that very same article debunking that idea.

It could just be GRRM putting up a brave front. If the TV writers made him spend a week in 2013 going over the fate of all the major characters and getting a blueprint to take them through to the end of the series, he must have known then what was up.

...It will be kind of exciting watching future seasons of the show in the absence of published books. We'll all be unsullied.

On the bright side, all that people who swore by all the gods they won't watch the show if it passes the book, will finally stop bitching about every small change in the show (they are the same people, I can't wait to see if they can keep their word :rolleyes: )

It could just be GRRM putting up a brave front. If the TV writers made him spend a week in 2013 going over the fate of all the major characters and getting a blueprint to take them through to the end of the series, he must have known then what was up.

Hard to say, I mean, even in the latest Vanity Fair article he goes on about how releasing The Winds of Winters will give him two additional years to write the final book, almost as if he expects it will be a two season adaption. One must remember, the man has a noted history of being overly optimistic, almost painfully so.

Hard to say, I mean, even in the latest Vanity Fair article he goes on about how releasing The Winds of Winters will give him two additional years to write the final book, almost as if he expects it will be a two season adaption. One must remember, the man has a noted history of being overly optimistic, almost painfully so.

Didn't somebody post a quote from the postscript to AFFC saying he "devoutly" hoped that ADWD would be out the next year (when it fact it took five years)? :D

Didn't somebody post a quote from the postscript to AFFC saying he "devoutly" hoped that ADWD would be out the next year (when it fact it took five years)? :D

AFfC:

MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE WALL...

Hey, wait a minute!” some of you may be saying about now. “Wait a minute, wait a minute! Where’s Dany and the dragons? Where’s Tyrion? We hardly saw Jon Snow. That can’t be all of it... .”

Well, no. There’s more to come. Another book as big as this one.

I did not forget to write about the other characters. Far from it. I wrote lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. Chapters and more chapters. I was still writing when it dawned on me that the book had become too big to publish in a single volume... and I wasn’t close to finished yet. To tell all of the story that I wanted to tell, I was going to have to cut the book in two.

The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with “To Be Continued.” The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. So that’s the route I chose to take.

Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davos Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Dance with Dragons, which will focus on events along the Wall and across the sea, just as the present book focused on King’s Landing.

—George R. R. Martin

June 2005

Six years later, in ADwD

It has been a while between books, I know. So a reminder may be in order.

[...]

Next up, The Winds of Winter. Wherein, I hope, everybody will be shivering together once

again…

—George R. R. Martin

April 2011

You know the one person that will have to quit watching the show if it overtakes the books is GRRM himself. Otherwise he might get ideas that D&D made up.

Kinda like how he doesn't visit the internet forums for fear of getting "good ideas" from someone else.

Except I do see any possible way that he could avoid getting "spoiled" by the TV show. I mean all his red carpet interviews, con appearances, etc. etc. etc.

You know the one person that will have to quit watching the show if it overtakes the books is GRRM himself. Otherwise he might get ideas that D&D made up.

Kinda like how he doesn't visit the internet forums for fear of getting "good ideas" from someone else.

Except I do see any possible way that he could avoid getting "spoiled" by the TV show. I mean all his red carpet interviews, con appearances, etc. etc. etc.

But doesn't GRRM have some kind of obligation towards HBO ? I thought he had a contract stating he had to take part in whatever the show's doing, especially when it comes to the writing... Might be wrong though.

Yeah, George commited to write an episode per season, and surely some of the promotional acts and interviews are also in the contract. However, I assume that HBO could release him of the obligation in the situation that a potential final season surpasses the books.

As a Non-Reader, being spoiled a ton by Readers on Youtube, IGN, TvLine and numerous other websites, it's going to be a lot of fun having the Unsullied shoe on the other foot.

Well even though the readers expect about 75% of what will happen in s4, there are certain parts especially Asha/Yara and a few others that we dont know what is going to happen. I think we may even see some WOW content in s5 for certain characters in the finale. So GRRM might not even have WOW out before some content is seen already on tv, so he really needs to get going

I'm not so sure. They tend to end seasons with a glimpse of where everyone's headed, so I'm preparing myself for spoilers at the end of this season. All it'll take is a single line from Bloodraven about what he has planned for Bran, and considering they only have three chapters to draw oni think it's pretty likely.

I doubt that they'll use all of Bran's material this season. I expect all but the final episode will be his journey through the Haunted Forest. I'm certainly not expecting any TWOW material this season, and I still remain optimistic that Martin can stay ahead of the show.

Archived