[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

I really can't understand how people who have been following this story for almost 18 years, prefer to wait another 10 more years for the books to be done, instead of just 3 with the show.

To me the question it's not book vs show, of course I would have loved to read the books first, but between, the show version or not ending for another decade (if the books are even finished at all) i'd take the show. Once the books are done, I'll read them, it's not the end of the world, I've read a lot of books after watching their film adaptation and it never ruined the fun for me :dunno:

I really can't understand how people who have been following this story for almost 18 years, prefer to wait another 10 more years for the books to be done, instead of just 3 with the show.

To me the question it's not book vs show, of course I would have loved to read the books first, but between, the show version or not ending for another decade (if the books are even finished at all) i'd take the show. Once the books are done, I'll read them, it's not the end of the world, I've read a lot of books after watching their film adaptation and it never ruined the fun for me :dunno:

Exactly wanting to read the books first is natural, but reading the books after watching the show doesn't ruin the books anymore than watching the show after reading the books ruins the show. Just enjoy the ride.

They cast Bloodraven, so he'll get to Bloodraven by the end, though I suspect only in the last episode.

I suspect that they'll introduce him in a dream like they did with Jojen. I mean without Coldhands they really kinda need to know where they're going don't they?

I suspect that they'll introduce him in a dream like they did with Jojen. I mean without Coldhands they really kinda need to know where they're going don't they?

As much as I want Coldhands to be introduced, they can just have Jojen or Bran have some sort of vision/dream that would lead them to the cave : a bit silly, but they don't seem to put so much effort in Bran's storyline anyway.

This is why some think that the series would in the end have 8 books. Simple fact is that ADwD didn't cover nearly as much as Martin had hoped. For example, he initially planned Dany's penultimate ADwD chapter as her first, meaning that Dance encompassed only TWO of the originally planned chapters! And since Tyrion, Victarion, Aegon, and others have to be in sync with Dany's material, it's easy to see there's A LOT missing.

This isn't quite accurate, although it's a mistake I've also made. Apparently the original first chapter in ADWD was Dany imprisoning the dragons and Drogon fleeing (or the chapter after that point). I misremembered that as her fleeing the arena.

So on that basis there's rather a lot more of her story in ADWD than is thought (post-AFFC anyway). Not 2 chapters, but I think 6 or 7. However, at one point GRRM was postulating 15+ chapters for Dany in ADWD. Assuming that Barristan's might pick up the slack from 1 or 2 of those, it's clear he did want to get Dany's storyline further covered in ADWD. It makes me wonder how long she was/is going to spend amongst the Dothraki before getting back to Meereen, taking care of business and getting to Westeros.

This isn't quite accurate, although it's a mistake I've also made. Apparently the original first chapter in ADWD was Dany imprisoning the dragons and Drogon fleeing (or the chapter after that point). I misremembered that as her fleeing the arena.

So on that basis there's rather a lot more of her story in ADWD than is thought (post-AFFC anyway). Not 2 chapters, but I think 6 or 7. However, at one point GRRM was postulating 15+ chapters for Dany in ADWD. Assuming that Barristan's might pick up the slack from 1 or 2 of those, it's clear he did want to get Dany's storyline further covered in ADWD. It makes me wonder how long she was/is going to spend amongst the Dothraki before getting back to Meereen, taking care of business and getting to Westeros.

I'm glad it's not quite as bad as I thought. Even so, if this 15+ business is true, that's a lot of ground to cover before Dany finally reaches Westeros - late in TWoW perhaps? Martin's plan was for Dany to spend more or less the entirety of the last two books in Westeros. Can he wrap up the story in only one book and change?

When will Martin address these articles and the possibility (inevitability?) of the show finishing before the books? A few words from GRRM could put a lot discussion and ridiculous theorization about how HBO could delay the series to rest. It would be better for fans and GRRM in the long run.

Exactly wanting to read the books first is natural, but reading the books after watching the show doesn't ruin the books anymore than watching the show after reading the books ruins the show. Just enjoy the ride.

Sorry, but saying that the TV show won't ruin the books is like saying reading a full summary of a book (or movie) doesn't ruin it. If you read "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time" before watching The Sixth Sense, wouldn't you call that "ruining the movie"?.

The TV show is in a sense a "summary" of the books, it doesn't have all the characters, it doesn't have all the situations, all the backstory, just the "main points", just like a summary does. The summaries of http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters have around 600 words each. That makes 48.000 for the 80 chapters of A Storm of Swords. A GOT script averages 5000 words, so that makes 50.000 for a 10-episode season. So roughly similar, specially compared to the 424.000 words the book A Storm Of Swords actually has.

If someone asked you "hey, are you gonna read the summaries of the chapters before reading The Winds Of Winter?". The answer obviously would be NO. The problem of course is that with the show you risk being spoiled big time even if you don't watch the show. So that's the only thing to ponder, really. How someone could spoil the books with the TV show (specially when the Tv show is SOOOO inferior) on purpose is beyond me.

One doesn't read a book just to see how it ends.

How someone could spoil the books with the TV show (specially when the Tv show is SOOOO inferior) on purpose is beyond me.

I started reading the books after I watched the first three seasons, and I still enjoyed it. I'll gladly watch the show after it passes the books because I know I will still enjoy reading the books if GRRM finishes the series. Also, the show isn't inferior but different. The books are more complex, but complexity is not necessarily superiority.

Sorry, but saying that the TV show won't ruin the books is like saying reading a full summary of a book (or movie) doesn't ruin it. If you read "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time" before watching The Sixth Sense, wouldn't you call that "ruining the movie"?.

The TV show is in a sense a "summary" of the books, it doesn't have all the characters, it doesn't have all the situations, all the backstory, just the "main points", just like a summary does. The summaries of http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters have around 600 words each. That makes 48.000 for the 80 chapters of A Storm of Swords. A GOT script averages 5000 words, so that makes 50.000 for a 10-episode season. So roughly similar, specially compared to the 424.000 words the book A Storm Of Swords actually has.

If someone asked you "hey, are you gonna read the summaries of the chapters before reading The Winds Of Winter?". The answer obviously would be NO. The problem of course is that with the show you risk being spoiled big time even if you don't watch the show. So that's the only thing to ponder, really. How someone could spoil the books with the TV show (specially when the Tv show is SOOOO inferior) on purpose is beyond me.

As I said, I read a lot of books after watching the film adaptation and it didn't ruin the book, just like (thanks to popular culture) I knew the end of most classic books and movies, yet I enjoy them when I read/watch them, but to each their own I guess. An particulary to GoT/ASOIAF, I rather watch the show when it airs (3 years from now), instead of waiting a decade for GRRM to finish, if he ever finish the books.

Different people prefer different mediums. And many like them all, or don't differentiate between them in a heirarchical way.

But there''s quite a few ASoIaF fans who wish some of those thousands of words in the books had been edited out that's for sure!

I don't wish spoliers on anyone, but it's going to be hard. Maybe you will log-on to a harmless Bruce Willis fan-site and out of the blue someone will tell you how ASoIaF ends.

The TV show is in a sense a "summary" of the books, it doesn't have all the characters, it doesn't have all the situations, all the backstory, just the "main points", just like a summary does. The summaries of http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters have around 600 words each. That makes 48.000 for the 80 chapters of A Storm of Swords. A GOT script averages 5000 words, so that makes 50.000 for a 10-episode season. So roughly similar, specially compared to the 424.000 words the book A Storm Of Swords actually has

Except A Storm of Swords will end up being somewhere between 15-20 episodes, 75k-100k words if indeed your average figures are accurate.

Doesn't compute. ADWD was released two years before S3 aired. How can it be spoiled by the show?

The producers explain in many interviews that S3 adapts "roughly" the first part of ASOS. I guess that someone who has read ASOS but not ADWD, and decides to watch the show based on B&W's comments has some justification for being pissed off.

That's something that I think B&W owe us if/when they delve into new material. If any storyline in S5 hasn't appeared on the published books and it's based on the insider information they got from GRRM, they should warn of it beforehand.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/game-of-thrones-spoilers-hbo-death-alex-graves-season-4-episode-2/

DEADLINE: The show is getting close to almost completely catching up to George R.R. Martin’s books. Where can we go for the rest of the season and the other two seasons that HBO has renewed the show for?

GRAVES: I have to be careful how I answer that. First of all the show is still in the books and it won’t be out of the books here for another season and hopefully by then the first of the last book will be done. But I can only say that David and Dan and George have it all very well in hand.

That's something that I think B&W owe us if/when they delve into new material. If any storyline in S5 hasn't appeared on the published books and it's based on the insider information they got from GRRM, they should warn of it beforehand.

From what I've heard, that sort of thing is already going to begin happening in Stannis' storyline this season.

Archived