[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

There's way too much content, they won't be able to swing that

Their "adaptation" of these two books will be some Jon stuff, Cersei's whole arc, Dany in Meereen and tons of Dorne. I'd be very, very surprised if Greyjoys make it in. They will be done with these two books by the end of the season, hell there will be even invented stuff like those Jaime rumors.

Hello everyone, I am a long time lurker and I am a bit afraid of watching season five because of possible spoilers and because I seem to be one of the few people who really loves Feast and Dance. Season four I found disappointing for the most part (though it had its moments). Remaining unspoiled will be hard but I think I could pull it off if I just "unlike" the official Facebook page, I don't live in the US and the show doesn't get much media coverage so that would not be much of a problem. I will probably end up watching it at some point, but not before I have read Winds.

Are there any other people who feel the same way?

Hello everyone, I am a long time lurker and I am a bit afraid of watching season five because of possible spoilers and because I seem to be one of the few people who really loves Feast and Dance. Season four I found disappointing for the most part (though it had its moments). Remaining unspoiled will be hard but I think I could pull it off if I just "unlike" the official Facebook page, I don't live in the US and the show doesn't get much media coverage so that would not be much of a problem. I will probably end up watching it at some point, but not before I have read Winds.

Are you also willing to stay off of YouTube?

Do your friends on social media discuss the show (you need to ask yourself this every year as some may later become fans)?

I think it is a futile effort, not only because spoilers are everywhere and getting randomly spoiled can happen at any time, but because I am a firm believer in Martin never finishing the series (168 pages... strong possibility of an eighth book...).

Their "adaptation" of these two books will be some Jon stuff, Cersei's whole arc, Dany in Meereen and tons of Dorne. I'd be very, very surprised if Greyjoys make it in. They will be done with these two books by the end of the season, hell there will be even invented stuff like those Jaime rumors.

I think the Greyjoys will make it in otherwise the Theon/Asha storyline becomes too much of a sideshow. However, I think they will condense the story - they probably skip or the Kingsmoot and associated backdoor politiciking and just name Euron king. They might even combine Victarion/Euron into a single character. I think they do the same with Brienne storyline - they don't need her long-winded journey with her going to Duskendale and Maidenpoole and running into Septon Meribald and Ser Hyle Hunt/etc.. They've indicated they've already gone in that direction with her battle against the Hound (though admittedly I haven't seen season 4 yet).

From my experience, it's really easy to keep yourself at distance from the show and everything about the show. Admittedly, I don't have an account neither on facebook nor on twitter, but during the course of the show there were few instances where the show was completely out of my universe for weeks (I'm talking about the period during which the season is premiering), even though I'm on internet for quite a few hours each day. But, even if you do catch some news or "spoilers" about the show, be advised not to give them too much importance. As proven by how much liberty D&D took in "adapting" the first three books, I'm pretty sure nothing from the future seasons will automatically be a spoiler for the books, because D&D will probably deviate even more now they're on uncharted territory.

From my experience, it's really easy to keep yourself at distance from the show and everything about the show. Admittedly, I don't have an account neither on facebook nor on twitter, but during the course of the show there were few instances where the show was completely out of my universe for weeks (I'm talking about the period during which the season is premiering), even though I'm on internet for quite a few hours each day. But, even if you do catch some news or "spoilers" about the show, be advised not to give them too much importance. As proven by how much liberty D&D took in "adapting" the first three books, I'm pretty sure nothing from the future seasons will automatically be a spoiler for the books, because D&D will probably deviate even more now they're on uncharted territory.

But they haven't deviated on any major plot points so far. There's no reason to believe they will start next season, unless there's something you know that I don't.

But they haven't deviated on any major plot points so far. There's no reason to believe they will start next season, unless there's something you know that I don't.

If Stoneheart is cut that's the one. Given what happens in ADWD Tysha can be argued as one as well.

The Hound is killed by Brienne. Robb's wife is killed at the Red Wedding. Nobody knows Bran and Rickon are dead (actually, everybody seems to know they're alive). Xaro is dead in the vault. Irri was killed by Doreah who was stealing Dany's dragons. After killing the remaining rulers of Qhart, Dany was effectively the ruler of Qhart. Tyrion and Jaime are still best friends. Jaime and Cersei are still in love. Shae loved Tyrion, but eventually betrayed him and tried to kill him. Tyrion did kill Shae, but he still loves her. Jaime killed his cousin for no reason at all. Sansa has no problem telling who she is. Arya has no problem telling who she is. Jon and Bran miss each other barely at Craster's, because Bran made a decision not to contact his brother. Jojen is dead. And so on.

If these aren't major - or better: important - points in the story, then I guess the Reader's Digest or an internet summary is also a faithful adaptation. And let's not forget that, so far, D&D were "adapting" the published books, e.g. every book reader could easily recognize any deviation. Once they step on the still unpublished territory of TWOW and ADOS, I'm pretty sure the deviations are only going to increase.

:agree:

Also we have to mention the fact that Jaime is going to Dorne. There are no fundaments for him to rethink his realtionship with Cersei. No Strong Belwas. If Michelle told in the interview that there will be no LS then HOW they plan to do DwD Brienne and Jaime arc ?! Varys is going with Tyrion to Essos. There are no Greyjoys in the game yet. [ As well as Martells but s5 will feature them ]. Also how do they want to reintroduce Jaquen ?

Also we have to mention the fact that Jaime is going to Dorne. There are no fundaments for him to rethink his realtionship with Cersei. No Strong Belwas. If Michelle told in the interview that there will be no LS then HOW they plan to do DwD Brienne and Jaime arc ?! Varys is going with Tyrion to Essos. There are no Greyjoys in the game yet. [ As well as Martells but s5 will feature them ]. Also how do they want to reintroduce Jaquen ?

The Hound is killed by Brienne. Robb's wife is killed at the Red Wedding. Nobody knows Bran and Rickon are dead (actually, everybody seems to know they're alive). Xaro is dead in the vault. Irri was killed by Doreah who was stealing Dany's dragons. After killing the remaining rulers of Qhart, Dany was effectively the ruler of Qhart. Tyrion and Jaime are still best friends. Jaime and Cersei are still in love. Shae loved Tyrion, but eventually betrayed him and tried to kill him. Tyrion did kill Shae, but he still loves her. Jaime killed his cousin for no reason at all. Sansa has no problem telling who she is. Arya has no problem telling who she is. Jon and Bran miss each other barely at Craster's, because Bran made a decision not to contact his brother. Jojen is dead. And so on.

If these aren't major - or better: important - points in the story, then I guess the Reader's Digest or an internet summary is also a faithful adaptation. And let's not forget that, so far, D&D were "adapting" the published books, e.g. every book reader could easily recognize any deviation. Once they step on the still unpublished territory of TWOW and ADOS, I'm pretty sure the deviations are only going to increase.

And Gendry is still rowin' after being sold and leeched :lmao:

If Arya will met him in the next season just because there was a BIG FEELING between them.... :bang:

Don't think it will happen, but in relation to this, I don't think I'm liking very much Jaqen coming back. Don't get me wrong, the character (and actor) is awesome, but the point of Arya's arc is Braavos is that she is completely alone and isolated. I'm not sure how old Buddy Jaqen plays into that.

Are you also willing to stay off of YouTube?

Do your friends on social media discuss the show (you need to ask yourself this every year as some may later become fans)?

I think it is a futile effort, not only because spoilers are everywhere and getting randomly spoiled can happen at any time, but because I am a firm believer in Martin never finishing the series (168 pages... strong possibility of an eighth book...).

Well I won't have to stay off YouTube entirely, I must just avoid Game of Thrones season 5 content, that shouldn't be so hard.

So far no one I know has discussed the show on Facebook, though you're right this may change later.

Well I think season 5 would be a good way to "test" it since I don't think there will be a lot of spoilers in the first half. If it turns out to be too hard I might just start watching.

Don't think it will happen, but in relation to this, I don't think I'm liking very much Jaqen coming back. Don't get me wrong, the character (and actor) is awesome, but the point of Arya's arc is Braavos is that she is completely alone and isolated. I'm not sure how old Buddy Jaqen plays into that.

I was initially excited to see Dorne, but after hearing the rumours of Jaime going there my excitement dropped. I am not happy about Jaqen either, I feel exactly the same way you do, HairGrowsBack. If in fact Jaqen turns up in Arya's storyline, this could cause a major butterfly effect for the Oldtown storyline (which they could end up cutting out entirely).

And Gendry is still rowin' after being sold and leeched :lmao:

Opening this thread was worth it just for this. Sold, leeched, and still row, row, a rowin'!! LMAO

It's going to be hard to tell spoilers from their own invented material on the show going forward. It depends how a person takes that type of thing, along with the not knowing which is which that I guess should inform each reader and viewer's decision.

Hopefully, GRRM will get busy and isn't stuck rowin' too.

Once the series overtakes the books completely, and proceeds to 'end' Game of Thrones, it will be so interesting to compare the visual representation versus the print. I think this will be a first, that the visual product finished the print source material. If anyone can think of another example, I would be pleased to know it. But this brings up so many questions,

1. As a culture, is the visual overtaking print and what are the ramifications, if any? I have read the books but at this point, Peter Dinklage IS Tyrion and I cannot remember how I imagined Tyrion might look, pre-Dinklage. As these visually imposed characters march to the end, will this impact other works. Will Margaret Atwood have a book half-finished and sell it to HBO? [please, no} It feels like my imagination has been coerced and I do not like that, yet I watch the show and will continue to do so, because like so many others, I want (need) an end.

2. Why did GRRM allow HBO to be in this position? What was he thinking? I have seen others post that it was a monetarily based decision but I tend to think that maybe Martin thought he would be closer to the conclusion than he is. It troubles me to see him in interviews seeming actually kind of relaxed about not even having book 6 done by now.

3. And to be completely candid, if my favorite characters make it to the end, satisfactorily, in the television series, will I actually read the books when they come out? Will I care enough to read the GRRM product, and will others? Will this result in lower sales figures? Or does it depend on whether the next book will come out before 2020???

Once the series overtakes the books completely, and proceeds to 'end' Game of Thrones, it will be so interesting to compare the visual representation versus the print. I think this will be a first, that the visual product finished the print source material. If anyone can think of another example, I would be pleased to know it. But this brings up so many questions,

1. As a culture, is the visual overtaking print and what are the ramifications, if any? I have read the books but at this point, Peter Dinklage IS Tyrion and I cannot remember how I imagined Tyrion might look, pre-Dinklage. As these visually imposed characters march to the end, will this impact other works. Will Margaret Atwood have a book half-finished and sell it to HBO? [please, no} It feels like my imagination has been coerced and I do not like that, yet I watch the show and will continue to do so, because like so many others, I want (need) an end.

2. Why did GRRM allow HBO to be in this position? What was he thinking? I have seen others post that it was a monetarily based decision but I tend to think that maybe Martin thought he would be closer to the conclusion than he is. It troubles me to see him in interviews seeming actually kind of relaxed about not even having book 6 done by now.

3. And to be completely candid, if my favorite characters make it to the end, satisfactorily, in the television series, will I actually read the books when they come out? Will I care enough to read the GRRM product, and will others? Will this result in lower sales figures? Or does it depend on whether the next book will come out before 2020???

Full Metal Alchemist did the same thing...the manga was first, then the anime was made, but overtook the manga. However, the anime chose to go an entirely different route with the storyline (or they just may have not known the storyline), so the ends of both are very different from one another.

1. I don't really see any ramifications at all, to be honest.

2. Who knows? Maybe he overestimated how fast he could write, perhaps he simply didn't care if the show surpassed his work, or maybe he just really wanted the money. Whatever his reasoning, he was the one to put himself into his current position, and no one else.

3. The book readers will still buy the books. Those who really loved the show and are sad that the show is over will still probably buy the books. Those who were never interested in the books in the first place probably won't. We will still buy the books in our household, but I don't know how enthusiastic I will be to read them if it's 6 years from now.

Guesses that work:

Jaime is going to Dorne. There are no fundaments for him to rethink his realtionship with Cersei.

- Cersei can get mad at him for letting Tyrion out of jail and/or Jaime can catch Cersei humping Lancel.

No Strong Belwas.

- Have someone else eat the honeyed locusts and die.

If Michelle told in the interview that there will be no LS then HOW they plan to do DwD Brienne and Jaime arc ?!

- They can introduce Lady S in season 6. Fairley could be misleading or wrong. Or she could be cut because her unfinished plot doesn't go anywhere. Until D&D themselves confirm it, I don't believe it because they know the secrets not an actor and not the director who won't even be working on season 5 episodes.

Varys is going with Tyrion to Essos.

- He can drop off Tyrion somehwere and go back to King's Landing and murder Kevan.

There are no Greyjoys in the game yet.

- Season 6. Balon likely to die this season setting up kingsmoot and intro to Euron and Victarion in S6.

Also how do they want to reintroduce Jaquen ?

- the actor who played Jaqen might not be the same Jaqen. He could be a different faceless man wearing the same face because it's generic face #5 in their little face factory temple. Spooky eh?

Or he could be jaqen and posing as Pate or they throw out the kindly man and have Jaqen teach arya everything. just have to wait and see. the show's been good so far, it's not going to be terrible.

Archived