[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

but seriously, i'm starting to get exhausted of discussing theories and hearing about others' flop opinions. just give me the ending and tell me what happens to my faves at this point. i have no clue how there are people who've been into ASOIAF since the beginning and still have patience to discuss stuff and are willing to stop watching the show and wait for GRRM's slow ass to finish these damn books.

What do you mean by "flop opinions"? Stuff like believing that Benjen is Coldhands?

Emilia Clarke's crappy acting will probably make Dany's ending look like a total joke. Same with Kit Harington. Add some boobs for the final shot and we're done. The situation sucks. I'll try to avoid the show as much as possible, but I'm sure I'll get spoiled in the end. It's inevitable. At least I hope Winds of Winter is released before season 6. Small chance but hope never dies.

I will still be watching it too *Sigh* partner is unsullied so will end up watching it anyway. He won't even watch the trailer in case it spoils it eugh.

I also do not want to wait till 2016 or longer for WoW and then ADoS which will probs be another 6years for that too! Even though they are worth the wait, best books I have ever read so far.

Would certainly agree with you about TV characters being better looking than their show counterparts, thats usually inevitable. However, you bring up the example of Tyrion killing Shae as more surprising in the show than in the books. Thats because the show makes it look like he wouldn't have done it if Shae hadn't gone for the knife, intending to kill him. That forces him into a corner, makes it look like he has no choice. In the show he murders her in cold blood, out of fury and malice. There is no other word for that change than whitewashing. Then we move on to his scene with Tywin in the privy. In the book, there's no hint of sadness, or self pity from Tyrion, as there is in the show. Rather, he's cold and resolved. He's getting the answers he wants from Tywin and then killing him. In the show, there's almost this "why have you pushed me to this level father, why have you driven me to the point of killing you?" What that does is lift the responsibility of Tyrion's actions from his shoulders, making him purely the victim. Don't get me wrong, he is a victim, and Tywin has driven him to murder. But that doesn't absolve him of murder, or redeem him, and yet the show seems to be trying to do that.

What all this comes down to is not about visual representation; Tyrion murdering Shae in cold blood would have made for extremely compelling viewing. Rather, it comes down to using Tyrion as a safety net; he's emphatically emerged as the most popular character, and HBO are, in my opinion, putting pressure on D&D to keep it that way, rather than letting the character evolve naturally. Because the truth is no one could go through what Tyrion went through without coming out the other end much darker.

I agree the Tyrion changes you note from book to show are present. I agree it is whitewashing of the Tyrion character as written. I'm not so sure that the Tyrion character as written is better than the Tyrion character as filmed.

I've lost all sympathy for book Tyrion - yea, he had it rough but not as rough as other dwarves in his world - he's ended up not too far removed from Gregor or Ramsay, when you think about it. Rough childhood, learns to kill without regret. Sore legs/sore head - learns to kill without regret.

I can still sympathise with show Tyrion and would be sad if he dies - book Tyrion I kind of can't wait :D

The books are very good at setting up their moral grey - but they almost become so grey that you start not to feel for any of the characters. After reading Tyrion, I actually agreed with show Tywin calling him a mean spirited creature of low cunning, or whatever it was.

NB - I personally think GRRM is writing it this way so you realise people are the truer 'monsters' and sympathise with the fantastical monsters and monstrously fantastic acts from some of the characters at the end but, because the fantastic elements are still fairly low key by book 5, it isn't really giving you a chance to warm to them, either.

I always intended to watch season #5 as it came out as it will be mostly based on the books. I've mostly thought in terms of not watching season #6 until the book comes out, which will hopefully be at worst only a few months of waiting (if any at all).

Season #7 will be the problem, to see if it is possible to wait a number of years before watching it, especially if there is an eighth book, as I'd much rather read how it finishes in the books than to let the TV series spoil the ending.

I still know nothing about the Greyjoys, Aegon, LSH, etc. I skip over 90% of the posts. Mostly just read posts that quote me.

Don't read the books....listen to them! Go get the Audiobooks and listen to them in car, while doing things around the house...Then...when you're hooked...read them!

Are the audiobooks good?

It's mainly how I 'read' the books anymore. I enjoy them because I can do other things while I'm listening to them. Doltrice has a few problems, but they are minor when you consider that he has to read the voices for hundreds of different people and make them sound different.

Archived