[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

Does season 4 contain major spoilers for ADwD, or can it be watched having only read up until the end of AFfC?

I can think of one spoiler that was hinted at in the books but never actually elaborated...and the show went somewhere we've never been in the books.

There are a few spoilers for ADWD, but nothing huge, imo. Bran's story is pretty much the biggest spoiler in this season.

Does season 4 contain major spoilers for ADwD, or can it be watched having only read up until the end of AFfC?

There is no way to answer this with regard to one particular scene that may very well come from unpublished material but also may not, although I tend to think it does indeed come from future events in the book series. Suffice to say that, if I am right, then the fourth season does include a scene that is a huge spoiler.

That said, you can avoid the spoiler simply by not watching the last five minutes of the fourth episode from season four.

I think it comes down to what you regard as a spoiler there are a couple of scenes in season 4 from ADWD/AFFC and also one scene some believe is from Winds of Winter as well as confirmation of one secondary characters death in the show before it's published in the books (although it's a pretty clear assumption this will happen soon anyway). In my eyes these are not huge spoilers but others may disagree.

I'll watch. For one thing when it's on its the highlight of the week in our house. My husband hasn't read the books so it would be really unfair to stop watching.

Secondly spoilers don't really bother me. Some of ADWD and AFFC was spoiled for me but I still enjoyed them just the same. I often read spoilers for TV shows, it doesn't seem to effect my enjoyment.

I'll continue watching the show when it overtakes the books if only to avoid the spoilers that will be floating around the Internet like land mines. There's no way I can avoid them all between season seven of the show and when A Dream of Spring finally releases in 2030 or so. I'd rather be spoiled for the books by the show than spoiled for both by the Internet.

I'll watch. For one thing when it's on its the highlight of the week in our house. My husband hasn't read the books so it would be really unfair to stop watching.

Secondly spoilers don't really bother me. Some of ADWD and AFFC was spoiled for me but I still enjoyed them just the same. I often read spoilers for TV shows, it doesn't seem to effect my enjoyment.

It's pretty much the same at my house, except that my husband and I have both read the books. However, we both enjoy the show and it has become our 'date night', so we never miss it.

It's pretty much the same at my house, except that my husband and I have both read the books. However, we both enjoy the show and it has become our 'date night', so we never miss it.

It's fab watching it with an 'unsullied'. Although it can be painful at times. I really really didn't want to watch Oberyns death so had to try and avert my eyes without him noticing. He said I gave it away because I was clearly not happy about the Vipers short lived victory.

It's fab watching it with an 'unsullied'. Although it can be painful at times. I really really didn't want to watch Oberyns death so had to try and avert my eyes without him noticing. He said I gave it away because I was clearly not happy about the Vipers short lived victory.

Lol, I was like that for a while- I didn't read the books until after the end of season 2. He had read them already, but I knew about Ned's death, so that wasn't a shock when it happened.

But I watched Oberyn's fight after my husband went to bed (he wasn't feeling good that day)- I actually woke him up when I yelled "HOLY SHIT!" Even when you know what's coming, it was still insane to watch XD

It's fab watching it with an 'unsullied'.

Yes! None of my friends who watch the show have read the books, so I host premiere parties mostly so I can watch their reactions. I had them all over for Joffrey's wedding last season and I had to hold back a smile the entire episode because I couldn't WAIT to see them freak out!

I will definitely be watching the show no matter what is going on with the books. Plus I'm starting to worry about GRRM ever finishing this series, so the show may end up being the only way to find out how this story ends. We will eventually see TWOW, but I could see him taking twice as long to give us the last book.

Yes! None of my friends who watch the show have read the books, so I host premiere parties mostly so I can watch their reactions. I had them all over for Joffrey's wedding last season and I had to hold back a smile the entire episode because I couldn't WAIT to see them freak out!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6974619/watching-game-of-thrones-with-people-who-havent-read-the-books

I am so conflicted. I really don't want to be spoiled for the books. But the moment of truth is almost upon us. I really hope GRRM has got his muse on and will get tWoW published in April, forlorn hope that this is.

Perhaps some people should take a hit for the team and at least early season start a thread which says whether an episode has any tWoW spoilers. There are a lot of character arcs that have not gone completely through aDwD/AFfC so at least half of the season should be relatively free for unpublished book spoilers. At this point it is mostly Bran's Arc that has reached the end of aDwD, and in order for the other Arcs to catch up they might do mostly touching base filler stuff for him. Who knows, Bran might go MIA for the entire season, except maybe the final episode. There is a lot of Essos, The Wall and points immediately south, and Kings Landing stuff that needs to happen this season.

Someone will surely do a season guide for avoiding future book spoilers, won't they? I will probably watch the premier on the assumption that there won't be any significant that could spoil tWoW

What exactly do people consider as a spolier though, an outcome to a major event of death of a key character? For example was Jojen dying last season a major spoiler, likewise the Nights King reveal? In my eyes both were fairly obvious and D&D were just dropping hints that they know all about Winds.

Likewise we know that Tyrion and Dany will meet in Series five and also in Winds, that in itself should not be a major spoiler. However if they reveal Jon's fate, kill Theon/Barristan/Stannis/Boltons then I would consider a spoiler but one I am prepared to live with as I am keen to know what happens next.

I'm not planning to watch season #6 at least until TWOW comes out; I can live with the odd spoiler in season #5. One would think that this wouldn't involve having to wait too long if at all, as TWOW ought to be out by mid-2016 at the latest given GRRM appears to have cleared his schedule and I read that he wouldn't commit to further travel or appearances until this book is done.

Season #7 on the other hand is a problem... it is likely to be some years after it is screened that the books comes out.

Archived