[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

I can't believe this to be correct however the last paragraph states HBO cannot air season 6 until Winds is published:

http://www.jbgnews.com/2015/01/the-winds-of-winter-unlikely-to-release-in-2015/322504.html

Yeah, it's bullshit. They just signed the actors on for season 7...they wouldn't do that if they were somehow 'bound' by the books.

I call BS!!That article is making assumptions without any proof, dont you think if that was the case D&D would have said something or GRRM, or someone close to him or the show would have said something? There are tons of articles on the internet that make such big claims of this and that without updating their own info of what is actually going on. s6 and s7 will still come out in April or mid April or even May but no way in hell are HBO going to delay their biigest show

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on these forums for nearly two years, but I found my post in the first version of this thread:

No no no no no no no. It will totally ruin my experience of the books it is adapting. If Martin lets the show surpass the books he will be making a big mistake. Same goes for the producers.

What seemed like a nightmarish possibility back then, for some at least, now seems like a near certainty, especially in light of some recent news.

I just wonder, is there even any point in deciding to not watch the show for those of us who would really prefer to read the books first? Avoiding spoilers on the internet and in real life seems a fool's errand considering the ridiculous popularity of the show. I mean, I could see how you could avoid them, if you didn't mind getting a bit extreme in avoiding things like forums and social media for years at a time.

But no matter how much one tries, all it takes is one spoiler, and we are talking about the most popular show on TV.

So does that mean that us "book purists" basically have the choice of either spoiling the ending of the books for ourselves, or most likely expending a lot of effort in order to not have them spoiled for us? Damned if you do, damned if you don't?

I honestly feel sorry for anyone who thinks they can avoid spoilers like who wins the Throne in the end, orignis/endings of the White Walkers, R+L =J etc.

Hmm. I think it's definitely possible, but man is the wait going to be long. At this stage I feel like even a 10 year wait isn't out of the question. Or the books never being finished. Either way, you'd need to avoid a lot of things and also just get a bit lucky. Living in a non English-speaking country as I do certainly helps a lot.

I've already managed to stay away from details about the show since I stopped watching after S2. I think I'm just going to give it a go, and if some random person at a party shouts out that character x wins the Iron Throne and how Tyrion/ Danny/ whoever dies, so be it. For whatever reason, I think I've come to accept such a possibility as being alright after reading through most of this thread. I kind of oddly prefer that to watching the show, for my own weird reasons.

I believe most people who say they will wait for the books are bluffing. And if they aren't....

1) They will likely have to wait many years.

2) There is a chance GRRM never finishes.

3) Avoiding spoilers will be nearly impossible.

I am with you on point 1 and more or less on 3, but considering the huge audience the books now have, I'm sure that there will be some people that will have successfully mostly avoided spoilers until the last book comes out. If you don't watch TV, YouTube, use social media or spend time on forums, you've got a decent chance. Granted, not doing any of that for 6,8, or however many years... yeah, that would be pretty impressive considering the connected lifestyles most of us lead nowadays.

As for no. 2: it's certainly possible, but I feel like talking about it is so morbid, because either we're talking about George passing away well before he should, or basically saying that we've lost all faith in him to finish 2-3 books over the next 10 to 15 years.

As for no. 2: it's certainly possible, but I feel like talking about it is so morbid, because either we're talking about George passing away well before he should, or basically saying that we've lost all faith in him to finish 2-3 books over the next 10 to 15 years.

For me, when I say he may not finish the series, I'm not talking about his health. I'm talking about if there's actually going to be 2-3 books left and GRRM knows how to close the story. I get the feeling that deaths and Winter will result in more characters and plots arising, which will result in the series being a total of 10+ books long instead of the 7-8, which seems pretty impossible to do for any author.

If TWOW comes out next year, GRRM turns 68 in 2016. Probably looking at another 6 years before ADOS is released. That would make him 74. That is actually a long life for somebody his size.

And then there is already the chance he needs an extra book. There is the chance that once the show is released he slows down his pace even more.

It just isn't looking good right now.

Archived