POV Pseudonyms in TWOW

Azor Ahoy!

As to why I cannot say, but I did read that GRRM made the titles the way the character viewed themselves.

This.

One of my favorite aspects of GRRM's writing is how he weaves in concepts of identity. From Theon/Reek's near destroyed sense of self, to Dany feeling she needs to "wear floppy ears" to rule Mereen, to Arya's musings about not wanting to be "a mouse" again while in Harrenhall, to Sansa becoming Alayne Stone, I absolutely love the way GRRM plays with how characters view themselves and the chapter titling is a wonderful extension of that.

These are all wishful thinking for each characters story arcs...

"The Seamstress" for arya when she digs up Needle

"The Three Eyed Wolf" for bran when he visits Jon during jon's coma

"The Valanqor" for Loras when he returns

"The Little Bird" when Sansa wargs a bird and sees Littlefinger scheming behind her back

"The Prince that was Promised" when Jon finds out his heritage

All of these! :wideeyed: Especially Sansa's, because we have yet to see her skinchange and this could be part of her controversial chapter (not that the skinchanging is controversial, but that it immediately foreshadows her surprising act).

And:

Jon Connington:

The Grey Griffin

The Stone Man

Jon Snow:

The Rose in the Wall or the Crack in the Wall

Cersei:

The Mad Queen seems likely, also

The Shorn Lion

Would be powerful if Dany also got a Mad Queen chapter heading, if the Cersei/Mad Targaryen parallels continue the way they've been. (Also not that Dany is mad, but she could possibly come to view herself that way, fearfully, as her rule in Meereen did give her some grave doubts about the direction she was heading.)

- Jon = Runt of the litter

- Cersei = The Mad Queen (copied from above mentioned post but it was too good so I copied it)

- Lady Stoneheart - The Dead Wolf

- Theon = Reek Reborn

- Bran = Warg in the Woods

- Samwell = The Measter Apprentice

If the chapters are named after how the characters see themselves (as GRRM stated), then Daenerys would be Khaleesi, Arya might be anything (No One sounds best at this point), Cersei might be The Lioness, Tyrion might be The Lord of Casterly Rock, and Sansa might be The Little Bird. I don't see anybody else changing their names.

In all honesty, though, most of the other suggestions in this thread would be highly inappropriate. Some would incorporate knowledge only the reader has, not the character.

I think either the minor characters will be given their names when they become bigger players (Arianne, Ser Barristan), some major characters receiving different names if they go through some kind of identity change (Sansa, Arya, Jon as Ghost), otherwise I can see the other pseudonym supporting characters perspectives being dropped as their story re-intertwines with major characters (Asha with Theon, Vic with Dany).

In related news, GRRM posted on his blog yesterday that he's soon going to post a previously unreleased chapter from TWOW on his website.

It's going to be titled

Mercy, probably referring to Arya.

Which pretty much confirms that the POV pseudonym are going to continue in WINDS.

In related news, GRRM posted on his blog yesterday that he's soon going to post a previously unreleased chapter from TWOW on his website.

It's going to be titled

Mercy, probably referring to Arya.

Which pretty much confirms that the POV pseudonym are going to continue in WINDS.

It's actually already been posted. http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

For some reason, I have the pressing notion in my mind that we'll definitely see one named The Valonqar; it seems fitting that he won't be revealed until coming face to face with Cersei (i.e. whilst approaching Cersei, he'll be thinking thoughts that could be attributed to either Jaime, Tyrion, or (?)Loras - then, we'll figure out who he is based on Cersei's reaction). Sure, GRRM could write the scene from Cersei's perspective, but that doesn't have the same kind of suspense/anticipation.

I doubt that we will see a chapter called "The Valonqar," chapters are named something other than their right name when the character has a personal identity crisis. Then we the name reflect what the character see himself as Sansa was Alyson, Arya was Cat, Theon was Reek. When and if Cersei gets murdered by her brother the brother won't know he is the valonqar, b/c he doesn't know the prophecy. The closest you could get is kinslayer or queenslayer, but again I don't think it would tie up enough of their identity to name the chapter that.

I suspect that the new sample chapter, along with the first Reek chapter in Dance, gives us a clue as to why GRRM started to do these pseudonyms in Feast.

Consider the Reek chapter from Dance... when I read that chapter the first time it wasn't until the end of the chapter that I realized it was Theon. I had thought he died in Clash. It was kind of a cool reveal when we slowly figure out that this Reek is actually Theon.

I'll spoiler tag the rest because I'm going to refer to the sample chapter.

The Mercy chapter is the same, we don't necessarily know it is Arya until the end.

GRRM says on his not a blog that he originally intended this chapter to be the first Arya chapter after the "5 year gap." The Reek chapter from Dance probably would have worked this way too. Probably Alayane would have been the same kind of reveal. Maybe he would have had one for every character, in fact.

My guess is that he got enamored of this idea of re-introducing familiar characters in this way after the 5 year gap. Without the gap it works too but it probably would have been really great with the gap and a majority of these characters reintroduced in this way.

Archived