Bakker XXIII: Priapic Godlings and Whoresome Folks

lokisnow

I had to look up Priapic too, though my suspicion from context was that it was erection related. It was quoted at the end of the last thread:

Esmenet had loved joking about cocks. She marvelled at the way men fussed over them, cursing, congratulating, beseeching, coaxing, commanding, even threatening them. Once she told Achamian about a deranged priest who had actually held a knife to his member, hissing, “You must listen!” After that, she said, she understood that men, far more than women, were other to themselves. He had asked her about the temple prostitutes of Gierra, who believed that despite the hundreds of men who used them, they coupled with only one, Hotos, the Priapic God. She laughed, saying, “No deity could be so inconsistent.”

Bakker, R. Scott (2008-09-02). The Thousandfold Thought: The Prince of Nothing, Book Three (Kindle Locations 2775-2779). Overlook TP. Kindle Edition.

The quote's actually a pretty good example of how Bakker is just phenomenally incapable of executing humor. He buries the good joke, "you must listen!" but closes the paragraph with a limpid whiff that's attempting to be a joke and failing. Incredibly ineffectual, probably a good teaching tool of how not to do it.

That's interesting about amazon.co.uk. However, since the publishers are different in the UK and america for the books I want, and the American publishers haven't put the back catalog books on kindle, I think I'll decline, because I fully expect amazon would reach their grubby paws into my kindle and rip out any book not licensed for the states if I were to switch it to the UK, then switch it back to the US. They only drawback to kindles is amazon can't be trusted to leave my books alone and they'll definitely big brother anything they can.

I had to look up Priapic too, though my suspicion from context was that it was erection related. It was quoted at the end of the last thread:

The quote's actually a pretty good example of how Bakker is just phenomenally incapable of executing humor. He buries the good joke, "you must listen!" but closes the paragraph with a limpid whiff that's attempting to be a joke and failing. Incredibly ineffectual, probably a good teaching tool of how not to do it.

That's interesting about amazon.co.uk. However, since the publishers are different in the UK and america for the books I want, and the American publishers haven't put the back catalog books on kindle, I think I'll decline, because I fully expect amazon would reach their grubby paws into my kindle and rip out any book not licensed for the states if I were to switch it to the UK, then switch it back to the US. They only drawback to kindles is amazon can't be trusted to leave my books alone and they'll definitely big brother anything they can.

I imagine, although I can't guarantee it, that you would lose the American books when you switched over to the UK, but would be capable of re- downloading them when you switch back to the American version. It would be very odd otherwise.

Re Jokes: the second joke is an erectile dysfunction joke, although it doesn't work very well. I think the ideas behind the two jokes, men treat their penises as other to themselves, and supposed divine possession cannot be true, because gods wouldn't have erectile dysfunction are perfectly sound grounds to construct jokes, although the latter is a somewhat convoluted thought.

I did find the 'loincloth' exchange between Akka and Cleric to be funny. I think RSB should try bathos more frequently, given his self-consciously epic style.

I think we also have make a distinction between in-world humor and our world humor.

And as Gaston de Foix notes the second joke helps confirm our godless view of reality - in contrast to those who posited Esmi was a clue into how the Bakkerverse really operates.

I think we also have make a distinction between in-world humor and our world humor.

And as Gaston de Foix notes the second joke helps confirm our godless view of reality - in contrast to those who posited Esmi was a clue into how the Bakkerverse really operates.

the principle I find interesting is the suggestion that certain kinds of act are the path to divine possession/presence. I've been struggling to construct a coherent theory covering the Onkis, Gilgaol, Yatwer, and Ajokli manifestations.

It's worth noting that Esmenet is not a temple prostitute and therefore her perspective is, at best, hearsay.

Orbit are not anticipating a 2014 release date for The Unholy Consult, but are thinking 2015 if the final MS is handed in soon.

That might only change (my speculation, nothing from Orbit) if Overlook decide to go for an early release and Orbit decide to adjust to prevent early sales going to the American edition. And of course if all depends on when RSB hands in the final MS.

Orbit are not anticipating a 2014 release date for The Unholy Consult, but are thinking 2015 if the final MS is handed in soon.

That might only change (my speculation, nothing from Orbit) if Overlook decide to go for an early release and Orbit decide to adjust to prevent early sales going to the American edition. And of course if all depends on when RSB hands in the final MS.

That's depressing news- :0( - but thank you for investigating.

I take that to mean contingent on the MS being handed in soon and a speedy edit process we might get it this time next year.

I take that to mean contingent on the MS being handed in soon and a speedy edit process we might get it this time next year.

I'd say that's about right. Its also what I kind of expected when I heard Bakker's comments last week.

Interesting depiction of the No-God, linked to from Bakker's blog. Looks pretty cool.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Mog-425304614

There was some other art a while ago, also on Deviantart, which was also good, especially the one about how the Inchoroi looked.

Re: release date. I certainly wouldn't rule 2014 out yet. Penguin Canada and Overlook in the US could do a quick turnaround and their schedules are not finished yet. I hope we will know definitely around May or so.

Interesting depiction of the No-God, linked to from Bakker's blog. Looks pretty cool.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Mog-425304614

There was some other art a while ago, also on Deviantart, which was also good, especially the one about how the Inchoroi looked.

Re: release date. I certainly wouldn't rule 2014 out yet. Penguin Canada and Overlook in the US could do a quick turnaround and their schedules are not finished yet. I hope we will know definitely around May or so.

I like that. It really defines what I sort of had sketched out in my head.

there's a whole thread of excellence at the other forum with some really stunning art, from which those examples derive.

Here's a mind bender for you all, let's challenge some assumptions.

Kellhus is deluded. He thinks he reads faces. He does not. Everyone who meets Kellhus thinks he reads their souls. Everyone is correct, Kellhus is wrong. Kellhus is reading their souls, but he's deluding himself with the biases and vocabulary and way of thinking of the Dunyain.

This is so because the Dunyain seem to have little knowledge of soul metaphysics, they master the mundane. They've built up a massive and elaborate belief structure that they can read faces in the minutia of musculastructure movement. But really, they have trained themselves to read another's soul. They completely deceive themselves because they do not know the origin of their own thoughts, they do not know about the connection of soul-to-soul in the outside. They are blind to this avenue, and so they think they see.

This is why Kellhus' children can read thoughts without training in the minutia of musculastructure, because it is metaphysically innate, not trained skills.

This is why Moenghus chose to blind himself, when he realized that his eyes were mechanisms of control by which he was enslaved to the Dunyain grooves of thought and belief.

What ever convinced the Scylvendi to worship the No-God? Were the Scylvendi the People of War prior to the Consult? Were they somehow groomed into the People of War? We're told the Scylvendi are obsessed with tradition, but the No-God represents the death of tradition thanks to the whole no-kids thing. How did the Scylvendi reconcile that?

What ever convinced the Scylvendi to worship the No-God? Were the Scylvendi the People of War prior to the Consult? Were they somehow groomed into the People of War? We're told the Scylvendi are obsessed with tradition, but the No-God represents the death of tradition thanks to the whole no-kids thing. How did the Scylvendi reconcile that?

My theory is that swazond tie soul metaphysics to an individual warrior. The idea of swazond was given to them by the Inchoroi. The idea is that a swazond anchors a soul Inward, and that soul could then reincarnate when they reproduced, shifting anchors at the moment of ensoulment/conception. Thus the Scylvendi did not suffer from the womb plague, they were the only people not to.

But that's just a crazy crackpot.

What about that sample chapter that he promised?

He hasn't mentioned anything but I hazard we'll get something through Pat between now and the book's release.

I'm sure after Bakker submits he will post an announcement to tell us all what is up.

My theory is that swazond tie soul metaphysics to an individual warrior. The idea of swazond was given to them by the Inchoroi. The idea is that a swazond anchors a soul Inward, and that soul could then reincarnate when they reproduced, shifting anchors at the moment of ensoulment/conception. Thus the Scylvendi did not suffer from the womb plague, they were the only people not to.

But that's just a crazy crackpot.

Maybe the Inchies just took the Steppe chieftans and shamans to the Inverse Fire. The People of War [realizing they were] damned for their nature might've convinced them oblivion was better?

But then you'd think this upending of belief would continue to Scylvendi today, and clearly Scylvendi [in the present] don't think they are damned for their actions.

Here's a mind bender for you all, let's challenge some assumptions.

Haha! Very nice.

Despite the absence of skin, Kellhus immediately recognized horror in the flayed face of the specimen strapped before him. Like warring flatworms, the fine muscles about his eyes strained outward and inward at the same time. The larger, rat-sized muscles about his lower face yanked his mouth into a perpetual fear-grin. Lidless eyes stared. Rapid breaths hissed...

“The face possesses forty-four muscles,” the Pragma continued. “Operating in concert, they are capable of signifying every permutation of passion. All those permutations, young Kellhus, derive from the fifty-seven base and base-remove types found here in this room.”

Why is he deceiving himself so?, thought Kellhus.

Archived