Bakker XXIII: Priapic Godlings and Whoresome Folks

lokisnow

Nothing was promised and nothing is set in stone. I have a feeling Bakker will continue his pattern of releasing an excerpt a couple months before the release of the book. I'm sure he's thinking of the fans. Ultimately, he's worked to make sure he is happy with TUC and I know I will appreciate that.

I assumed he was a poster, shrouded by anonymity. :laugh:

Just out of curiosity, who would you nominate?

Are you not aware of the Bakker sock puppet incident in the Bakker and Women thread?? Oh boy you are in for a treat.

I may have asked this before. But, I really like some of the philosophical concepts touched on in the series; the idea of will versus determinism, and how God or spirituality fit in with what we know of psychology and the physical universe and consciousness and all that. The Dunyain ideology is particularly intriguing, of course. But, being somewhat philosophically illiterate, I don't know where to turn to to get more. See, I understand that a lot of the philosophies in the Bakkerverse have equivalents in the history of philosophy and sense I would get more enjoyment if I knew more about the latter. Anyway, any suggestions for reading material to get into?

Anyway, any suggestions for reading material to get into?

Consciousness and its Place in Nature by Chalmers

Facing Up to the Problem of Consciousness by Chalmers

Consciousness and Space by McGinn

Lucas-Penrose Argument (regarding the soul and its ability to apprehend paradox)

Idealism (on the whole "universe is God's dream" thing.)

eta:

And isn't there some Nietzsche with the Dunyain and the ubermensche concept?

Good call on the Nietzche.

And I think I recall that Bakker is a Hegel fan, but someone please confirm or deny.

He quotes Hegel at the forefront of TJE right? The whole nature is a corpse thing?

- Inchoroi/Werigda (most graphic - Valrissa is possibly compulsed by sorcery, definitely by Inchoroi genotypic-variation)

The underlined part I agree with, but where did this idea that the Inchoroi have sex compulsing magic come from?

Can someone be a Good Samaritan and link to the start of Pierce Inverity (sp?) for Gaston in the Bakker and Women thread? I'm on cell phone and can't get search to function.

Unrelatedly, I know we've discussed this before but I just reread TDTCB prologue and it is really in your face that Kel's mission is NOT to kill Moe. The Dunyain really just sent Kel out to find him. The Dunyain literally just caved to Moe's request. Kel thinks about his mission three or four times and it's always to "find" his father. The first time he even thinks about how he will dwell in his father's house.

Killing Moe doesn't even come up once until he needs that lie to manipulate Cnauir.

He usually posts as 'slogofslogsdin' or 'kellhbear'.

hmm not finding it under either name. My search abilities are not outstanding, but there don't seem to be any members under that name.

Did he self-identify or did it just become obvious?

In case he is lurking here, I believe his five novels are definitely a flawed masterpiece. I doubt few of the people who post here on these forums would disagree...it's just human nature to argue about the flaws

Gaston, larrytheimp is messing around. His name here was Pierce Inverity or something like that. He eventually self identified out of frustration when he couldn't convince te folks in the Bakker and Women thread of the authorial intent of . . . well women in Bakker.

The underlined part I agree with, but where did this idea that the Inchoroi have sex compulsing magic come from?

Aurang, when possessing Esmi, uses a spell to make Kellhus obsessed about fucking her body.

Kellhus realizes what is happening and uses a "Dara Ward" to stop any such magic from affecting him.

Archived