R + L = Lightbringer -- Updated with Part II

Schmendrick

Schmendrick - if you are out there, let us know if we can help you with Part III. If you want to share your notes and general thoughts/direction, there are some like-minded people in the community who would likely volunteer to help pull info together, help with research, etc. We are thinking of you and hope you are well! ^^Disclaimer: if Schmendrick is a pseudonym and you are GRRM, please disregard this offer as we know you are working on another project.^^ <grin>

:lol: There is also the theory that Schmendrick was kidnapped and forced to silence because he has found the truth.

• 1 month later...

After reading and re-reading and re-reading Schmendrick’s theory and anxiously waiting for part three, I decided to do some research myself. Lately I’ve been reading up on Zoroastrianism and Mithras, and there are quite some similarities. But what amazed me, were the things I found during my reading that Schmendrick did not speak about yet.

Maybe some of you can enlighten me, or help me out, figuring how this will all fit into the story. I’ll explain.

Zoroastrianism is a religion divided between a progressive mentality and a destructive mentality, much like the duality between R’hollor and the Great Other. Melisandre claims R’hollor is the one true God and the Great Other is its enemy, but there is no mention these two deities fall under one God (Illuminating Wisdom) as it is the case in Zoroastrianism. It is also led to believe, Zoroastrianism has influenced other religions such as Judaism, Christianity and Islam. I’ve found something minor in my research which led me to believe the Faith of the Seven is originated from the faith of the Red God.

According to the Zoroastrian story of creation, the one God existed in light and goodness above, while the “destructive mentality” existed in darkness and ignorance below. They have existed independently of each other for all time. The one God created seven abstract heavenly beings (See? The Faith of the Seven), who support him and represent beneficent aspects (Like the Mother, the Father, the Smith, etc).

Next, about what I found. An old, but widespread expression for the followers of Zoroastrianism is Behdin, which means “follower of Daena” for which “Good Religion” is a translation. I think this is where George got the name Daenerys from. And it’s a clear link between the Red God of Fire and Daenerys who is the embodiment of Fire. I’m wondering what you guys think about this and maybe one of you could show shine some light on it.

The next thing I found I find rather curious. Amongst the followers of Zoroastrianism, the creation of the one God (Illuminating Wisdom) is widely agreed as Asha, which stands for truth and order. I don’t think it’s a coincidence we find that name here. I’m very curious about what Asha’s role would be in the coming Endgame between Ice and Fire. Any ideas?

The followers of this religion believe that the one God will ultimately prevail over the “destructive mentality” (or dark god), at which the universe will undergo a cosmic renovation and time will end. In the final renovation, all of creation – even the souls of the dead (Wrights of White Walkers?) – will be reunited, returning to life in the undead form. At the end of time, a savior figure will bring about a final renovation of the world, in which the dead will be revived.

In Zoroastrianism, water (or ice) and fire are agents of ritual purity and it is said fire has its origin in the waters (or ice). Both water and fire are considered life-sustaining, and the both of them are represented in the precinct of a fire temple (temples of R’hollor). Zoroastrians usually pray in the presence of some form of fire (which can be considered evident in any source of light), and the culminating rite of the principle act of worship constitutes a "strengthening of the waters". (So, the worship of fire and the Red God makes its counterpart water (or ice) only stronger?) Fire is considered a medium through which spiritual insight and wisdom is gained (Like seeing in the fires by the followers of R’hollor like Melisandre does), and water is considered the source of that wisdom.

In Zoroastrian eschatology, a struggle between good and evil is fought, punctuated by evil’s final assault. During the final assault the sun (Rhaegar?) and the moon (Lyanna?) will darken and humankind will lose its reverence for religion, family and elders. The world will fall into winter (the white ravens from the citadel already flew out, marking the beginning of winter in Westeros) and the most fearsome miscreant of the “destructive mentality” (dark god) named Azi Dahaka will break free and terrorize the world. The final savior of the world (named Soashvant) will raise the dead for final judgment.

After further research, I came to the conclusion (right or wrong) that Dany is the miscreant of the dark god, or Azi Dahaka as he or she is called and Jon Snow is the savior of the world (Soashvant) who will raise the dead. I’ll explain:

Azi is the Avestand word for “serpent” or “dragon”. Dahaka on the other hand means “stinging” or “burning”. Azi Dahaka is described as a monster with three mouths, six eyes and three heads!!! Remember, the dragon must have three heads!!! This dragon has a head that is cunning, one that is strong and one that is demonic. Any ASOIAF characters that remind you of one of those?

It is said, the mother of Azi Dahaka is a great sinner, who committed incest with her son. Incest is something very naturally within the Targaryan bloodline. But could it mean Dany is born of incest between Rhaegar and Rhaella? The books suggest that she was conceived during a rape of Rhaella by her husband Mad King Aerys.

In the story, Azi Dahaka lived in a fortress where he worshipped the divinity of the rivers (much like the Rhoynar) and the divinity of the storm-wind (the Stormgod; and Daenerys is named Stormborn for she was born during a storm). In legend Azi Dahaka is a male, but GRRM could have swapped some things here and there. For instance, Maester Aemon suggests the Valyrian word for prince or princess does not differentiate from one another, much like the sex of a live dragon.

According to an Arab legend, Azi Dahaka or Zahhak (as he is called there) was born the son of an Arab ruler, much like Daenerys is born as a princess to King Aerys. It is said he was handsome and clever, but had no stability of character and was easily influenced by (evil) counsellors. I think this parallels nicely to Dany in the books.

The remainder of the legend tells us how Zahhak became king, but dreamed of the end of his reign. The rebellion that followed shows some similarities with Robert’s Rebllion and the Blackfyre Uprising. Maybe I’ll explain that in another post or topic.

I’ll do some more research about my findings ;) It’s far from waterproof, but I did my best ;) .

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think,

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 31. januar 2014 at 5:25 PM, Frey family reunion said:

Another interesting tidbit, if in fact Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, then he would be a direct descendant of a Targaryen dynasty that technically started when the Great Council anointed Aegon V as king over his older brothers. Two primary influences of Aegon V (in addition to Duncan the Tall) were his uncle Baelor the breakspear, and his father, Maekar I. What were Baelor and Maekar's nicknames? The hammer and anvil. Another imagery associated with the forging of a sword. Perhaps Jon's "forging" started not just with his birth but instead with the birth and the crowing of his ancestor Aegon V.

And interestingly enough, Brynden Rivers makes a comment that Aegon V was "born" as a dragon at the tournament of Whitehalls. Whitewalls, which was subsequently torn down and the ground sown with salt.

Aegon V then died at Summerhall, the castle which ended in flames and smoke. The same day that his grandson Rhaegar was born. Perhaps Azor Ahai the forger of Lightbringer is not a single person but represents Jon's dynastic line, Aegon V and Rhaegar who were born in salt and smoke.

And of course Jon would be Rhaegar's third child or third attempt at an heir.

This.

As i view it :

Water = Martell. Martells are descendants of the Rhoynar , the Rhoynar are associsted with water . House Targaryen marrying with the Martells are the first attempt to forge LB. Azor Ahai tempering his sword in water is Targaryen - Martell marriage.

Lion = Lannister. Aerys raping Joanna , the result is Tyrion. 

Nissa Nissa = Stark. Lyanna giving birth to Rhaegars son Jon . 

Water/ Martell did not result in LB.

Lion/ Lannister did not result in LB.

Nissa Nissa/ Lyanna did result in LB .

So who are Azor Ahai ?

Azor Ahai = The dragon / House Targaryen. Which will make Jon and Dany both incarnations of Azor Ahai. 

2 hours ago, LordImp said:

This.

As i view it :

Water = Martell. Martells are descendants of the Rhoynar , the Rhoynar are associsted with water . House Targaryen marrying with the Martells are the first attempt to forge LB. Azor Ahai tempering his sword in water is Targaryen - Martell marriage.

Lion = Lannister. Aerys raping Joanna , the result is Tyrion. 

Nissa Nissa = Stark. Lyanna giving birth to Rhaegars son Jon . 

Water/ Martell did not result in LB.

Lion/ Lannister did not result in LB.

Nissa Nissa/ Lyanna did result in LB .

So who are Azor Ahai ?

Azor Ahai = The dragon / House Targaryen. Which will make Jon and Dany both incarnations of Azor Ahai. 

But where do House Dayne and House Blackwood fit in?

6 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

But where do House Dayne and House Blackwood fit in?

They dosent have fit into the lightbringer forging .

But Targ Blackwood marriage could be a attempt to create warg dragonlords . 

House Dayne maybe because they are proto valyrians or something. 

But as i said . The forging of LB involves water , lion and Nissa Nissa. 

Dayne and Blackwood does not fit into this. 

Archived