February Reads! Winter Is Here!

Ghjhero

I finished Red Delicious by Caitlin Kiernan a few days ago. Loved it, it was hilarious throughout, the main character is an absolutely immoral, unrepentant mass murderer and all-around jerk but she's so funny and her bravado and her uncontrollable urge to talk back in a very disrespectful way to super powerful demons and such sre so over the top in an endearing way that you can't help but root for her still.

Currently I am reading Ghost Story by Peter Straub, really good horror novel, the character development is quite impressive.

I finished Red Delicious by Caitlin Kiernan a few days ago. Loved it, it was hilarious throughout, the main character is an absolutely immoral, unrepentant mass murderer and all-around jerk but she's so funny and her bravado and her uncontrollable urge to talk back in a very disrespectful way to super powerful demons and such sre so over the top in an endearing way that you can't help but root for her still.

Currently I am reading Ghost Story by Peter Straub, really good horror novel, the character development is quite impressive.

I snagged Blood Oranges from the library today. I have heard so many good things about the series so far. Don't read much UF, but humor is always a plus.

I finished Eastern Air Lines: A History, while it focused on one company it did give an overview of the history of U.S. commercial aviation which I wasn't expecting. The book was well-written and an easy read. I immediately moved to an ARC of Revolutionary Russia, 1891-1991: A History by Orlando Figes. The book is officially published in April.

Today I finished Henry VI, Part Three in my year-long read of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. While it was entertaining, especially the development of Richard, the overall story wasn't quality work. Next up is Titus Andronicus.

finished old man's war last night and thought it was awesome. It read kind of like the bastard child of an old school classic s/f tale so I was surprised to see a pub date of 2005. it was a little light on characterization and the worldbuilding, while pretty damn cool, got a short straw too. however, I really like scalzi's writing. it reads fast and is entertaining and witty. the closer I got to the end the more worried I became over getting a rushed 2 page ending/1 page epilogue but he closed masterfully, giving us just enough answers to wonder about how some of the unexplained things turned out. I'd definitely recommend it to a fan of sci-fi...7.75/10 paddles, then.

I am now going to try and finish up the last werewolf and whispers underground, both of which are enjoyable so far. I also began mark's prince of thorns which is pretty bleak and violent (quickly) but mark's writing just rolls off the brain, almost as if someone were reading it for me.

comic wise, I'm reading the first couple of arcs of new 52 green lantern. it has been ok so far but not as good as batman and flash. I should really take back some of what I said about new 52. I've been pleased with what I've read so far.

Thank you for this! I got this on kindle and burned through it in 2 days! LOVED it!

*whining* But whadami gonna read nooooow?

So glad you loved it. :) I doubt anyone can read it and not love it, dalThor is currently reading it and can't have enough of it.

I liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was great mashup of the original text and zombie fiction, and it made me laugh several times, because the prose was so spot on with the whole spirit of the original book. I only gave it 3 stars on GR but it's probably more than that.

I'm now reading The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt. I remember Brady and others liking it a lot last year, so far it's a great read.

Reading sand at the moment. Picked up the werewolf books by miller that reg mentioned. His suggestions have never seemed to let me down.

Sand by Hugh Howey? How is it? I haven't picked it up yet, as it's only available through Amazon, but I hear it's supposed to be available everywhere else starting next month.

Sand by Hugh Howey? How is it? I haven't picked it up yet, as it's only available through Amazon, but I hear it's supposed to be available everywhere else starting next month.

I'm only about three chapters in, liking it so far.

ETA: I was a little nervous about picking up another Howey book. Shift/Dust fucking blew donkey dick, and I really didn't want to give the guy any more of my money, but I loved Wool so much, I figured I'd give a go, for old times sake.

I'm only about three chapters in, liking it so far.

ETA: I was a little nervous about picking up another Howey book. Dust fucking blew donkey dick, and I really didn't want to give the guy any more of my money, but I loved Wool so much, I figured I'd give a go, for old times sake.

Donkey dick is a little strong... but, yeah, I didn't like it either. I think it was okay for what it was - but the quality was just such a massive step down from Wool. I'm hoping he gets his mojo back with Sand.

Blades of the Old Empire by Anna Kashina, a debut from Angry Robot, is the worst book I have read in some time. Goodkind bad. Scratch that, I believe an editor at least looked over Goodkind's debut. Angry Robot has so many unique titles, and if quality wise they are hit and miss at least I know there will be a good premise. But whoever is in charge of their epic fantasy needs to refocus. The last two debuts, this one and Heartwood, were both horrible. At least Heartwood was just boring. This one may have worked as a parody if it had not taken itself serious, but as is, yeah....

On the other hand Millar's latest Kalix book was very good.. Makes me want to read some more Thraxas, so I bought myself books 3 and 4.

Edit: Oh ya, going to read Howl's Moving Castle next. I have read the author before, but never her best known work.

Finished The October Horse By Collen McCullough, 6th book of The Masters of Rome series, I enjoyed it a little more than the previous novel Caesar. Only one more left!

Would you recommend the series overall? I just read The Thorn Birds for my book club and really loved it, so I'm wondering if I should pick up some of her other works or if she's one of those authors that just has one stellar magnum opus.

Would you recommend the series overall? I just read The Thorn Birds for my book club and really loved it, so I'm wondering if I should pick up some of her other works or if she's one of those authors that just has one stellar magnum opus.

I would definitely recommend it if you enjoy Ancient Rome. The first two books were some of my favorites I've read. I have enjoyed the entire series immensely overall.

I read Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh. Up next Woken Furies by Richard Morgan.

What did you think of Shovel Ready, Peadar? It took me way too long to get the ball rolling on Woken Furies, but I haven't had much time to read lately, so I'm blaming it on that. I'm now about 35% through and it's getting quite good.

Reading sand at the moment. Picked up the werewolf books by miller that reg mentioned. His suggestions have never seemed to let me down.

SkynJay likes them more than I do... it's an extremely unique read, so I hope you like it. Here's what I wrote after I read it in 2008 - I gave it 3.5/5 stars on LibraryThing

A fun yet depressing read. Part gore, part fluff and surprisingly weird all around. Not what I was expecting going in to it. I thought it would be a more typical urban fantasy, but it's much more quirky than that. It includes fire elementals from another dimension that are extremely interested in high fashion, a very depressed werewolf (Kalix) with a laudanum addiction, twin werewolves that are outcasts of the clan and the frontwomen of a rock band (and they have terrible stage fright). Lots of fun, but Millar really makes you feel for Kalix.

Very solid read.

Donkey dick is a little strong... but, yeah, I didn't like it either. I think it was okay for what it was - but the quality was just such a massive step down from Wool. I'm hoping he gets his mojo back with Sand.

Just finished sand.

Holy shit was that good. Couldn't put it down. Literally. I got annoyed when we got called out on a medical. Go get it. Now.

What did you think of Shovel Ready, Peadar? It took me way too long to get the ball rolling on Woken Furies, but I haven't had much time to read lately, so I'm blaming it on that. I'm now about 35% through and it's getting quite good.

I liked the start of it more than the rest. I enjoyed the style, but I have to say that "bad-ass-with-a-heart-of-gold-and-a-secret-pain" is one stereotype I'm getting tired of.

SkynJay likes them more than I do... it's an extremely unique read, so I hope you like it. Here's what I wrote after I read it in 2008 - I gave it 3.5/5 stars on LibraryThing

I am sure he regrets taking a shot on them now that he knows that. :)

But yes, something about Millar's writting just works for me. Rapid fire chapters, over the top characters, hysterical fire elementals. Plus there is real craft in the way he weaves the threads of his plot. But I see how he bounces off people too, repetitive descriptions being one of his bigger faults.

Just finished sand.

Holy shit was that good. Couldn't put it down. Literally. I got annoyed when we got called out on a medical. Go get it. Now.

Really? Dammit. I won't be able to get it until the end of March. Unless I just buy it from Amazon and format shift to read on my Nook. Maybe I'll do that...

Is it a complete story? Or is the start of a new series? If a new series, I hope it doesn't end up like Wool, where it started fabulously and then ended with a fizzle.

Archived