If Quentyn is alive, what will he do in the WoW?

Dany Equals Big Bad

That's all very true and possible, but what will he DO?

I really did not put my mind into it. This is not my theory. But, unlike many, I think Doran is a strategic genius. So, if alive, Quentyn will do what his father told him to. So far, Dornishmen have not proven to be big on wasting life. Didn't Doran stress that Oberyn was their only victim in TWo5K?

Nah, dude. That's one of the other non-descript identically-dressed people-disguised-as-locusts who were present while 2 dragons were running amok ... probably the one who calls himself "Prince".

8 people were present. Then, fade to black. Next we hear, 4 people remain (2 alive, 1 dead, and 1 mortally wounded). The mortally wounded one is burnt beyond recognition. Four people disappeared from the scene while we were not watching. You ASSUME you know who left and who remained. But perhaps you don't.

Yes we know that the text specifically makes the tattered prince similar in physique. An in disguise prince who was secretly in the party would be the most likely candidate.

That's all very true and possible, but what will he DO?

I think a good place to look for ideas on what people will do is to look to the other front.

That Battle of Ice and the Battle of Fire are a parrellel stories. We have young primary heroes (Jon and Dany) who have been thrust into leadership roles and forced to deal with a foreign culture and their increasing demands (Wildlings and Meereenese). These heroes are the only ones keeping everything together, but they have mysteriously disappeared on the eve of battle (Jon and Dany). We have best friends who have been unwisely sent away (Sam and Jorah). We have child hostages. We have lurking hoards of real enemies out there (Dothraki and Others). We have a walled city (Meereen and Winterfell) that is surrounded by armies. The walled city has the clear advantage except for internal struggles (starvation and in-fighting; disease and in-fighting). In the end, the armies come out.

And then there is Quentyn.

Quentyn, Drink and Arch are the wildcard kidnappers (like Theon and Mance). The kidnapping of Jeyne (and Viserion) is the straw that breaks the camels back with the walled city's peace. In-fighting takes over at that point and boils over.

So, if Quentyn's crew is Theon and Mance, let's take a look at what Theon and Mance's lives are like to see if it clues us in to Quentyn's fate.

Both crews take on false identities to gain access to the walled cities (Windblown and Singers). One crew goes to a tower and the other dungeon to steal their prize and because of the inside knowledge in the crew (Theon's of Winterfell and Quentyn's of the Maze), they succeed, . They are successful in getting their prize out, but part of their crew ends up captured and in a cage (Mance, Drink and Arch).

So, more specifically, Prince Theon is Prince Quentyn.

Now Prince Theon has ended up in the custody of Stannis. Stannis threatens execution, but, realistically, Theon is far too important to be killed. He is needed by Asha to undo the kingsmoot so she can go home. And the Glovers want Asha to go home so they can get their hostages back. So, Theon is needed for the support of the Glovers. There is no way he is dying.

But Stannis needs to kill someone. It turns out Arnolf Karstark looks exactly like Theon.

So, based on what happened to Prince Theon, I predict the following:

1) Prince Quentyn will be very injured

2) Prince Quentyn will not die, but someone who looks like Quentyn (the Tattered Prince) will die (or has died) is his place.

3) Prince Quentyn will be captured, but he is far too important as a hostage to kill.

4) Quentyn's prize, Viserion, although bonded to him, will be taken away from him.

Another excellent post by you, sir. Not. Even if the snark is well-taken.

1. Quentyn is oviously dead.

2. Jon is a warg and hasn't died, yet, at least.

2. Jon has Mel at the Wall where her magic is strong. Quentyn had none of that.

Really, I don't understand this opinion that a character's chapters are pointless if they die. It seems silly. Were Ned's chapters pointless? Catelyn's? Virtually all the prologues & epilogues? If Theon dies are his chapters pointless? Were they pointless before he died, or after? How does that transformation take place?

We learned a lot about Dorne and the political climate from Quentyn. And about how hard it is to ride/tame a dragon. Thus, some sort of device (a horn?) or a tremendous relationship with the Dragon (Dany/Drogon) is needed. Or a big of arcane knowledge (Marwyn). Quentyn's death shows this. And it will show how Doran/Arianne react now that they have to make a choice between Dany (whom they've never met and whose Dragon's burned Quentyn) and Aegon.

You realize you're pretty much proving his point, right? That people dismiss theories they don't believe in out of hand as tin hat nonsense, but dredge up any morsel of speculation for the ones they do believe in? No? Nevermind.

I don't understand why people are so vehemently opposed to the possibility of Quentyn being alive. This thread has been resurrected countless times just so people can pile on saying he's dead. At this point, my working theory is that people just don't like him or his place in the story so they aren't willing to entertain this possibility. That or they didn't like the entry of Dorne into the story at all.

Archived