If Quentyn is alive, what will he do in the WoW?

Dany Equals Big Bad

Hey everyone, first time posting.

Ok, I was a little annoyed at Quentyn's death in book 5 so i subscribe to the theory that he will somehow come back. Either via body switch or resurection by a red Priest, probably Moqorro. This is mostly because I would like to believe George was not wasting 200 pages on a character that was just going to burn to death, even if it will likely cause Dorne to stop backing Dany.

But does anyone have ideas as to what kind of role Quentyn would have if he survived?

why not? Many POV characters have died....are all of their pages wasted too? Maybe he felt he needed another POV in Essos? OR since he was mentioned in the last book it made sense to see what he was getting up to...

I don't see those pages as being wasted....surely they served SOME purpose...?

By the Gods...no one will accept ANYONE being dead in these books....its crazy how many fake death theories there are.

Quentyn is dead, the only way I can see him being alive is if the Quentyn Dany met was a decoy as in one of his companions. I read that in another post and it was well thought out.

Quentyn's plot line to me, served as a vehicle to flesh out the political climate in other parts of Essos. Tyrion's travels seemed to do that as well post capture by Mormont.

I also agree that he set the stage for problems with the Martell's. He also unleashed the Dragon's which was no small act.

If he is alive and Arianne ends up in Aegon's camp I can see that driving a wedge between house Martell. Dany and Quentyn versus Arianne and Aegon seems unlikely over all because Dany will probably never Marry him but Tyrion may urge a "lengthy proposal" to gain Dornish support. I'm slipping through the crack in the pot right about now so that my temporary guess.

I feel like it was an omen/foreshadowing what would happen to all the other people claim to have dragon blood and or want a dragon. People like Aegon, Victarian and what not.. Or setting up something dramatic for Jon. Like will he survive if a dragon tried to bbq him.

I feel you on the "did he just waste a storyline" thing. Quentyn was a bore, I feel like he could have been replaced easily. The two conflicts that he provides could have been done by other characters. He failed at a Dorne Dany alliance (which will cause a wedge between them) and he set a dragon free. Tyrion could have caused the Dorne wedge by simply being a Lannister alliances with Dany and technically causing Oberyn's death. As for the dragon being set free, Brown Ben could have done that...it's ooc for him but it was ooc for Quent too.

If he survived, then he would cause a shit ton of trouble for Doran when he returns empty handed, dragonless and brideless and lacking the corpse of the Yronwood Heir. Doran would lose the Warden of the Boneway and a major set of spears and then sunspear would not be able to protect one of the two land routes into dorne

Hey everyone, first time posting.

Ok, I was a little annoyed at Quentyn's death in book 5 so i subscribe to the theory that he will somehow come back. Either via body switch or resurection by a red Priest, probably Moqorro. This is mostly because I would like to believe George was not wasting 200 pages on a character that was just going to burn to death, even if it will likely cause Dorne to stop backing Dany.

But does anyone have ideas as to what kind of role Quentyn would have if he survived?

Welcome to the forum

Just face it, Martin wasted 200 pages on a needless POV.

He's dead. His POV was probably to most boring in the books. Even Brienne's POV ( pretty damn boring as well) has some anthropological purpose in showing us what a lot of normal people and the BWB are doing. Quentyn was boring as hell in life. Good riddance!

I think Quentyn is dead because a dead Quentyn has much more potential to mess up Dornish plans than a live Quentyn had.

A live Quentyn would return to Dorne without a dragon or a bride / wife, but his father would greet that news with joy. The situation has changed since Quentyn left for Essos to offer Dany a Dornish alliance. It changed with the appearance of Aegon. Doran cannot support both his nephew and his daughter-in-law in their bids for the Iron Throne. So he is angry that Dany has not yet come to Westeros, and he is torn between hoping that Aegon is Elia's son and hoping that Arianne exposes him as a fraud. As things are, he cannot decide between Dany and Aegon, so he gives that task to Arianne. If Quentyn returns with the news that Dany turned down the alliance, Doran is free to support Aegon.

If Quentyn is dead, news of his death will eventually reach Doran. He might also learn that Quentyn died trying to tame a dragon. But if Quentyn's companions die on their way back to Dorne, Doran may never learn the exact circumstances of Quentyn's death. He may not learn that Dany turned down the Dornish alliance - after all, who would turn down the Dornish Spears?

The wives of Targaryen kings rode dragons. Queen Daenerys has dragons, and her husband can be expected to ride one as well. Quentyn might have died trying to tame his dragon after Dany accepted the marriage proposal. And if she did, the alliance between Doran and Dany is not void just because Quentyn had an accident. When Brandon Stark died, Ned stepped in, and married Catelyn. Doran intended to make Dany honor a marriage pact for her dead brother Viserys - substituting Dany for Viserys, and Quentyn for Arianne. Dany could show up with the contract, insisting that Dorne honor the contract - and substitute the dead Quentyn with the living Trystane.

Maybe Dany will do that once she finds out about Aegon's existence. That would create tension between Aegon and Dorne, it might even split the Dornish into a group that supports him, and one that supports Dany.

Archived