NFL: The Laughingstock of the League

Jace, Extat

The silver lining that comes out of this game for me is that it shows that the NFL isn't completely video game football yet. A defense can still dominant even the best offense through physical intimidation. I mean they just flat out wrecked all the Broncos crossing routes and screen game that no-one else had come close to stopping all year. Either the most impressive defensive performance I've seen in a Superbowl or tied with what the '07 Giants did to the Patriots that year.

That's the most impressive aspect of this game for me as well. This is a pass-centric, offensive minded league right now. The offense has every advantage when it comes to the rules of the game as they are presently enforced. And this was statistically the best offense ever. And they never had a chance. It looked like a College squad out there playing against hardened vets.

I didn't want to bring up your other point as I can't possible be objective, but I have to agree. The NFC Championship was the true championship game this year.

Denver now have 3 of the 5 biggest defeats in superbowls, they really need to stop embarrassing their fans.

It sucks since Elway and TD finally managed to atone for the first two. And this time they apparently lost to a team qb'ed by the shortest man ever to line up behind center...

When the Broncos lose a SB they don't do it halfway.

Well fear not. 'Tis but two months 'till the draft, so you can shortly get excited about which team should take Johnny Football, whether they should trade up to get him, and other important questions.

And as for me, by that time it will be opening day and we can get back to the true American sport. And of course there will be the Triple Crown shortly thereafter, tho' there will not, for the 41st year since 1973, be anything like Secretariat to enthuse over. Oh well I was 24 that year and remember the accounts of the races (did not have a telly to see them live at the time). But the 1973 Belmont is on line, so one can watch/rewatch that. It only takes two minutes, twenty-four seconds :) That record has stood for forty years. It will not fall for a long time and not until there is another Secretariat to break it.

Dropping Champ Bailey should save in the area of 10 million. They no longer need to pay his corpse to represent the franchise (manning serves that role), and dropping him gives them a shot at a lot of good DB's in free agency next year. If at all possible, they should try to poach Aquib Talib (hoping the Colts get him) by offering him what Bailey would have made. Brent Grimes should also be an option at CB.

Do SOMETHING about the safeties. Jarius Byrd and T.J. Ward headline an awesome group of FA safeties. The Broncos cannot expect the likes of Rahim Moore and Duke Iahaninachonoho to keep opposing offenses in check. The first step to winning the AFC (Patriots- healthy Gronk) is good safety play.

Wes Welker's 6 million isn't worth it. Let him crawl back to the Patriots and see if Julian Edelman will take the cash to replace him.

Let Decker walk, I think Anquan Boldin or Jeremy Maclin would be much superior options at #2 next year. Maclin provides a dynamic edge, while Boldin is a possession monster a la Reggie Wayne (but shorter and meaner). I also wouldn't be surprised to see them take a chance on Kenny Britt if he doesn't draw any interest, high upside and all that.

Fuck that return guy who's name I can't think of. Devin Hester provides a likely cheaper route for less fumbles.

Danny Treveathon and Leslie Woodyard were awesome when they were making plays, but those plays just didn't happen enough (except when dropping the ball on the goal line, DANNY!) Brandon Spikes would be a great steal from NE.

Manny Ramirez is going to be a goat (not a GOAT), but a goat. And Alex Mack is worth whatever he wants, Denver should try to tempt him out of the factory of sadness. Meanwhile, Micheal Blindside might be available for cheap to add some depth behind Franklin and Clady.

Knowshawn Moreno is replaceable. I loved him this year, and wouldn't be sadfaced to see him go to Indy on a cheap deal, but he's not valuable to the Broncos. Maurice Jones-Drew should be cheap for promises of a championship (lies), Brandon Tate is versatile, Donald Brown MIGHT be worth a look if Manning trusts him, and I could maybe see Darren McFadden being a #2 RB behind Montee Ball if he stays healthy and is reasonable in his asking price.

At D-line, Henry Melton and Micheal Bennett might come cheap with great upside, while Jared Allen could be a classic 'play for a ring' (lies) case. Micheal Johnson may also find himself without the monies he's expecting in FA as Greg Hardy takes up all the attention.

Common themes, Patriots castoffs. But you're not trading for them, so the only thing you stand to lose is $$$. Also, old people, but since this team is comically thinking Peyton Manning can take them to the championship, they're already on short-term status.

The Broncos can't afford all of these options, but any of them could 'help' them lose more gracefully next year.

I'm more or less fucked up by the end of this article, yays! I hope I forget about tonight.

-Talib may be back with the Pats; it would be hard for the Pats to justify cutting him now.

-You're stuck with Welker or at the very least his cap hit (probably around $4M). He had the season the Pats expected him to have, complete with a significant injury, the very one the Pats did not want to pay for (so they went and got Danny Amendola.... hmmm....) Regardless, Edelman is here and he's going to continue to be the Welker replacement the Pats thought they were getting with Amendola

-The problem was not the Denver O-Line; it was the disparity in talent. Getting rid of Ramirez etc is kind of misguided.

-The team was build very much "short term" - MAnning, Bailey, a few other players etc. THat's why they went after Manning and did the Tebow-dump: because they couldn't just assume they had 4-5 shots at a deep post season. But if you think the Pats cast off many players who go on to have vibrant careers after leaving the Pats, yeah it does happen in very limited cases (Asante Samuel), and sometimes guys have one good year (Ty Law), those examples are few and far between.

-I think Manning will come back and have another good season, but this D is terrible and likely to get worse.

-Talib may be back with the Pats; it would be hard for the Pats to justify cutting him now.

-You're stuck with Welker or at the very least his cap hit (probably around $4M). He had the season the Pats expected him to have, complete with a significant injury, the very one the Pats did not want to pay for (so they went and got Danny Amendola.... hmmm....) Regardless, Edelman is here and he's going to continue to be the Welker replacement the Pats thought they were getting with Amendola

-The problem was not the Denver O-Line; it was the disparity in talent. Getting rid of Ramirez etc is kind of misguided.

-The team was build very much "short term" - MAnning, Bailey, a few other players etc. THat's why they went after Manning and did the Tebow-dump: because they couldn't just assume they had 4-5 shots at a deep post season. But if you think the Pats cast off many players who go on to have vibrant careers after leaving the Pats, yeah it does happen in very limited cases (Asante Samuel), and sometimes guys have one good year (Ty Law), those examples are few and far between.

-I think Manning will come back and have another good season, but this D is terrible and likely to get worse.

'You're'? I've washed my hands of the Broncos. Colts all the way, lovestone. The only reason I'm entertaining this conversation(internet type) is because I've ingested about 2x my normal amount of Jack Daniels. That was just my fantasy list of things the Broncs could possibly due to keep themselves relevant. :P Anyways, how many of those Pats walked? That's an honest question, I only remember their busts getting traded (Moss, Branch, Thomas, Cassel, etc...) Welker is the only one that springs to my mind as having walked besides Samuel, and neither have been a bust per say. Maybe not worth what they got on the market, but above average at least.

Anyways, like I said that list is very much based on what I'd like to happen as opposed to what I think will happen. I'd love to see the Patriots weakened (especially defensively), and I honestly just want some good players to make it out of Cleveland (it's a sad day when you're not even worth my disdain).

It sucks since Elway and TD finally managed to atone for the first two. And this time they apparently lost to a team qb'ed by the shortest man ever to line up behind center...

When the Broncos lose a SB they don't do it halfway.

"How many Broncos does it take to change a flat tire?"

"Only one, unless it's a blowout. Then the whole team shows up."

Yeah, I remember that joke from the 80s. This really was a beatdown I haven't seen since that 49ers-Broncos Super Bowl. I don't fault the Broncos for losing to a better team (and they were the better team two weeks ago when they beat the Pats), but I can fault them for playing like shit from top to bottom. I know their defense was hurting and missing some key contributors, but I hadn't realized that they'd forget how to tackle some time before this game. Thought it felt a little eerie to see how Patriots-like this Denver team was -- a high-powered offense that sputtered against a physical and talented defense, and a defense that can't stop anyone on third down.

I saw the gambling line move from Seahawks -3 to Broncos -3 and I saw all the Bronco win predictions here and in sports media and I wondered if I was seeing things differently from everyone else. I thought the only way the Seahawks would lose is if they got distracted or played below their level. Looks like it's the Broncos who let shit get to them. And how kind of them to signal with that opening safety just how not-ready-for-prime-time they were.

I won't lie -- as much of a slopfest as this game was, it was incredibly satisfying. Just to imagine the lazy sportswriter angles we're going to see in the days to come: "Peyton Manning: still unable to turn it up in the playoffs" and "Wes Welker: Super Bowl bad luck charm."

What a shitty game. Oh well. Broncos will still be relevant next season. They, unfortunately, ran into a perfect Seattle team last night. I don't think anyone could have beaten Seattle the way they played defense. It was inspired football. John Schneider deserves the MVP for putting that team, especially the defense, together.

As much as I hate Pete Carroll, he has to be considered one of the top 2-3 coaches in the NFL right now right?

As much as I hate Pete Carroll, he has to be considered one of the top 2-3 coaches in the NFL right now right?

Hmmm... its possible, but the variable is just how much do you value guys who have never won the big one? I think Belichick, Peyton, the Harbaughs, and Fisher are all very, very good coaches, and I actually really like John Fox as well, but its hard to say he's a better coach that Carroll at this point.

I don't think its suddenly having to wake up and say "Pete Carroll is a good coach"; I just think it was incredible just how unmistakable Pete's mark was on this team - the enthusiasm, the real team attitude; the physicality and really a team that seemed really.... pumped and jacked. That was all Carroll. He made one bad decision all game- the challenge flag - but most of what went right for Carroll - the Defense, Wilson, incredible special teams, etc - were all things Carroll had prepared months and months ahead of time and not subject to one, split-second decision. THose things were all signs of how well Carroll coached and how much his indelible mark has been left on those guys.

I was lucky enough to watch this game with my father. He's been a Seahawks fan since the beginning. Some of my earliest memories are of him taking us to Seahawks games in the Kingdome. He's had his heart broken by this team so many time, they even tried to leave Seattle on him! But last night he got the pay off for decades of love. It was seriously wonderful, it ranks up there on the top 5 happiest I have ever seen my dad.

On the drive home from his place to ours you could see families, and groups on almost every corner standing holding 12th Man flags and cheering. Many fireworks were set off. Just walking around our street even 2 hours after the game you could hear celebrations, and cheers irrupting from every other house, and I live pretty far from downtown, where things where nuts.

The playoffs where more satisfying in a way. But in Seattle this game was just pure fun to watch. :)

I don't think 43-8 was actually indicative of the gulf between the two teams. It feels like an "everything that could go wrong, does go wrong" type of game for the Broncos.

That said, the real gulf being less than 35 points still gives a lot of room for the Seahawks to be better.

I don't think 43-8 was actually indicative of the gulf between the two teams. It feels like an "everything that could go wrong, does go wrong" type of game for the Broncos.

That said, the real gulf being less than 35 points still gives a lot of room for the Seahawks to be better.

I agree. I think people who think Seattle was that much better than Denver are being a bit naive. It was a quicksand type game for Denver. Shane Falco knows all too well what that feels like.

The old adage rings true now more than ever, though I doubt any of the GMs through the league working to build the next best high-powered offense will notice: defense wins championships.

Just because it appears to ring true doesn't mean I don't hate.

Would that it were possible to find the proper balance between the two.

Nope, the Seahawks are not 35 points more talented than the Broncos. Which makes it worse, IMO, if you're a Broncos fan. The Broncos shat themselves at the beginning and never recovered. Playing scared of the big bad Seattle defense. And on defense... My goodness. I know they were something of a paper tiger as a defense, but I never imagined they'd just give up on tackling. Reminds me of Shannon Sharpe yelling at footage of bad tackling, "Someone just pinch him as he runs by!"

But hey, Peyton Manning set another record. Most completions in a Super Bowl. So he's got that going for him. Does he also have the record for most pick-sixes in Super Bowls now?

I was surprised at how many people were picking Denver. To me, Seattle looked like the better team going in, and the only thing I was worried about was whether the Denver D had turned the corner and guys like Knighton, Trevethan and guys in the secondary who I don't even know were going to come up big. Denver's defense looked very good against SD and NE, and in many respects those offenses are just as good as Seattles.

But without the offense completely controlling the game, the Denver D looked first shaky, and then completely incompetent. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I still think that Seattle was about 8-10 points better than Denver, but when things started going wrong, they really escalated quickly. I mean it really got out of hand fast. Chancellor killed a guy!

Pretty disappointing ending to the NFL season. Winter Olympics start next week, and then the NBA playoffs and World Cup. So I suppose it's less depressing than most post-Super Bowl years.

The old adage rings true now more than ever, though I doubt any of the GMs through the league working to build the next best high-powered offense will notice: defense wins championships.

I still don't agree with that adage. Defense doesn't win championships. Teams win championships. Seattle, from top to bottom, was the best and deepest team in the league this year.

This feels like the 80s/90s again, when the NFC was was so much better than the AFC. Denver and New England will remain relevant for another 2-3 years, but still won't be good enough to win. After that, who else is there? Indianapolis, maybe. Kansas City, though I just don't see them getting to the next level. Cincinnati needs a better QB. San Diego needs a defense. Pittbsurgh and Baltimore need 2 years to clean up their salary cap and draft some new faces.

Archived