NFL: The Laughingstock of the League

Jace, Extat

snip

Now they're my team and will always be my team. If you don't really care about a team due to geographic reasons, you just have to find a team that has the elements of the game that you truly love. For me, it was young talent proving themselves. For you, it might be different. But that's the element that will bring the passion and with the passion, the lifelong fandom.

fantastic story

It's not uncommon for fandom of a certain player to turn into fandom of a team. My roommate in college is a Raiders fan because of Bo Jackson. If you want to just start following whoever drafts Bridgewater, that would be a fine choice, and there's a good chance that rooting for him will spread to rooting for the rest of his teammates, and then later, the guys wearing the same uniform.

Or you could hope that the Titans trade up to get him. It's not out of the question.

fantastic story

Thanks. I always get incredulous looks when I tell that story and they realize I chose to become a fan of a team that was coming off a 2-14 season and 12 years of utter failure. I actually volunteered for this shit. I needed the Bengals to balance the fact that I'm a Yankees fan...

It's not uncommon for fandom of a certain player to turn into fandom of a team. My roommate in college is a Raiders fan because of Bo Jackson. If you want to just start following whoever drafts Bridgewater, that would be a fine choice, and there's a good chance that rooting for him will spread to rooting for the rest of his teammates, and then later, the guys wearing the same uniform.

Or you could hope that the Titans trade up to get him. It's not out of the question.

strangely that would be a combination of the player choice and mexal's strategy,

because my predilection for bridgewater is based primarily on backing up what ive said. i objectively think hes good, or i objectively think hes underrated. thus i now want him to succeed to back that up.

my brother is actually a raiders fan too for the same reason though hes not old enough to have seen him play. he just knew him from the commercials

How can a Colts fan hate Peyton Manning? He propped up your dysfunctional franchise for twelve years, won you one Super Bowl and would have won a second were it not for special team incompetence. Then, when shoved out the door for a newer model, he graciously accepted the Colts decision with no hard feelings.

I've begun to wonder if Manning isn't the cause of the rot in Indy as opposed to a symptom. If you draft a bad QB and his subpar play stops you from getting to the superbowl, it's his fault and he's set back the program, right? And since you know he's the problem, you start over and have a new chance to win it all. Well, the Colts (and now the Broncos) were developed specifically to ride Peyton Manning's talents to the superbowl. I've made all kinds of excuses for him in the playoffs, but... he's the guy right. He's supposed to be the guy, but he's clearly not. At the end of the day, he's caused more bitter disappointment to me (as a fan) than Brandon Weedon ever did. So, I'm done making excuses to like him.

Andrew Luck has shown me more awesome in two playoff losses than Peyton Manning ever showed me in... well, 10. Andrew Luck doesn't just put the team on his back in the regular season, he also does it in the playoffs. He's the reason the Colts lost in NE, but he's also the reason that the game was a contest until the first play of the 4th quarter. He's the reason the Ravens game last year wasn't a blowout. He's the reason the Colts had a 28 point comeback (and part of the reason for the deficit) vs the Chiefs. I don't think Manning has ever been solely responsible for any of the Colts/Broncos playoff losses, but he's never been the reason they won either.

I guess it's taken seeing Luck's freakish 'clutch' persistence to make me realize how much bad Manning was in the playoffs. Peyton Manning tries to hide from the big moments, and it makes me sick. Andrew Luck steps into the big moment and says 'fuck coverage'. There's a certain romantic appeal in that for me. It's one of the reasons I like Jay Cutler and Eli Manning, he's not the best, and at times he hasn't even been the best QB on his team, but at least you can see that he tried and isn't ok with losing year after year.

She's disappointed he played poorly in the Super Bowl.

Disgusted, actually.

I'm not sure I'd call that being a fan, though. Fandom to me implies both knowledge and love; those kinds of reactions seem to involve neither.

So being a fan means I have to love Joseph Addai? A half-assing piece of shit who faked injuries to skip practice and games, but because I'm a fan, I have to love that?

I get what you're saying, and I kind of agree. But I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about football (I've learned a lot from this board, though), I just feel very strongly about it. And a lot of those strong feelings are angry.

I may be wrong, but I think there's a huge difference between an angry fan (like myself) and the dipshit fair-weather fan who calls for Caleb Hannie to start because 'Jay Cutler's a pussy'.

I've rarely seen someone so disappointed that a person looked to as a hero ended up being actually mortal at times.

My Manning love has always been kind of... tenuous. He has never been my favorite player (not even my favorite Colts player) because I have witnessed him shrink in big moments, this was the last straw. Still, the Broncos as an organization are now squarely atop my hate list. I always viewed them as like a little cousin because the Colts used to beat up on them all the time, and I loved watching the Tebow train wreck. But now they've completely soured my goodwill.

Then again, I'm not a fan like Jace is. I tend to be analytical and pragmatic - often pessimistic - in my fandom. I started doing quant because I wanted to balance the irrational sadness I had with actual facts to back it up - or prove me wrong.

I'm a passionate person, and I tend to put a lot more value on the eyeball test because that's how I started watching with my dad, and that's how he taught me about the game. "Marvin Harrison is going to shrug his shoulders here to make the CB think he's running an out, but look at the way his hips sink and turn inwards for the post." I judge things I see, and all the number crunching is kind of dull to me. I saw Peyton Manning throw 55 touchdowns, I also saw him crumple like an aluminum soda can AGAIN. So I am angry.

anyone else ever have to choose a team? or did a team choose you?

I grew up in western North Dakota so I felt there really was no "home team" to choose. I mean, I suppose North Dakota is considered Vikings territory but where I grew up was almost as close to Denver as it was to Minneapolis. And that's what those who picked a favorite team in my hometown did - they still reached 10-12 hours away for the geographically closest teams. They were mostly Vikes fans followed by the Broncos with the smattering of Packers fans thrown in. Anyway, I never really felt compelled to pick a favorite NFL team but I love, love, love the entire NFL (though I know it's far from perfect). I just greatly enjoy the entire league.

However, Mrs. PotN has a somewhat amusing story about having to choose a favorite NFL team when she was a kid in northern Minnesota. She has two older brothers and one day they were arguing about whose team was whose. Well, their Dad finally had enough and sat them down and made them choose, once and for all, their favorite team. They went by age, of course, and the oldest brother picked his Dad's team - the Packers. The next oldest brother picked the home state Vikings (which, of course, Mrs. PotN wanted). So, since the Vikes had already been chosen she chose the "America's Team" Dallas Cowboys. Keep in mind this probably happened in the late 70s when she was about 7 or 8.

So, I think she'll always have a soft spot in her heart for the Cowboys but, in reality, she's a Vikes fan through and through. One has only to watch a few minutes of a Vikes game with her to see the truth of that! ;)

It's sad that you've forgotten the role manning had in winning the afccg against the pats. I don't know how you can look at the shitshow luck put out in the first half vs the chiefs and say that was better than what manning did against belichick in what many have said is the best championship game of the 21st century.

Or how he dissected the pats this year for that matter.

Or how he carved up the jets back in 2010.

I just don't get the eliding.

I've begun to wonder if Manning isn't the cause of the rot in Indy as opposed to a symptom. If you draft a bad QB and his subpar play stops you from getting to the superbowl, it's his fault and he's set back the program, right? And since you know he's the problem, you start over and have a new chance to win it all. Well, the Colts (and now the Broncos) were developed specifically to ride Peyton Manning's talents to the superbowl. I've made all kinds of excuses for him in the playoffs, but... he's the guy right. He's supposed to be the guy, but he's clearly not. At the end of the day, he's caused more bitter disappointment to me (as a fan) than Brandon Weedon ever did. So, I'm done making excuses to like him.

Andrew Luck has shown me more awesome in two playoff losses than Peyton Manning ever showed me in... well, 10. Andrew Luck doesn't just put the team on his back in the regular season, he also does it in the playoffs. He's the reason the Colts lost in NE, but he's also the reason that the game was a contest until the first play of the 4th quarter. He's the reason the Ravens game last year wasn't a blowout. He's the reason the Colts had a 28 point comeback (and part of the reason for the deficit) vs the Chiefs. I don't think Manning has ever been solely responsible for any of the Colts/Broncos playoff losses, but he's never been the reason they won either.

I guess it's taken seeing Luck's freakish 'clutch' persistence to make me realize how much bad Manning was in the playoffs. Peyton Manning tries to hide from the big moments, and it makes me sick. Andrew Luck steps into the big moment and says 'fuck coverage'. There's a certain romantic appeal in that for me. It's one of the reasons I like Jay Cutler and Eli Manning, he's not the best, and at times he hasn't even been the best QB on his team, but at least you can see that he tried and isn't ok with losing year after year.

I can't imagine what it must be like to suffer through the misery of the Peyton Manning years for the Colts. It has truly been a dark dark time. Wait. That's ridiculous. They won the Super Bowl. And made the playoffs ELEVEN TIMES. You know how many teams won as many games in 1998-2010 years? I'm not going to look it up, but I'm pretty sure it's zero. New England is the only one that might be close.

Did you not win the Super Bowl every year? Yeah...you're right. Manning sucks.

It's sad that you've forgotten the role manning had in winning the afccg against the pats. I don't know how you can look at the shitshow luck put out in the first half vs the chiefs and say that was better than what manning did against belichick in what many have said is the best championship game of the 21st century.

Or how he dissected the pats this year for that matter.

Or how he carved up the jets back in 2010.

I just don't get the eliding.

Or against the Ravens (#1 defense in the league that year) in the divisional game in 2006. Or the Chiefs in the divisional round in 2003 (38 points, zero turnovers or punts!)

Seriously. I still consider myself pretty lucky to have seen the Redskins win the Super Bowl back when I was nine. Hell, I remember in 2010-11 I got into an argument when Rockroi described the 2007 Redskins as "poor", when in fact they went 9-7 and lost in the WC round. Because I took affront at the fact the the second best Redskins team of the past ten years could be so casually disparaged in a larger discussion of the 2007 Patriots. The 2007 Redskins were slightly above average, dammit!

so how does one become a fan? this is a tangent really but something ive been thinking about. the reason: i dont have a favorite team. pressed, i would say its the titans, i mean, if start a madden franchise i always choose them. (except the one year i did superstar mode and went with whoever drafted charlie ward jrm which ended up being detroit) but i dont really care so much if they win or lose each week. not as much as i care about fantasy or picks or point spreads, etc.

i do have some affection for them but if given the choice to make them or denver win i would pick denver. the titans dont deserve it and it would be wierd to root for a team i didnt feel deserved it. i rooted for them hard when they were good but when it comes down to it, id rather see cutler succeed than the titans. (as opposed to the knicks, who i always want to win, regardless of anything else)

so why do you support your team, other than geography? any good reasons? can i just follow bridgewater whereever he goes? (which would be ironic if he went to houston because my original preference for the titans started with warren moon, and i have no connection to the city)

or would it be the same as the titans, where i dont actually care in the same way that i do for the knicks?

anyone else ever have to choose a team? or did a team choose you?

My fandom started with Barry Sanders.

Now I grew up and live in Michigan, so being a Detroit Lions fan isn't a huge suprise, but I think I would have not been as big of a fan of the Lions without Barry.

My fandom started in college when Michael Vick showed up in Blacksburg in 1998. He was redshirted that year. But there was a buzz on campus. Until that point football was kind of meh for me. I did not have an NFL team I followed. I started watching NFL seriously and was looking for a team to support. Peyton Manning was a rookie and I thought as a rookie fan I will support his team. The Colts were an abysmal 3-13 that season, but I stuck around.Have been a Colts fan ever since. Peyton has changed his team, I haven't.

Archived