NFL: The Laughingstock of the League

Jace, Extat

but shows that the Seahawks misevaluated them just like everyone else. If they knew how good Sherman, Wilson etc. would be, they would have snapped them up long before they did.
Not really. Why spend a 1st round pick on a 5th rounder? Why draft Baldwin and Kearse when you can get them undrafted? It shows the opposite, actually - that the Seahawks could get a lot of value in the later rounds on guys they thought would be there. And that's really been their giant success - the amount of bang they've gotten out of their late rounds and UDFAs has been phenomenal.

This reminded people of the 80s and 90s because teams couldn't stockpile talent like this any more. This was the first time in a long time where that happened. At the same time, a lot of this was about matchups. Seattle matched up really, really well against the Broncos. Not only did they have the best defense, they had a historically great pass defense. If the Broncos had a great run game or a great running QB that'd be one thing - but they didn't.

As to cuts - the big one that saves Seattle a ton is losing SIdney Rice (again, Seattle has SUCKED at getting high-priced FAs on offense and their offense is in general not super great). They'll likely resign Lynch and get a hometown discount. They'll get back Avril and then figure out if Bennett wants to stay.

I think they're going to re-sign Bennett (that's the scuttlebutt I've heard) and then see about Avril. Not certain they'll keep Sherman, either, it's a known fact that Thomas is going to be their priority (Chancellor is locked up for five years, IDK what Browner's situation is going forward).

They'll likely resign Lynch and get a hometown discount. They'll get back Avril and then figure out if Bennett wants to stay.

Not sure they can do all three. Most likely they'll have to pick two of those moves and jettison one. If I had to guess, they'd be best served to just let Lynch go, as they have some solid backups waiting in the wings.

Maybe Sherman et al were third day picks because they were raw (Sherman was a WR for his first three years at Stanford) and needed coaching up. Speaks to the value of personnel development as well as evaluation.

Yeah... I was going to add that as well. I don't believe that Seattles late round picks are any more talented than other late round picks. They have just been extraordinarily well coached. Sherman had enough physical skills to adapt to what he became, but he didn't go in the draft as someone you would want to take a chance on in the first few rounds.

Maybe Sherman et al were third day picks because they were raw (Sherman was a WR for his first three years at Stanford) and needed coaching up. Speaks to the value of personnel development as well as evaluation.

That one really sticks in my craw as Harbaugh and company passed on him. You'd think he would have had a better idea as to what sort of pro player Sherman would be, given that he coached him in college. Seems like there was something personal between those two.

I think they're going to re-sign Bennett (that's the scuttlebutt I've heard) and then see about Avril. Not certain they'll keep Sherman, either, it's a known fact that Thomas is going to be their priority (Chancellor is locked up for five years, IDK what Browner's situation is going forward).

The Score was reporting this morning that Bennett was going to re-sign. It's been talked about here in Chicago that they might have gone after him because his brother was pushing it as a good idea. Most people agreed with Martellus, to hear the scuttlebutt. So since it looks like he's not coming here, it's news.

I put this in the commercials thread; but I thought it was good enough that it needed to be in the main NFL thread as well just for sheer awesomeness:

All this talk about the commercials and it turns out that the best one out there...

Was a local personal injury attorney in Savannah, GA.

:stunned:

And all I got was the local guy out of Louisville who calls himself "The Heavy Hitter." :lol:

Not sure they can do all three. Most likely they'll have to pick two of those moves and jettison one. If I had to guess, they'd be best served to just let Lynch go, as they have some solid backups waiting in the wings.
They should be able to. They have a decent amount of cap room and will get more for getting rid of Rice (6.1m cap gain) and Zack Miller (4m cap gain). Losing Lynch would actually be a 3m cap hit over what they would pay, so releasing him would be a bad idea.

So on the Seahawks dynasty and how much they'll 'lose':

One interesting FA for Seattle that is coming up in 2014 is Golden Tate. I think he'll want to sign, but he'll want at least a slightly bigger paycheck. Baldwin is a restricted FA but I can't imagine him leaving or really testing anything, and i know they'll try to lock him up early. I could see Tate leaving unless he takes a deep discount. He's not been that amazing for good chunks of the season.

Paul McQuistan will be a FA too, but he was horrible. Can't see him sticking around. Giacomini is more interesting. He'll be a FA and they really like him, but he might see a lot of action in FA.

On Defense we know about Bennett, though he's indicated he wants to be a Seahawk. Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond are both FAs - Browner is likely out of the league at this point and Maxwell/Lane have played well enough that Thurmond is expendable. Avril is actually signed for 2014 but would be a 7m cap benefit if they cut him.

So really, the biggest scary losses would be on offense, at least for next year. They've wisely paid Lynch, many of their defenders like Bryant and Clemons, and have them good for a couple of years. 2015 will be interesting - but next year they're looking pretty good.

One interesting FA for Seattle that is coming up in 2014 is Golden Tate. I think he'll want to sign, but he'll want at least a slightly bigger paycheck. Baldwin is a restricted FA but I can't imagine him leaving or really testing anything, and i know they'll try to lock him up early. I could see Tate leaving unless he takes a deep discount. He's not been that amazing for good chunks of the season.

On Defense we know about Bennett, though he's indicated he wants to be a Seahawk. Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond are both FAs - Browner is likely out of the league at this point and Maxwell/Lane have played well enough that Thurmond is expendable. Avril is actually signed for 2014 but would be a 7m cap benefit if they cut him.

Yeah, I don't see Tate as being much of a loss. Seems to me that Wilson has better chemistry with Baldwin and Kearse and they are going to have to make room for Harvin assuming that he's healthy. That's practically addition by subtraction there.

Avril would be a significant loss, methinks. That guy was getting pressure, tipping the ball, making Manning move all game, etc. Seems to be the best pass rusher on that line. Pay That Man.

I was surprised at how many people were picking Denver. To me, Seattle looked like the better team going in, and the only thing I was worried about was whether the Denver D had turned the corner and guys like Knighton, Trevethan and guys in the secondary who I don't even know were going to come up big. Denver's defense looked very good against SD and NE, and in many respects those offenses are just as good as Seattles.

But without the offense completely controlling the game, the Denver D looked first shaky, and then completely incompetent. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I still think that Seattle was about 8-10 points better than Denver, but when things started going wrong, they really escalated quickly. I mean it really got out of hand fast. Chancellor killed a guy!

Pretty disappointing ending to the NFL season. Winter Olympics start next week, and then the NBA playoffs and World Cup. So I suppose it's less depressing than most post-Super Bowl years.

You win the thread for an 'Anchorman' reference. And very appropriate, too.

Here's a scary thought for the rest of the league: I think Seattle is still on the way up.

Already been addressed, but I think they peaked last night. Their WR's are gonna want to get paid like superstars after all those tough catches last night (seriously, when did these guys get good at football?) but they're not really worth it. I see Kearse, Tate, and Baldwin being like miniature Joe Flaccos. They think they're worth top-ish dollar because of one good game.

Seattle is really gonna struggle keep all this talent by 2016.

Already been addressed, but I think they peaked last night.

Seattle is really gonna struggle keep all this talent by 2016.

You're crazy. This is a young team that hasn't hit its' prime. They are only going to get better.

You're right on the second point, but given this front office's success in finding good draft picks and free agents (hell, they've even had success with unsigned guys) you have to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. They built a juggernaut.

They should be able to. They have a decent amount of cap room and will get more for getting rid of Rice (6.1m cap gain) and Zack Miller (4m cap gain). Losing Lynch would actually be a 3m cap hit over what they would pay, so releasing him would be a bad idea.

SportsTrac says he counts for 7M in 2014, so cutting him saves 4M. That's actually not a lot - especially not in comparison to Rice & Miller given their respective productivity.

I think the smart thing to do is to try to extend Thomas in a manner that lets them stagger their payments to him, Wilson, and probably Sherman. They can extend Thomas this, paying him a large roster bonus in 2014 and prorating his signing bonus, franchise Sherman next season while extending Wilson. Basically, they manage their balloon payments - Thomas gets his money in 2014, Wilson in 2015, and Sherman in 2016.

I think the WRs are largely replaceable. Ironically, I think they're really at about Michael Crabtree's level - pretty good, but hardly game-breakers and definitely not worth the cost of a big extension.

Tate is a good receiver. They'd be smart to extend him, although he's not worth paying big money to. The other guys are pure mediocrity, and I don't think anyone is going to pay them. Honestly, they'll be lucky to not get there jobs taken by rookies.

Already been addressed, but I think they peaked last night. Their WR's are gonna want to get paid like superstars after all those tough catches last night (seriously, when did these guys get good at football?) but they're not really worth it. I see Kearse, Tate, and Baldwin being like miniature Joe Flaccos. They think they're worth top-ish dollar because of one good game.
Yeah, but no. Baldwin and Kearse aren't going to want to get paid; Kearse can't get paid any time soon, and Baldwin loves Seattle. He might want some money but it's not going to be a ton. Tate is the one that might want silly money, but given his production I doubt he'll get it.

I pointed out before how good Schneider and Carroll have been in the draft and UDFA as far as getting quality players. The thought that they'll lose a ton of these guys is somewhat silly given that they've shown every year to be great at grabbing defensive players. (offensive players not so much, mind you). They'll keep certain key pieces, of course (Wilson, Thomas, maybe Chancellor) but a lot of the rest - including Sherman - are somewhat expendable for them.

Archived