Small Questions v 10023

Stubby

Prior to marrying Lysa Tully, did Jon Arryn know that she had been pregnant and forced to abort the child? And if yes, did he know that Littlefinger was the father of that child?

I read somewhere rather official yesterday that Jon Arryn had known about Lysa's pregnancy, but that he hadn't known who the father was. He thought about LF that Lysa just wanted her childhood friend close. I'll try to find the source later today for you :)

I don't know if this has been answered before and I don't know how to look it up, but I've been wondering about it. When we are first introduced to Tyrion it is at Winterfell with his brother and sister. Does this mean that he's been living at Court with them rather than Casterly Rock? If so, I wonder why, or if he just joined them on their trip to Winterfell b/c he wanted to visit the North? I can't remember reading anything that explains why he is part of this group that comes to Winterfell.

In addition to anything I already said in respons to this :)

Joffreys nameday had just been, two weeks before Jon Arryn died. Tyrion and Tywin were in KL for that. Afterwards, Tywin and Cersei and the kids travelled to CR. It's also possible that Tyrion did not want to travel with Tywjn and Cersei and Joffrey (three of his favorite *cough* people). Staying behind in KL would also give him more time with Jaime.

Was Margaery Tyrell born before or after the Rebellion? Who's idea was it to marry her to Robert? Renly?

She's sixteen when Joffrey dies, so she was born before the Rebellion.

Marrying her to Robert was indeed the plan of Renly, and of some Tyrells - Loras was most definitely in on the plot, but I don't think it's unlikely that Mace was, too. We know how much he wanted his grandsons to be kings.

I don't think we know who actually came up with the idea, though.

ETA: adding the quote, from Varys' discussion with Illyrio

The Knight of Flowers writes Highgarden, urging his lord father to send his sister to court. The girl is a maid of fourteen, sweet and beautiful and tractable, and Lord Renly and Ser Loras intend that Robert should bed her, wed her, and make a new queen.

Minor nitpick... She was most likely born during the rebellion (283) Being 14 in AGoT makes her of an age with Robb and Jon.

Yes, this one. Margaery is 14 in aGoT and 16 when she is betrothed to Joff in aSoS. Being 14 in 298 and 16 in 299 suggests that in 298 Margaery would have turned 15, meaning she was born in 283, either during the second half of the rebellion, or in the few months of peace that followed until the turning of the year.

Reading Davos I from Dance with Dragons. There was a weird moment, and I thought they would come back to it and explain. Davos catches a glimpse of one of Lord Godric Borell's daughters or granddaughters and notices something on her hand. Lord Godric catches Davos staring at the hand and says something like, "She has the mark, as all Borells do for many generations."

What was this mark? What was the point of GRRM throwing that in there? What's it connected to?

Thanks.

Did Lysa and Petyr only sleep together on the night Lords Bracken and Blackwood came to argue in front of Hoster (and Petyr got so drunk that he thought he had deflowered Catelyn), or did they sleep together on a second occasion as well (which would explain why Petyr says he deflowered both girls, since he thought it had been Catelyn on the night he got too drunk)?

Edit: I found the answer to my own question I think, but perhaps someone with the app would like to check it for me? It's from a thread that quotes stuff confirmed on the app, and there it says:

Lysa Tully gave LF her maidenhead on the night LF got drunk after learning that Cat was to marry Brandon. The second time they sleep together is when Lysa gets pregnant during LF's recuperation after the duel. Lysa "nearly dies" from the moon tea Hoster gave her.

So if someone woud be so very nice and check if this really is what the app says, I'd be very happy :)

To TheCrannogDweller: I posted above that Jon didn't know that it had been LF, and I have now discovered where I had read that. The thread listing things the app confirms:

"Lysa had secretly proved fertile following her affair with Petyr Baelish, so Lord Jon agreed to the match, though his pride likely suffered at taking a spoiled woman as his bride."
"Jon did not know that Petyr had been Lysa's lover, just that his wife wanted her childhood companion close."

:) Gods, I have been searching for this quote for an hour, completely forgot to check that thread.

Rhaenys_Targaryen

So if someone woud be so very nice and check if this really is what the app says, I'd be very happy :)

-------------------------------

The first quote isn't from the app verbatim, but it's pretty damn close.

EDIT: Not sure how I screwed up the "quote" thing, sorry.

She grows to love her father's ward, Petyr Baelish, and on a night when Petyr had becomes(sic) drunk after learning that Brandon Stark is betrothed to Lysa's sister Catelyn, Lysa gives Petyr her maidenhead. Later, when Petyr is gravely injured in his duel with Brandon Stark, Lysa tends to his hurts and again sleep with him. This time, she conceives a child. She reveals the pregnancy to her father in the belief that he will have to let her marry the banished Petyr, but instead Lord Tully forces her to drink moon tea to purge herself of the pregnancy. Lysa nearly dies from this.

TyrionsFlagon and Roddy DaRwin, thank you :D

Does the app by any chance also say how old Brandon Stark was when he was betrothed to Catelyn? The wiki says he was 15, but there is no source and this is never stated in the books (nor is Cats age in the present time story, she only mentions she was 12 when she was promised to Brandon).

I am trying to figure out how the wiki has concluded Cats year of birth, which also has no source. If the app states how old Brandon was when Hoster agreed to the betrothal, that would explain the wiki.

Edit: also, after the duel, LF remained at Riverrun for a fortnight. According to Lysa, LF was send away because of her pregnancy. So Lysa discovered her pregnancy within two weeks after conception?

Was her pregnancy just an illusion of her, or did she guess the reason for LF being send away wrong?

Too bad.. that LF was 15 when Brandon was 20 is in the books.

I wonder how Cat's age was determined on the wiki then...

I think there is a line about Ned being "just a scant year" older than Catelyn, but that might be made up in my head. (I am having Kindle search problems.)

Edit: also, after the duel, LF remained at Riverrun for a fortnight. According to Lysa, LF was send away because of her pregnancy. So Lysa discovered her pregnancy within two weeks after conception?

Was her pregnancy just an illusion of her, or did she guess the reason for LF being send away wrong?

That is probably in Lysa's mind. Hoster just sent Petyr away once he was well enough to travel.

"A fortnight passed before Littlefinger was strong enough to leave Riverrun, but her lord father forbade her to visit him in the tower where he lay abed. Lysa helped their maester nurse him; she had been softer and shyer in those days. Edmure had called on him as well, but Petyr had sent him away." AGoT p. 440

Odd that Hoster forbade Catelyn, but not Lysa. Did Petyr intimate that he had slept with Catelyn to Hoster? Did Hoster believe him?

Odd that Hoster forbade Catelyn, but not Lysa. Did Petyr intimate that he had slept with Catelyn to Hoster? Did Hoster believe him?

Or he just doesn't want her near him now that it's clear Petyr is in love with her. Hoster doesn't want to put Cat's marriage to Brandon at risk.

Archived