Straczynski/Wachowski Sense8 on Netflix

SpaceChampion

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

No, JMS precisely denied it in the comment...

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

No...Did you see the comment?

Oh, boy... Yeah, sorry... I missed what he wanted to say :mellow:

So, to get this straight, something is going on, just not projection as some have thought? 

6 hours ago, Risto said:

I think he can see only what, in this specific case, Will can see. He can visit him whenever he wants, which is why Will is reluctant to visit others. Although, if I were Whospers, I would be watching him quite closely on the day they were all born.

I am not sure where the confusion came from. For me, it has always been about the spiritual representation of another sensate in different areas, not their astral projection to the place. Yes, the Sun/Wolfgang montage should have been more carefully done, but it is not like it was the first time we have seen one, or all eight of them in one frame. 

Its that two in the same shot are shown physically interacting with two different "in the flesh" goons at the same time. They cant both be doing that with Wolfgangs body at the same time, so there is something else going on.

The visitor can actually only see what the one being visited can see through their own eyes, the way its presented in the show makes it look like they have awareness of the area but the way Will dropped to the ground and closed his eyes seemed to make it clear that by limiting what he sees he limits Whispers ability to figure out where they are. I had been unsure on this point prior to the special.

Its that two in the same shot are shown physically interacting with two different "in the flesh" goons at the same time. They cant both be doing that with Wolfgangs body at the same time, so there is something else going on.

The only other thing I can think of is something to do with time, so from a neutral POV they'd see two Wolfgangs, but one is Wolfgang and the other is Sun-controlling-Wolfgang. How the hell that works I don't know.

Otherwise it could be some aesthetic device, so you see them all beating people up at the same time but from a neutral POV it's just one of them beating everyone up one after another. But JMS seems to be indicating otherwise.

The other possibility is that one of the attackers is actually a sensate themselves from another cluster and by linking with him (if without knowing what they were doing), Wolfgang and the rest of the team can do a Whispers on them, but again you'd expect that to be made a lot clearer.

18 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The other possibility is that one of the attackers is actually a sensate themselves from another cluster and by linking with him (if without knowing what they were doing), Wolfgang and the rest of the team can do a Whispers on them, but again you'd expect that to be made a lot clearer.

Didn't even think of that but makes so much sense!  So I'd think that if one of the attackers is a sensate then both he and Wolfgang are able to see through one another and that's why it looks like there are two Wolfgangs fighting because it's representing that.

I can't remember, did Wolfie and Felix kill all their attackers?

51 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Oh! I definitely think you're into something.

So, was anyone else expecting Felix to get killed at the end there? After saying earlier in the episode "I can't get shot again - that would be terrible plotting". I figured that was part knowing wink and part trying to make the viewers think he was safe and then pulling the rug out from under them.

I was really quite surprised when he survived (and had mentioned to my wife I was sure he was going to get shot). :)

Finally got around to watching and was instantly reminded how much I like this show. The casting on this show is great.

The orgy scene did give me some questions when I saw the sensates interacting with the nons, but you guys have cleared that up for me.

I really liked the "you look different" joke with Capheus. Definitely think that was a nod to the change in actors. I wasn't sure about the new guy at first, but I'm definitely on board after watching the episode. I was a little worried that they were going to keep filming him from weird angles and stuff, like how they did in his first scene. I really like the actor that plays his friend.

I was definitely expecting Felix to get shot after the "I cant get shot again" comment. He did make it, right? I didn't see anyone else standing besides Wolfgang. Or was Felix still on the ground from those kicks to his previous wound?

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

A friend who works on subtitles for Netflix says season 2 is amazing.  I wants now!!

The tease we got at christmas was promising. I hope season 2 gets it from what appears to be "worldwide cult following" to "worldwide hit" as I'd like to see JMS and co tell their story. I know JMS says it's pretty much the wachowskis show now but I'm sure he's left them with a cool template they'd be wise to stick to. JMS has a better track record with long term world building even if such plans are never ironclad

24 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

He still writes every episode.

oh I was talking beyond season 2. he said in an interview (I think it was linked somewhere inthis thread) a while back that he'll be taking a step back, largely because he says the Wachowskis know exactly what they are doing in the world of TV. I guess until a third season is commissioned we won't know for certain if he is or not though.

56 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Didn't we cover this a few pages ago in the thread?  He was referring to producing duties.  He still writes the show.

It took me a while to find it due to the xmas special chatter. I think the confusion is how he said he was stepping back at the end of season 2.

" Now that the writing is done, season two is really Lana’s show as she takes the bit in her teeth and runs with it. I keep an eye on production long-distance, checking dailies and the like, but primarily I’m now working on other projects. "

and

" So my direct involvement on season two was primarily during the writing stage. It’s now all down to Lana. "

Which I guess could mean that he's still happy to continue writing the show for future seasons but also leaves the door open for him to maybe just provide breakdowns be a script doctor further down the road. Hopefully he stays involved as lead writer though. No point worrying about season 3 until we know there is one though!

I think Sense8 is going to continue. Apparently it's one of Netflix's biggest exports, it's done really well in South America and a few other foreign territories, even if it is outshone by the likes of Stranger ThingsOitNB and House of Cards in the USA. That international audience still counts for a lot.

The biggest danger from Sense8 remains its budget. A lot of Netflix's other shows are made surprisingly frugally, but Sense8 costs a fortune because they really film it in 8 or 9 different countries. Budget-wise, it's probably Netflix's most expensive show after House of Cards (and that is more down to talent costs than actual filming expenses) and now Altered Carbon.

• 1 month later...

Archived