Straczynski/Wachowski Sense8 on Netflix

SpaceChampion

@Martini Sigil

It is like having a sensation that this show is written and directed by those who truly understands both the beauty and the ugliness of human soul. When it is beautiful, it is really beautiful. It is not cliche, it is not fake, it is profoundly beautiful. This show is a juggernaut in its production value, but it has such a sweet and tender heart in its core.

@Kyoshi

What I like is the sense of both togetherness and individuality working perfectly in unision. By becoming sensates, these people didn't lose the sense of themselves, but actually became more. In any union, people are afraid they would lose themselves and it is one of the most rational fears, but here they are both the ONE and the EIGHT. And it does speak about connecting to others and the ways we can reach to people without having to make any sacrifices, but just by being who we are. And that is what it should be. As they said "the cluster doesn't judge"... That is the message for all the relationship we have across the board.

For some reason, the quote doesn't work...

10 hours ago, Risto said:

@Martini Sigil

It is like having a sensation that this show is written and directed by those who truly understands both the beauty and the ugliness of human soul. When it is beautiful, it is really beautiful. It is not cliche, it is not fake, it is profoundly beautiful. This show is a juggernaut in its production value, but it has such a sweet and tender heart in its core.

@Kyoshi

What I like is the sense of both togetherness and individuality working perfectly in unision. By becoming sensates, these people didn't lose the sense of themselves, but actually became more. In any union, people are afraid they would lose themselves and it is one of the most rational fears, but here they are both the ONE and the EIGHT. And it does speak about connecting to others and the ways we can reach to people without having to make any sacrifices, but just by being who we are. And that is what it should be. As they said "the cluster doesn't judge"... That is the message for all the relationship we have across the board.

For some reason, the quote doesn't work...

I agree with these concepts but I think it would be fascinating to see what happens in this cluster or another one when some of them merge. If one of them loses the full use of their body, would they spend most of their time as someone else? Can they get to a stage where they essentially time-share bodies. Could Will and Riley eventually not know each other apart? Some of these are safer to explore via other clusters but I really hope we get to see this kind of exploration.

Given Whispers' exploration of "zombies" I wonder whether he utterly dominated his own cluster? I'm sure there can be dictatorships. Or is Whispers the opposite and was somehow a sensate who never had his own cluster?

I also agree that this is the most positive show I'm watching by a long streak. What I've noticed with friends who watch it but aren't SF fans is the positivity is the thing that hooks them. The show is well timed given how many nations are currently obsessed with dividing themselves into camps eg brexit or Trump, Macron/Le Pen (just because Macron won doesn't mean the division has).

But that wedding scene was cheesy as hell. Also, I'm not sure whether the start of the speech was intentional by the writers but it did come off as Nomi's family have a point about her making everything about her. Luckily she saved it with a great shout out to her sister. The FBI bit struck me as JMS comedy.

This show is such a joy to watch. 

In addition to it having great visuals and production values and nice people, it has great actual plot development and progression, it doesn't  try and hide things stupidly, it progresses in a sane and logical way and it has lots for everyone. This season is better in virtually every single way save the ending, which was only disappointing because it was so rushed. 

It is seriously the most positive, joyful, happy thing I've seen in a long time. 

One thing I especially remarked on was that the relationships of family were so much better than they usually are. Will and his father, Neets and her parents, Lito and his mom, Kala and her whole family, Riley and her dad, Capheus and his mom - they all are genuinely good relationships with love, even if sometimes the people are themselves fucked up. The drama rarely comes from their family, it comes from outside. This is a rarity in the age of Lost, where virtually every dramatic bit was arguments between parents and children. It's not always the case - Nomi has specific trauma with her mom, and Wolfgang with his dad - but by and large family is treated entirely as a Good Thing.

On 2017-5-9 at 1:52 PM, red snow said:

Like me, did you click on next only to be circled back to season 1, episode 1 and a WTF? Could have definitely benefitted from having a follow up episode. I just hope this means the creative team are confident of a third season otherwise this will be a very frustrating ending. Given netflix has started to can some shows after two seasons we can't take it for granted.

It's highly unlikely that Netflix would have greenlit the scripts ending on a massive cliffhanger if they did not have a reasonable expectation of commissioning a third season. The gap between Season 1 and the greenlight was because the show got a mixed critical reception in the US (based on the first four episodes; once the entire first season was available the critical acclaim went up) and because it was a slow burner, gradually racking up audiences and viewership unlike some Netflix shows which blow up on Day 1. Eventually, though, Sense8 became Netflix's biggest show in several territories (especially South America).

My guess is that there will be a Season 3 renewal notice much more quickly. As we can see from how Netflix approached Season 2, once they greenlit the season they wanted it released ASAP, so hopefully we don't have to wait another two years for the next season.

Aha. Netflix let the actor contracts expire after Season 2 wrapped, but have now signed up four of the core cast for a third season and are in negotiations on the other four. Naveen Andrews is in a new network show so can only do guest appearances, but that's pretty much all he's been doing so far anyway. Deadline anticipate a renewal notice by August at the latest. That could get the show back on-air before the end of 2018.

Interesting point raised by a few sites: the sensates can't speak each other's languages, only understand what they're saying because of the psychic connections. If they're on blockers in London to keep Whispers out, will they not be able to understand one another? Lito and Riley can speak English but I'm not sure on Wolfgang (but given his love of Conan, maybe he picked it up), Kala or Sun, although a chemical scientist and a businesswoman might be expected to know the language to stay up to date on the latest research or news.

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Interesting point raised by a few sites: the sensates can't speak each other's languages, only understand what they're saying because of the psychic connections. .

Well, wasn't Nomi asked by Anonymous guys about how many languages she speaks, when she answers 7?

I believe all of them do speak English. Or English is used as some sort of "it covers all languages" kinda thing. I would find rather reasonable that Korean businesswoman and Indian scientist would speak English rather well.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I agree with these concepts but I think it would be fascinating to see what happens in this cluster or another one when some of them merge. If one of them loses the full use of their body, would they spend most of their time as someone else? Can they get to a stage where they essentially time-share bodies. Could Will and Riley eventually not know each other apart? Some of these are safer to explore via other clusters but I really hope we get to see this kind of exploration.

One suppose that along the way they will explore darker concepts of the sensate bond. And yeah, it would be totally interesting to see sensates dealing with that.

5 minutes ago, Risto said:

Well, wasn't Nomi asked by Anonymous guys about how many languages she speaks, when she answers 7?

I believe all of them do speak English. Or English is used as some sort of "it covers all languages" kinda thing. I would find rather reasonable that Korean businesswoman and Indian scientist would speak English rather well.

English is a common language of Indian higher education as well, so Kala being reasonably fluent in the language would be expected.

The biggest question I think is Capheus, but he might have learned it so he could enjoy the Van Damme movies in their original language?

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

English is a common language of Indian higher education as well, so Kala being reasonably fluent in the language would be expected.

The biggest question I think is Capheus, but he might have learned it so he could enjoy the Van Damme movies in their original language?

Capheus - as many other Kenyans near bigger cities - speaks Swahili. He even asks Sun how she speaks Swahili. 

We see the English normally, but we see them talking in whatever language when someone around them doesn't understand it. Will speaking Korean is one example. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Capheus - as many other Kenyans near bigger cities - speaks Swahili. He even asks Sun how she speaks Swahili. 

We see the English normally, but we see them talking in whatever language when someone around them doesn't understand it. Will speaking Korean is one example. 

I'm not sure if they had any scenes like that in season 2 actually. I guess once it's been shown it's not really necessary to do it again though. 

I've only got one episode left. What a shame, this season has been great and I agree with others that it makes me feel so good and is so positive.

7 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

My assumption has always been that they all speak their native languages... and understand one another because of their connection... and we --on this side of the 4th wall-- hear everything in english for convenience sake

Well, I am not sure what @Werthead thought when he said they can speak only one language - before or after connection was established. The way I understand it, before connection sensates spoke their native languages, with some of them, like Sun, Lito, Kala and Riley probably also being proficient in English. After the connection is established, I believe they can speak all the languages of the cluster. What we hear as English, like you said, is convenience sake (something like English represents French in the old BBC TV show "Allo, Allo").

I'm with Wert with the languages in that they can only understand it via their host (assuming they don't understand the language already) eg the others can all understand korean while they are visiting Sun but wouldn't understand korean on their own. Maybe over time they could though as part of a merging thing?

If they could "learn" a language that quickly then there isn't much reason for why they couldn't all learn Nomi's hacking skills, Wolfgang's lockbreaking, Sun's fighting etc, etc.

All the characters speaking english does not seem like a stretch to me. Most Germans speak either fluent english or passable english - i guess Wolfgang might be in the latter category given his upbringing but could still talk. English is often used as a proxy language across indian languages. Kenya uses Swahili and English as the two working languages so he should be ok (although given his poor background he might not be fluent). Sun is the only tricky ones although Sun's priveleged upbringing makes it seem highly likely she was taught English at school so passable.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Aha. Netflix let the actor contracts expire after Season 2 wrapped, but have now signed up four of the core cast for a third season and are in negotiations on the other three. Naveen Andrews is in a new network show so can only do guest appearances, but that's pretty much all he's been doing so far anyway. Deadline anticipate a renewal notice by August at the latest. That could get the show back on-air before the end of 2018.

I hope they aren't making us wait until August the 8th again (the cluster's birthday). If they do I hope it's worked out beforehand and just not announced to the public before then.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Finished, what an incredible finale. Will post more later, but quick gripe...

No way Westminster bridge is so empty at 8:00, whether a.m. Or p.m. :P 

I think the events of recent months made that scene especially poignant but weirdly reinforced the show's central beliefs. Such a relevant show and one where i think with time will be noted for it.

this clip suggests it's the most fun gig in the world. Besides being offered a big film role (or having family commitments which is only a concern for the sensate cast) I csn't see why anyone would turn down a new contract.

The bad thing for me is how such positivity would wear me down!

13 hours ago, Risto said:

Well, I am not sure what @Werthead thought when he said they can speak only one language - before or after connection was established. The way I understand it, before connection sensates spoke their native languages, with some of them, like Sun, Lito, Kala and Riley probably also being proficient in English. After the connection is established, I believe they can speak all the languages of the cluster. What we hear as English, like you said, is convenience sake (something like English represents French in the old BBC TV show "Allo, Allo").

If we assume they're all on blockers in London - so Whispers won't get into their minds like Will if he wakes up - then that will inhibit their ability to speak English (since, apart from Will/Riley and the occasional phone call, they communicate mentally without a need for language), if they didn't already speak English as a second language.

Season 2 confirmed that Lito could already speak English (he speaks it to everyone at the Hollywood party) and we know that Riley already can (obviously), but the state of play of the others is less clear.

Cleverly, Season 1 never ruled them all out from speaking English, just expressing surprise to hear someone else speaking Korean or Swahili.

I'm within two episodes of seeing the second season for the second time.  One line resonates with me.  It was spoken by the Old man of Hoy (a/k/a/ Radagast the Brown), 

Spoiler

"Imagine what they would do to another species." It was stated in reference to why BPO didn't make what they knew available to the public.

Well....I don't seem to share the huge love this season is getting here. I much preferred the first season to be honest. The whole BPO threat never really coalesced for me, why does Whispers care about this particularly cluster when there are so many? The constant slo-mo / weird lighting flashbacks were really tacky and just badly done generally, and as a result I really didn't follow or particularly care about anything that happened with Angelica and her cluster. And they've completely given up giving Whispers any kind of scientific curiosity to explain his actions, he's just a two dimensional sadistic villain.

It's a strange show in that the more ambitious it is, the more it succeeds. They can film a scene across 8 countries that has no plot development at all that just celebrates the sheer joy of human life and diversity and it's incredible, and they can make a simple scene in one country with a handful of actors seem incredibly average. The acting is weak a lot of the time (Bug has to be the worst character, and the scenes with him and the 'hackers' were always reliably painful) and it still has some clunky dialogue, though probably less than Season 1 to be fair. 

I still love any scene where a character is struggling emotionally with something and they can draw on any of the clusters experience and advice. This show is best when it's just utilising it's premise in that way, when it's just being a raw undiluted version of itself. I just don't think it's really succeeded yet with its world building or its over arching plot. I'll certainly still watch a third season, but the final episode particularly was very messy (meeting in real life promised to be a huge moment that they completely skipped over, how did they get a police car, how did they find the base, surely Whispers knows when someone's sat in front of him, etc etc etc), I really hope they dial the pace back a little and just focus on being good at what they're good at.

18 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Well....I don't seem to share the huge love this season is getting here. I much preferred the first season to be honest. The whole BPO threat never really coalesced for me, why does Whispers care about this particularly cluster when there are so many? The constant slo-mo / weird lighting flashbacks were really tacky and just badly done generally, and as a result I really didn't follow or particularly care about anything that happened with Angelica and her cluster. And they've completely given up giving Whispers any kind of scientific curiosity to explain his actions, he's just a two dimensional sadistic villain.

It's a strange show in that the more ambitious it is, the more it succeeds. They can film a scene across 8 countries that has no plot development at all that just celebrates the sheer joy of human life and diversity and it's incredible, and they can make a simple scene in one country with a handful of actors seem incredibly average. The acting is weak a lot of the time (Bug has to be the worst character, and the scenes with him and the 'hackers' were always reliably painful) and it still has some clunky dialogue, though probably less than Season 1 to be fair. 

I still love any scene where a character is struggling emotionally with something and they can draw on any of the clusters experience and advice. This show is best when it's just utilising it's premise in that way, when it's just being a raw undiluted version of itself. I just don't think it's really succeeded yet with its world building or its over arching plot. I'll certainly still watch a third season, but the final episode particularly was very messy (meeting in real life promised to be a huge moment that they completely skipped over, how did they get a police car, how did they find the base, surely Whispers knows when someone's sat in front of him, etc etc etc), I really hope they dial the pace back a little and just focus on being good at what they're good at.

The difference between  the seasons are essentially that the first season was a simple battle between good and evil, and ended on a decidedly more hopeful note.  In the second season, things get more complex.  It's no longer that the sensates are the good guys and BPO  and Whispers are the bad guys.  Now we have many more sensates, some of whom aren't good guys and there are elements in the BPO who weren't bad guys.

By the way, I knew a hacker who reminded me very much, of Bug.  Bug keeps surprising me...even though he seems to have had too much LSD in his diet at some point in his life.

If there is a third season, I will certainly watch it, but it damn well better show there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Archived