Straczynski/Wachowski Sense8 on Netflix

SpaceChampion

I also can't stop myself from fixating on this show, a week after I watched the finale.

I keep going back to Babylon 5. I know the Wachowskis are as much or more a part of this show than JMS, but I there is such a B5 feel to this series that I'm happily almost reliving the mid 90's when that show was such a big part of my life.

B5 was a slow burn too. The pilot was awful. The reasons? Many have said too many characters to follow and a plot too hard to grasp at first because of its scope. It took until 1/2 - 2/3 the first season for me to see this series was more than a wannabe Trek (signs and portents!)

Also, B5 was set to be a 5 year arc. When the show had to reset itself in season 5 after the cancellation/renewal shake up, again we got a slow burn until it started getting good again, unfortunately, right before it ended.

If Crusade had been allowed to continue on, from what Wert's said about JMS' plans for it, I think it would have gone the same.

Characters being important to the show, but not given enough to do early to midway on. That's a reason why Andrea Thomson left the show iirc. But just because Sense8 is about 8 people linked, I don't think that means it needs to always give equal time to each of those 8. Tell the story through those best to tell it through. Maybe it would have been better to narrow it down, but maybe in the long run it will turn out better to have had more characters to turn to as the plot evolves.

There's a lot of the Waschowski's stamps on the program too, the martial styles, the philosophizing, the relevance of peoples' lifestyles.

But even then, B5 was also about destiny in a big way and was groundbreaking with how they included LGBT life in their show (minutely, but for the times it was exceptional to do what they did).

When they get it right, JMS and the Washowskis seem to work great together.

The first episode was okay, but the part where the lady at the hospital questions the policeman about saving the kid who got shot was, frankly, unbelievable and as subtle as a sledgehammer.

I forgot about that bit.......I don't live in the US, but is it really so bad in some places that a nurse would stand there and not help a kid literally bleeding to death? Doesn't seem likely.

I forgot about that bit.......I don't live in the US, but is it really so bad in some places that a nurse would stand there and not help a kid literally bleeding to death? Doesn't seem likely.

No. That was totally ridiculous.

No. I also thought that a cop also not knowing where the trauma centers are in his city is also ridiculous. There are only four in Chicago, its not that hard (and level 1 trauma centers tend to be the big hospitals in central areas that you think of immediately when you think of "hospital".) Any other hospital, even if they aren't trauma centers, would take anyone long enough to stabilize them.

The pilot was really bad, tbh. It starts of with Daryl Hannah and her horrid acting and continues with some of the most contrived dialogue and plot I've ever heard.

When watching, I definitely wanted to see more of certain characters. However, I think the way it was shown was important to character and story development. I think they needed to interact with each other in certain ways to tell us who they are. Then there was also needing to get them to accept and embrace what was happening to them and then to get them to the place where they all easily work together to complete a certain task. I don't think Kala would have been the Kala we know if she had spent a lot of time with all of the others, for example, neither would she have been so willing to jump in when it really counted if she had first formed such an intense bond with the most criminal of the group. I mean, she's really innocent and naive and sort of a dreamer and that's all that makes her Kala but also why she needed Wolfgang to sort of quickly prepare her to be an important member of this cluster.

I agree with others that it's hard to get this show out of my head.

Add me to the number who still think upon this series weeks after finishing the season.

I wonder if it was deliberate of the creators to have the sensates in this group all appear good, even Wolfgang. Or is this a consequence of being 'born' from Angelica. It would have been interesting if one of the eight was malevolent. Though Whisper's cluster had him to contend with and there may have been others with a similar nature.

Trying to recall, frivolously, who was helped whom the most. I think Sun and Will lead that tally. Anyone care to speculate who among the sensates could help Sun out of her situation? Either legally or illegally. On my reckoning Nomi with her network skills may be the most useful. Spread across the globe as they are the group needs a financier. Getting her out legally and restoring her family fortunes would provide the sensates with a financially strong member.

I think having one of the cluster starting off malevolent would have presented practical problems, because it would warp the entire story towards dealing with that. Far more likely, knowing JMS's style, would to be turn one malevolent along the way on this 5 year story. One going insane seems more likely though. I vote Lita, 'cause he's already in the histrionic world of telenovellas, and insanity would fit right into that.

I also can't stop myself from fixating on this show, a week after I watched the finale.

I keep going back to Babylon 5. I know the Wachowskis are as much or more a part of this show than JMS, but I there is such a B5 feel to this series that I'm happily almost reliving the mid 90's when that show was such a big part of my life.

B5 was a slow burn too.

When they get it right, JMS and the Washowskis seem to work great together.

I'm glad to hear this. I think one reason this show stays with people is the potential it has. I mean S1 was enjoyable but there could be really great TV here.

Saw the last two episode last night. And it was a pretty satisfying finale, though one which left a lot of loose ends open. Vague spoilers ahead.

It was satisfying to see each of the sensates contribute their own skills, although at the same time it kind of felt like ticking off the boxes. I think it would have been even better if each of the sensates had been more integrated into the finale and if the sensates other than Nomi and Will got to do more than just one thing each. The finale definitely cemented this idea of some sensates being more important than others.

But the show definitely had a lasting impact for me, and I'm really hoping we get a season two, because whoa there's a lot of loose ends here. We still don't know Whisper's motivations. Or Jonas' for that matter. I kind of feel like this is going to turn into a humans/sensates thing. Jonas has already displayed a lot of bigotry towards humans. So I think that's his motivation - Sensate dominance. Whereas BPO wants to stop that from happening by killing and/or lobotomising the sensates. Whispers may or may not be truly in charge. Most conspiracy shows always reveal a true leader of the organisation (with probably another leader behind them).

So right now I'm enduring my 3rd or 4th attempt to view episode 3.

At this point, I think I'd almost rather see Tracey Jordan's Oscar winning film 'Hard to Watch'.

ETA: I hate the German guy's friend, extremely annoying.

What's with Nomi in the hospital? Some seriously creepy shit. Does Wachowski have a problem with doctors or something?

The Korean chick is growing on me, though.

So right now I'm enduring my 3rd or 4th attempt to view episode 3.

At this point, I think I'd almost rather see Tracey Jordan's Oscar winning film 'Hard to Watch'.

ETA: I hate the German guy's friend, extremely annoying.

What's with Nomi in the hospital? Some seriously creepy shit. Does Wachowski have a problem with doctors or something?

The Korean chick is growing on me, though.

The final 3 episodes make it worth it.

Slow burn, but really, it becomes a great show. I cannot wait for season 2, this show is very different from others.

But i do agree, it is not for everyone.

Pony, I think if it's still feeling like something to endure, you are probably not going to like it. By episode 3, I was pretty much on board completely because I had already connected with most of the characters. Maybe skip to some future episodes to see if you find it more appealing. You can always go back. I recommend checking out episode 6 starting around minute 32 for one of the best sex scenes that has ever graced a tv.

Pony, I think if it's still feeling like something to endure, you are probably not going to like it. By episode 3, I was pretty much on board completely because I had already connected with most of the characters. Maybe skip to some future episodes to see if you find it more appealing. You can always go back. I recommend checking out episode 6 starting around minute 32 for one of the best sex scenes that has ever graced a tv.

That scene was absolutely insane. Not many people would attempt or be able to pull that off.

Now that I've finished the show I thought I'd give some general ideas/theories/speculations about where the show could be going next season. Spoilers:

As I've said, I think that the main arc will be Humans vs. Sensates. Jonas wants Sensate supremacy, BPO wants to secure Human's position by hiring a few traitorous sensates to hunt down their kin. Whispers is not the leader of BPO (and indeed BPO is likely just a front), he's just a puppet of the humans. Likewise Jonas may not be the leader of the Sensate supremacists. Yrsa (the icelandic sensate who interacts with Riley) is of a third faction trying to mediate things. According to Yrsa, Jonas used to work with BPO. Either he had a change of heart, he was a double agent, or he willingly works with BPO at times to eliminate dissident sensate clusters which he cannot manipulate.

Now that "our" sensates know the stakes, they will all become much more focused on the conspiracy, though they will still have their own personal stories. I think that it would be good, logistically that is, to trim the amount of locations down to like five, by pairing up some of the sensates. In Iceland, Riley looks after Will. The focus here will be on their romance and Will's past with the mysterious girl who died. This plot will mostly be on the backburner for the first half to two thirds of the season: Because he's made eye contact with Whispers, Will cannot safely contact the others. But late season he will enact a plan to use his connection to turn the tables and hunt Whispers down.

As Lito's sexuality comes to light, he moves north to LA and gets work in North American films which are a bit more tolerant of his sexuality. He becomes something of a gay icon and a champion for LGBT rights (you know there's going to be more LGBT themed plots and that's not a problem for me :) ). Nomi takes refuge in LA as well.

Capheus' story continues in Nairobi. Kala hooks him up with a supply of medicine for his mother and his story instead focuses on finding his sister. As being a sensate seems to be genetic, she could be part of a second cluster. I don't think Neets is Capheus' sister, she's too old. Meanwhile in India the pharmaceutical company Kala works with is revealed to be connected to BPO.

Wolfgang moves to Seoul to escape his Uncle's allies (not India - his relationship with Kala is pretty fraught at the moment). Sun is still in jail but the other sensates plan to get her out. Nomi's hacking and Wolfgang's street smarts uncover her brother's lies to the public and set Sun free. The Sensates now have a powerful company on their side. The korean mob could be involved, giving Wolfgang a could avenue to utilise his skills.

So after episode 4 do you think 4 Non Blondes were like "Thank God, something better to associate our song with!" or "Shit! Now everyone's going to be thinking of that fucking He-Man video again!"?

So after episode 4 do you think 4 Non Blondes were like "Thank God, something better to associate our song with!" or "Shit! Now everyone's going to be thinking of that fucking He-Man video again!"?

I know I thought of He-man.

Archived