Straczynski/Wachowski Sense8 on Netflix

SpaceChampion

Now that "our" sensates know the stakes, they will all become much more focused on the conspiracy, though they will still have their own personal stories. I think that it would be good, logistically that is, to trim the amount of locations down to like five, by pairing up some of the sensates. In Iceland, Riley looks after Will. The focus here will be on their romance and Will's past with the mysterious girl who died. This plot will mostly be on the backburner for the first half to two thirds of the season: Because he's made eye contact with Whispers, Will cannot safely contact the others. But late season he will enact a plan to use his connection to turn the tables and hunt Whispers down.

Didn't Jonas mention that if they speak in the other sensate's location then they are not physically speaking back in their own location, and this is quite secure?

Surely there must be a way to block contact from another sensate. Imagine a world full of sansates, everyone you make eye contact with being able to bother you all times of the day.

So far Episode 2 continues to be as subtle as a sledgehammer. Did hospitals kill the Watchowski's puppy or something?

And no cop ever would rag on another cop for saving a kids life. I'm really hoping they start dropping the unrealistic crap.

I'm still willing to give it another episode or two. There's some interesting stuff.

Plus, Martha Jones as a badass lesbian lover is pretty cool.

Yeah - it's a little over the top in the early episodes. But it does ease off as the show goes on.

Actually, sadly, a lot of this shit Nomi goes through isn't that far off (historically). As an industry I think we've gotten way better and I was also really mad at a lot of those scenes specifically because they're ignoring a lot of the protections that were put in place (and wanted to yell at the nurse/hospital for their outdated "family only in ICU" policy and bizarrely uneducated policy re: trans individuals in San Francisco). As an example, recently a woman was confined to bed rest in a hospital and forced to argue her case legally via phone without an attorney present. Yes, eventually she won her court case five months later, but only after she was confined for several days (and had an emergency c-section). Considering she was 25 weeks pregnant and not in active labor, the court had effectively ordered her to undergo 15 weeks of confined bed rest in a hospital with no legal representation. Hospitals occasionally do heinous shit. Wanting to do brain surgery on a consentable adult, on the other hand, should immediately have triggered a ton of medical ethics visits and several psych evals. Fuck that nurse.

The part that got me was (ep 4)

using the IV to pick the handcuffs. You...can't do that. Like really, really can't. They're soft, plastic cannulas. It'd be like trying to pick the handcuffs with a hair tie.

• 2 weeks later...

So far Episode 2 continues to be as subtle as a sledgehammer. Did hospitals kill the Watchowski's puppy or something?

And no cop ever would rag on another cop for saving a kids life. I'm really hoping they start dropping the unrealistic crap.

I'm still willing to give it another episode or two. There's some interesting stuff. 

Plus, Martha Jones as a badass lesbian lover is pretty cool. 

They should focus more on the shared mind, possession and pschic link angle, certainly :P

Finally watched some more episodes. I've got 4 of them in the bag and to be honest I've liked it from the onset but it is becoming more interesting as it progresses. The dialogue is tolerable but you can see JMS comes from an era where exposition was key. The stereotypes are a bit heavy-handed to be honest in terms of people/attitudes to the point where it's incredibly easy to see where things are going [spoiler] essentially everything with the gay actor from his being gay to the actresses boyfriend being a cartel hitman [/spoiler]. It also felt in terms of set-up that the show was trying too hard to appeal to the broadest liveral spectrum imagineable to the point where it felt a bit too much like a focusgroup checklist. Fortunately that seems to wear off after the first few episodes. I'm hoping it doesn't come back.

I do like how the storylines are slowly converging [spoiler] the drug distribution is becoming very clear in several stories [/spoiler]

The worst moment for me has to be the bollywood dance scene as I was thinking "how the hell could this happen". Maybe the song is the Indian version of "gangnam style" and everyone knows the routine, otherwise that was very odd.

I certainly don't fully inderstand the critical hate of the show. It's weird how the media seems to gang up on something or be out of touch with public consensus. I think the fairest review was one that said the show was a spectacular failure but they appreciated it was different from anything else on TV.

I certainly don't fully inderstand the critical hate of the show. It's weird how the media seems to gang up on something or be out of touch with public consensus. I think the fairest review was one that said the show was a spectacular failure but they appreciated it was different from anything else on TV.

Critical hate came from only seeing the first three episodes which were very separated with minimal convergence and no clue what was going on.

Critical hate came from only seeing the first three episodes which were very separated with minimal convergence and no clue what was going on.

Strange how reviewers don't do season reviews for binge-release shows. You'd think they'd at least follow it up with full reviews. Otherwise it's pretty damaging for the show. Weekly release shows tend to be dropped in on again every now and then.

I didn't know what was going on but I wouldn't hold that against the first 30 minutes of "Inception" for instance. Not until I'd seen the rest of it. Actually the Matrix would make a better analogy in that sense

The worst moment for me has to be the bollywood dance scene as I was thinking "how the hell could this happen". Maybe the song is the Indian version of "gangnam style" and everyone knows the routine, otherwise that was very odd.

That style of dancing (bhangra) is pretty popular in India. When I went to my cousin's wedding a couple of years ago, he and his friends actually did a whole choreographed routine like that.  I had the same kind of reaction you did but everyone loved it.

I loved the Bollywood dance tbh. It was so over the top I couldn't help it. Probably my favourite part of Kala's story for the season, at least in terms of whats actually happened in her location (as opposed to her doing something in one of the other locations/sensate interaction).  I can see a lot of promise for her storyline in the future though.

I also felt the characters were a little too much stereotypes this season, but I think it's probably doing something that requires setting them up like that to subvert/build on it.

I loved Nomi and Amanita for pretty straightforward reasons. I also seem to be in the minority with enjoying Riley. I thought it was enjoyable slow burn look at someone buried under pretty severe depression, and the actress just sold it for me.  Also loved Lito's melodrama. "My set, it's a " "a sacred space?" "yes a sacred space" "I thought our room was a sacred space?" "it's very hard to concentrate with knife wielding psychos wandering onto the set" :rofl: made even better because the guy WAS a knife wielding psycho.  That's paraphrased.

That style of dancing (bhangra) is pretty popular in India. When I went to my cousin's wedding a couple of years ago, he and his friends actually did a whole choreographed routine like that.  I had the same kind of reaction you did but everyone loved it.

Good to know. I can buy the guys in the scene had practiced, it was more the girl's response but from my very limited exposure to Bollywood I guess this kind of stuff is even more engrained than the macarena or line-dancing.

The actually choreography was pretty sweet it was just the jarring effect it had on me that was the problem.

Well, they need to get reviews out so people know if it's worth while to watch. I do agree they should re-visit. I know Sepinwall did and came back with a very positive opinion.

I can see how reviewers only have a certain amount of time with a lot of TV review so 13 hours is a fairly big ask. Not impossible though. I guess it could also be Netflix's decision to only hand out a given number of episodes to review as well (understandable given the risk of leaks).

I guess the problem is perception. I figure I'm not the only one who takes a netflix review as being for the whole season? I guess some reviewers are more upfront but as a general rule they maybe should state in the review title "Sense8 ep1-3"? I think that would be a fair compromise. It is odd that general viewers are more likely to have seen the whole show before the reviewers have. I wonder if, when public perception of a show is higher than the reviewers initial thoughs (IMDB and Netflix reviews are much more positive than metacritic/rotten tomatoes), some reviewers pueposefully go back and watch the show to see how in tune they are.

I also noticed that the director list is misleading. It's actually filmed with a director per location - although that's not even entirely accurate as some directors come in depending on whether it's action heavy or not. Director credits are given out based on who shot the most scenes in a given episode. It might explain how the scene transitions can feel disjointed but on the other hand explains why certain character stories flow well within themselves.

Oh yay, there's a thread for this!  :)

I had some issues with the show but I really liked it. I'd give it 8/10, mainly because I didn't like the finale, mainly because I don't particularly care for Riley and Will.

Other issues I had were mainly centered around the editing. Sometimes one character would be doing something and another would be narrating something else, the scenes would hop between the two and they wouldn't really be thematically connected, except for the music. It was jarring and maybe I was too dense to fully grasp it. Speaking of the music, sometimes I really hated the music--it sounded "arrogant" and too loud. The opening theme menaced me. I feared it would soon give me a headache. Ever since Sons of Anarchy, I'm really weary of musical numbers and scores in series and movies [I have the same problem with The Knick, but mainly because the theme/score in that show sounds anachronistic, too modern and club-like]. Yet surprisingly, I was a big fan of the Bollywood number. That song is one of my favourites of all time and I was shocked to hear it in a Hollywood production. Sang along and everything. Then called a friend and told her to watch the show because there was something special in there.

One of the most refreshing things about Sense8 is the diversity. Being African, I was glad to see an African city that wasn't just subtitled as "somewhere in Africa." Heroes did this in one of their episodes. Capheus even smiles at Riley in a no, not AFRICA!, Nairobi way when Riley says, "Africa?!" Most of the accents were spot on; I'm guessing they got Kenyan actors for those parts. I remember in the recaps for Heroes the trailer-voice guy would say something like, "people from all over the world find out they have special abilities..." and they would show Hiro and Ando in Tokyo and then everyone else was either in Nevada, New York, Texas or LA. This was refreshing. I'll also stop comparing the show to Heroes.

My favourites are Capheus, Lito and Sun. Nomi and Amanita had promise but then they started boring me. Hernando is someone I want to see more of. Every time Sun took over someone's life was golden, especially when Lito thought he had a tumour. To contrast that Sun was going about her day normally, her PMS not seeming to cripple her all that much. I think Capheus and Sun have some of the greatest chemistry I've seen on TV--sibling-like. Followed by Kala and Wolfgang--who were really sweet to watch [spoiler]until he killed someone and she saw.[/spoiler]

Going forward, I wouldn't be surprised if Whispers turned out to be "the good guy" and Jonas was "the big bad." The Icelandic woman who interacted with Riley didn't seem to think he should be trusted. And she looked scared.

I'm glad more people liked this. I only watched this over the weekend because of the scathing reviews. I'm glad I gave it a chance. Read the whole thread and I'm hoping for season 2 and more discussions.  :)

It certainly is one of the most diverse shows on tv - even if some of them seem a bit like caracitures. Even if it sometimes tries too hard, I'd rather it did so than not try at all.

I've watched the first 10 episodes and I've enjoyed this show. I've stopped watching House of Cards and Daredevil to focus on this one.

I've liked the way the story has unfolded. I believe in letting the storyteller tell the story his way, rather than trying to figure it out in advance. (I said the same about True Detective.) I also don't need immediate gratification.

I also enjoyed the individual stories, although sone, like Riley and the drug dealer didn't really make sense. It seemed like they specifically sought her out, but with no real reason. The cast is also diverse; along sex, race, and sexuality. (I think I've actually gotten used to seeing two men kissing.) The pregnancy scenes were pretty wild also (and graphic).

I also hope we get more details or info about this ability in these last two episodes. I'll check back in when I finish the last two episodes.

Just finished episode 6 so for fun will list my favourite stories. It's tricky as it's finding the balance between plot and characters as to who i like the most.

1) Sun - I like the noble sacrifice for totally unworthy people and the actress does a lot of acting without speaking

2) Will - he's maybe not the most interesting character but he's the one moving the plot forward

3) Nomi - I just like the relationship and the OTT evil mother trying to get her son back

4) Lito - Close tie with 3 to be honest. It's the silliest story but possibly most fun

5) Capheus - I like the character (great accent) but the story isn't adding up for me yet.

6) Kala - Mainly for the location and bright colours. The character and story is a bit cheesy although I think there's more to the husband and his company

7) Wolfgang - you'd think a bankrobber would generate a more interesting story but it has been very dull so far. The sidekick has more personality (although that's true in a lot of the other stories as well)

8) Riley - her story seems to involve sitting with occasionally scenes of threat. A bit aimless.

I'll do another one at the end as I'm curious as to whether my opinions change.

I'll spoiler specific comments for the first 6 now [spoiler] So there's definitely an angle with the drugs. It seems to be following it from manufacture, distribution and use. Whether it's just a dodgy drug or it's a drug that activates/affects sensates, I've no idea.

I hope there's some more clarity on how their powers work. Sometimes it seems like the characters just become inanimate/unconcsious when they are sharing and other times they appear to carry out the actions that they are in the other body eg Will/Riley swap. I guess this could be down to them not knowing how to use their power and it depending on who's swapping. I can imagine a Will/Sun swap would be smoother than the aformentioned Will/Riley swap.

Why is it always one on one? This one I'm sure is plot specific and that it's harder to share, the more people are involved. The orgy scene was the first example of several of them sharing and that makes sense as it's a very primal act and therefore easier to share. Although I'd think survival was also one of those. Linked to the one to one thing it's curious how the interactions appear to be biased and that some work together better than others.

Finally, I'm not sure whether they are supposed to be a hive mind or individuals that are just telepathically linked? Sometimes it feels like they have a shared soul but other times they do seem very distinct. I thought the comments by Nomi in the 6th episode were very interesting "Will the disease progress until the point where I lose all sense of self?" I'm very curious as to whether that is the fate of the sensates - do they eventually become a single mind with eight bodies? It's the kind of thing I'm sure won't be answered this season but will be very interesting to see in the future. [/spoiler]

Regarding season 2. It seems like JMS is confident I we should know within a couple of weeks. The show appears to be doing well in terns of audience reception too. Given that "Marco Polo" was critically panned and expensive, yet received a second season - I'd be shocked if Sense8 doesn't which at least has a strong vocal support.

^I became invested in Wolfgang the moment he pissed on his father's grave in episode 1. He also has pop star inclinations. So I've always kind of found him interesting. And given that he seems the most "morally corrupt", yet at the same time attracted to the "purest soul" of the cluster adds another layer to him.

[Spoiler]the drugs seem significant. From Capheus and his mother's ARVs to Kala's employers. Maybe even Sun and her company. It might link them all on that level as well.[/spoiler]

Wait - which Bollywood dance number are people talking about?

The one Rajan pulls at the engagement party? I didn't have a problem with that, dance performances happen all the damn time. Just saw one at my cousin's engagement party, and expect another one at another family gathering for a sweet 16 party.

Archived