Azor Ahai? What?

Maester Wiles

This is kind of a backtrack, but is it just me or is Stannis a piss-poor Azor Ahai? From the first nightfire that Melisandre sets up for him, he seems to just be going through the motions of the prophesy. Isn't that what a prophesy is? Something that will happen regardless of what you do to prevent/engage it? I mean he threw "Lightbringer" on the ground because it was too hot. Come on.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I think Thoros of Myr will eventually take the torch (heh) on this one. Any other ideas/speculations?

You're right - there is basically nothing in the text to suggest Stannis is Azor Ahai.

Aside from the incident you brought up, just about every time the topic comes up someone does or says something that undermines it: Salladhor, Maester Aemon, even Stannis doesn't really believe it.

As to the meaning of the prophecy, and any potential candidates - this probably isn't a topic for Still Reading. There is more information revealed in later books which sheds light on the myth and suggests a few options.

ive heard all sorts of theories with danaerys being aa, and her dragons are lightbringer (the flames). some people compare the nights watch oath with the aa prophecy, and they assume that the nights watch itself is lightbringer, the lord commander being aa.

me personally? im not sure of any of those ideas, but what id want to see, is a returning Sandor being AA.

ive heard all sorts of theories with danaerys being aa, and her dragons are lightbringer (the flames). some people compare the nights watch oath with the aa prophecy, and they assume that the nights watch itself is lightbringer, the lord commander being aa.

me personally? im not sure of any of those ideas, but what id want to see, is a returning Sandor being AA.

Personally, I'd like to see it be Davos.

Personally, I'd like to see it be Davos.

born of salt and smoke, he did awaken on that rocky island after the battle of blackwater.

victarion kinda falls into this category somewhat, but unfortunately this is a "still reading" forum (if you get my meaning)

• 2 weeks later...

lol, Davos would be such a sweet irony.

What I'd like to see is that these prophecies are false and Melisandre and Thoros be just like Quaithe / Jaqen / Pree but in different ways: all wizards-of-sorts in ASOIAF seem to have different powers, or at least favourite powers among those they may know; their attribution of their own powers to the Red God is just their personal belief, and their powers actually come from other training.

That would be awesome. The nameless gods of the Children seem to be the real 'powerful forces' in the WOIAF; be they gods or something else that people came to represent with gods.

lol, Davos would be such a sweet irony.

What I'd like to see is that these prophecies are false and Melisandre and Thoros be just like Quaithe / Jaqen / Pree but in different ways: all wizards-of-sorts in ASOIAF seem to have different powers, or at least favourite powers among those they may know; their attribution of their own powers to the Red God is just their personal belief, and their powers actually come from other training.

That would be awesome. The nameless gods of the Children seem to be the real 'powerful forces' in the WOIAF; be they gods or something else that people came to represent with gods.

theres a theory floating around that The Others are the children/nameless gods. another one states The Others are the spirits in the weirwood trees that were taken down and burned.

How sick would it be if Azor Ahai = The Great Other.

• 2 weeks later...

"When the red star bleeds and darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons and stone."

Well, there's only one person i know of that has been born out smoke (i don't know about the salt yet but may be when she's crossing the sea) and woken dragons out of stone. Danaerys Targaryen.

Archived