Ser Shadrich identity

Shadrich

I was just trying to figure out who Ser Shadrich really is. Quite a few people don't even pay attention to Ser Shadrich!

So to those who don't remember who he is - he's the sellsword in AFFC that first meets Brienne, and tells her he is looking for Sansa, and then is seen near the end of AFFC, in Sansa's (Alayne) chapter. He's described as arrogant, sharp-witted and skilled at arms. This leads to me think that he already knows that Alayne = Sansa. I think he is going to be important in TWoW, or atleast trigger something important.

Anyway, I tried to see if he is something more than just a sellsword and a passing character.

1. Varys' Agent

PROS:

+Shadrich says that he hopes to get a reward from Varys
+Varys old spy network was known as "Little Mice" and they were known to be small and quick
+Varys needs Sansa
CONS:
-Varys is 'gone' (but yes, Shadrich doesn't know that)
-At first I thought Varys might need Sansa to marry him to Aegon - but now Aegon is likely to marry someone else
2. Cersei's Agent
PROS:
+Shadrich needs a reward
CONS:
-Cersei cares more about capturing Tyrion. I doubt he would get much of a reward from her anyway
-He would have just said he works for Cersei
3. Secret Manderly
PROS:
+White Mouse / Rat Cook parallel
+The River in Shadrich's sigil could be the Mander
+White Mouse with Red Eyes could refer to Old Gods, and his Knighthood to the Seven - similar to Ser Bartimus
+Wyman is trying to get one Stark back - why not another?
+He arrives to Vale with Ser Morgarth - and Garth is a name from the Reach
+Wyman is clearly very secret-ish about his missions - this could be another one
CONS:
-He's small, whereas Manderly family members are described as big (not just fat)

4. Howland Reed

PROS:

+He's small
+White Mouse = Old Gods
+Wants to save Ned's daughter
+Both were described to be good at arms
CONS:
-He's too cocky and arrogant. I don't imagine Howland to be someone like this.
5. Lysa's and Littlefinger's son
PROS:
+He's small - like Littlefinger
+He's cocky and arrogant - like LF
+He's got orange hair - similar to Lysa (though not the same)
+He's with Littlefinger now
CONS:
-Lysa supposedly had an abortion
-More insignificant to his need of saving/kidnapping Sansa than other options
6. Stannis's agent
PROS:
+He fought for Stannis at the Blackwater
+Stannis inspires loyalty
+Stannis needs Starks
CONS:
-They're far from each other to communicate (unless of course Shadrich got away with Stannis after Blackwater)

7. Blackfish

PROS:

+Wants to save Sansa
CONS:
-As does a lot of people
-Blackfish would definitely be recognised
-Blackfish is old, grey-haired, and not at all like a sellsword
8. A Redwyne
PROS:
+He's got orange hair - and I think Redwynes are the only House to have been described as having orange hair
+Could be working for Tyrells to get Sansa back
CONS:
-Doesn't seem too convincing - Redwynes are too insignificant to go after Sansa imho
9. Just a sellsword
PROS:
+Sometimes a tree is just a tree
CONS:
-Appears twice, in two different important PoV chapters
-Way to described to be just a passing character
10. Darklyn/Darke
PROS:
+of the Shady Glen = Darklyn/Darke
+Shadrich was first seen near Duskendale
+Darkes are said to have survived after the defiance
+Ser Donnel of Duskendale was described as having Red hair
CONS:
-number 9
11. Working with the Elder brother
PROS:
+Ser Morgarth = Elder Brother - The theory
+It works with him being a Darklyn/Darke

+Both Shadrich and the Elder Brother met Brienne before - and all are after Sansa

CONS:

-number 9

-Elder Brother might be working on his own

12. Secret Targaryen

Because everyone else is.

And also: he could be the giant that Sansa slays

PROS:

+"I'm being enough where it counts wench"

CONS:

-Well, he's small. Tyrion is small too, but he was referred as the "giant".

To conclude, I think either number 1 or number 9 is the most likely, but I really like the idea of him being linked to the Manderlys. Also son of LF and Lysa somewhat works too - but I think it doesn't really fit the story that way. Also I think it's quite possible he could be a Darklyn descendant, or a Darke, or working with the Elder Brother (or both).

There's definitely something intriguing about him that makes it plausible he could be more than he seems. I think he'll end up just being a just a hedge knight. Now Ser Morgarth, on the other hand, is my pick to do something important. I read a great theory on here that he's actually the elder brother

I think he may be from House Darklyn of Duskendale (Ser Shadrich of the Shady Glen). I thought I saw a reference to a Lord Darklyn having orange hair in The Mystery Knight, but can't find it now. Memory may be playing tricks. That House was supposedly destroyed after the Defiance but there might have been survivors. There are related families in that area.

I think he may be from House Darklyn of Duskendale (Ser Shadrich of the Shady Glen). I thought I saw a reference to a Lord Darklyn having orange hair in The Mystery Knight, but can't find it now. Memory may be playing tricks. That House was supposedly destroyed after the Defiance but there might have been survivors. There are related families in that area.

Yeah, it could be that as well. Darkes are said to still live. I'll add it to the list

Also why is it spelled Shadrick in the back of the book and Shadrich in the text? I don't think it is a mistake as it is in both AFFC and ADWD so they had plenty of time to get it right. Is it a clue or just Brienne and Sansa being an unreliable narrators?

Not really, he's just mentioned.

"From Maidenpool had come Lord Mooton, from Raventree Lord Blackwood, from Duskendale Lord Darklyn. The royal demenses about King’s Landing sent forth Hayfords, Rosbys, (...)"

Not really, he's just mentioned.

"From Maidenpool had come Lord Mooton, from Raventree Lord Blackwood, from Duskendale Lord Darklyn. The royal demenses about King’s Landing sent forth Hayfords, Rosbys, (...)"

Yeah, I found that as well.

But also, when going through the Hedge Knight, I found Ser Donnel of Duskendale - who was described as having Red hair beard.

And also come to think about it, didn't Dontos Hollard have red hair? And also I remember something about their noses being described as similar to each other.

There's definitely something intriguing about him that makes it plausible he could be more than he seems. I think he'll end up just being a just a hedge knight. Now Ser Morgarth, on the other hand, is my pick to do something important. I read a great theory on here that he's actually the elder brother

I've just read the theory. It really does fit.

I think if that is the case, Shadrich is in league with the Elder Brother, and is aware of his plan (if the Elder Brother has one).

• 10 months later...

9. Just a sellsword

PROS:

+Sometimes a tree is just a tree

CONS:

-Appears twice, in two different important PoV chapters

-Way to described to be just a passing character

This. He is a typical sellsword who can sell anything for gold. I think after Sansa kills LF and decides to unite with her brother Rickon, she will trust Shadrich to take her North. (surprise - this will be the first time Sansa puts her trust in the wrong people!)

However, he will betray her and take her to KL and sell her to Cersei.

1 or 9 is what I think. He knows that Sansa is a wanted fugitive and he probably wants his reward. He is looking for Sansa and he arrives at the Vale, he isnt there because GRRM couldn't think of any new names, he is there for a reason, he might not recognise Alayne= Sansa straightaway but he will be important in WoW

Archived