What did Ned really want for Jon's future?

Suzanna Stormborn

Of course Ned could have hidden reasons, but according to his dialogue in the book, he thought taking Jon to KL would be cruel to him:

Yes, there are bastards in KL, but as Hand of the King, Ned's household is part of the court, where bastards are apparently not accepted.

We can never be sure if that was NEd's real reason or just the reason he gave because he has to keep Jon's secret.

All in all, Ned was a pretty good father to Jon. He wanted what anyone would want for their son/nephew in that setting. He wanted him with responsibilities enough to keep him challenged and prospering, he wanted him in a position where he could survive winter and raise a family, and he wanted him to be able to do what he wanted with his life. Ned never had any designs for power. He wasn't born and bred for power, he took it reluctantly after his brother died. He fought against Aerys for the sake of himself, his friends, and his family, and it was only with the utmost reluctance that he even took the Hand of the King position, when most other lords would leap at the chance to grasp power.

Ned wasn't made for the Game, and I doubt he raised Jon to be a participant as well.

For real. I think Ned had an idealistic worldview that clashed really hard with the reality of life as a high lord in the Seven Kingdoms. He just wanted to keep his family safe and close, which is very different from trying to prepare his kids to play the game of thrones. He and Cat are also the only parents we ever see showing anything close to well adjusted affection or caring for their kids.

Edit: Oh also on the thing about bastards rising high at court in King's Landing, Aurane Waters was appointed Master of Ships by Cersei after her descent into delusion. There weren't any notable bastards (certainly none on the small council) that I can think of in KL when Robert made Ned Hand.

Of course Ned could have hidden reasons, but according to his dialogue in the book, he thought taking Jon to KL would be cruel to him:

Yes, there are bastards in KL, but as Hand of the King, Ned's household is part of the court, where bastards are apparently not accepted.

We know it's not cruel though. Many bastards are able to make great futures there. Look at Aurean Waters, he's a bastard and member of the small council and master of ships. Jon also would get a chance to train with the City Watch or possibly even the KG. There have been bastard members of the KG iirc in the past. He also would have a chance to meet lorda and knights and become a squire and eventually a knight, and possibly even advance himself to Lord or Landed Knight some day. Ned's insistence that it's "cruel" to take a bastard to KL is a flat out lie.

We can never be sure if that was NEd's real reason or just the reason he gave because he has to keep Jon's secret.

Which I concede. But is there any evidence in the books of how bastards are treated in Robert's court?

ETA: Ah, I have no recollection of Aurean Waters.

Everything would have been different. But through all this I think we can see that Ned knew and respected Jon true lineage, didnt want to put him in harms way because of it (a harm he didnt think would apply to his daughters). So really he was being even more careful with Jon than he was with his own children. He could have said no when Jon wanted to go to the Wall.......I still think deep down Ned knows how important and special Jon is, and even if he didnt want to overthrow Robert and even if he would have never wanted Jon to break his NW vows, something inside him knew to keep Jon at the edge of the world and safe for some later fate.

Which is why he should have sent him to Howland. Howland is the #1 option for Jon, but Ned never even considers it, because he lacks planning. It's Ned's largest flaw. He knows the Wall is not a good place, full of criminals, and a lifelong service to boot. He also doesn't want Jon in KL for personal and safety reasons, which I don't disagree with. Just saying that the excuse he gives Cat is a lie.

I think Jon would have eventually married Dacey. They were relatively close in age (she is like 5 years older big whoop) and it could also work out relatively well for the Mormonts. Bringing them further into the Stark family could only benefit them.

More like 10 years actually, she was born before 276.

I think Jon would have eventually married Dacey. They were relatively close in age (she is like 5 years older big whoop) and it could also work out relatively well for the Mormonts. Bringing them further into the Stark family could only benefit them.

Marrying a Mormont is an excellent option down the road, has many perks. Since Jon is a Snow his kids could use Mormont as their name, this would be a plus for Darcy and her family. It's also keeps Jon as one of Robb's bannermen, and out of the eye of Robert since Bear Island is a minor holding.

She was being left as Regent of Winterfell thus she had every right, otherwise Ned would ignored her demand and forced Jon to stay at Winterfell. Funny, how you complain about Jon being condemned for something he did in the text while having no problem condemning Catelyn for something that text completely disproves. Aka that Catelyn was the one that recommended the Wall.

pretty sure they merely meant that Jon has no right as heir to WF. Too lazy to read further if they further explained

Ned is trying to sell a load of bull.

There are bastards that have become kingsguard and members of the small council, thus there is no reason to believe that Jon would suffer unduly if he went to King's Landing. Especially, as Ned could easily set him up with an easy position of being Jory's right hand man in charge of his guard.

Marrying a Mormont is an excellent option down the road, has many perks. Since Jon is a Snow his kids could use Mormont as their name, this would be a plus for Darcy and her family. It's also keeps Jon as one of Robb's bannermen, and out of the eye of Robert since Bear Island is a minor holding.

Agreed - it's a win-win cituation all around.

pretty sure they merely meant that Jon has no right as heir to WF. Too lazy to read further if they further explained

JQC's comment about them having no right is in reference to Catelyn.

so what if Dacey is 10 years older! Men marry girls a lot younger than that all the time! #equalrights

Wouldn't matter to me. Every woman, I've dated, after I hit age of 25; have been 5+ years older than I am. Plus, Jon would have been very lucky to have a Mormont girl. He takes, the name, his kids would be true born and let's be real...that girl would treat Jon better than any king, ever was; that's the loyalty the Mormont have for the Starks.

Really, in regard to inheritance and position, what's the difference between a second son and a bastard son held in high-regard by his older brother and father? Jon and Robb got along very well, Ned clearly loved him, and he wasn't going to inherit anything anyway. Jon could have been used for a marriage with pretty much any northern house as a way of reaffirming their ties to House Stark, and having a respected voice with their lord/future lord.

I think Ned's intentions for Jon's future was for him to have an honorable and meaningful existence. Whether he was operating under the premise of R+L=J or if Jon was Ned's bastard he would have wanted Jon to hold a keep under Robb or serve in the NW. For Ned Jon's parentage did not matter because he was illegitimate in Ned's eyes anyway, I don't think Ned had any intention of Jon becoming a Targ heir, nor would Ned support another Targ monarchy, he had declared for Stannis. The NW is a sacred and honorable vocation for Starks so even in his reluctance in the beginning he thought it an appropriate thing for Jon, and he was proud.

Wouldn't matter to me. Every woman, I've dated, after I hit age of 25; have been 5+ years older than I am. Plus, Jon would have been very lucky to have a Mormont girl. He takes, the name, his kids would be true born and let's be real...that girl would treat Jon better than any king, ever was; that's the loyalty the Mormont have for the Starks.

I don't think the age difference would have been an issue at all.

We know it's not cruel though. Many bastards are able to make great futures there. Look at Aurean Waters, he's a bastard and member of the small council and master of ships. Jon also would get a chance to train with the City Watch or possibly even the KG. There have been bastard members of the KG iirc in the past. He also would have a chance to meet lorda and knights and become a squire and eventually a knight, and possibly even advance himself to Lord or Landed Knight some day. Ned's insistence that it's "cruel" to take a bastard to KL is a flat out lie.

Aurane Waters was made Master of Ships by Cersei after she started really going crazy, when her whole small council is made up of incompetents and yes-men. There weren't any bastards on the small council or really any places of prominence I can think of when Ned went south.

Archived