Cersei's Lies

Mithras

“I suppose not.” The king ran his fingers across the table. “Joffrey . . . I remember once, this kitchen cat . . . the cooks were wont to feed her scraps and fish heads. One told the boy that she had kittens in her belly, thinking he might want one. Joffrey opened up the poor thing with a dagger to see if it were true. When he found the kittens, he brought them to show to his father. Robert hit the boy so hard I thought he’d killed him.”

“Yes, I recall now,” Cersei said, “Robert often told Joff that a king must be bold.”

“And what were you telling him, pray? I did not fight a war to seat Robert the Second on the Iron Throne. You gave me to understand the boy cared nothing for his father.”

“Why would he? Robert ignored him. He would have beat him if I’d allowed it. That brute you made me marry once hit the boy so hard he knocked out two of his baby teeth, over some mischief with a cat. I told him I’d kill him in his sleep if he ever did it again, and he never did, but sometimes he would say things . . .”

Some mischief with a cat she says :tantrum:

I can explain here is a list of the people she genuinely cares about for certain:

Joffrey

Tommen

Myrcella

Jaime

And I think we're done. Anyone else who isn't on that list is not getting any semblance of compassion from Cersei.

• 3 weeks later...

But Cersei trying to assassinate Tyrion at Joffrey's wedding an ending up killing her own son? I just don't buy it. First of all, not even Cersei is as incompetent as that. Secondly, why try to to poison Tyrion at the wedding? We know she has a long-standing hatred for him, but why choose that particular moment of all possible times. Why choose such a public event? Wouldn't it be easier for her to bribe Tyrion's cook to poison his food while Tyrion is dining in private? Or arrange for an accident to befall him. The only other time she tried to have him killed before the wedding was at the battle of the Blackwater, which imo was a good and competent attempt. Many men die in a battle, so it would look like a random event, plus in the confusion of the battle probably no one would notice that it was Mandon Moore that killed him, and not one of the enemy. Tyrion was really lucky that Podrick happened to be around.

Cersei poisoning Joffrey is a crackpot idea but if I were to defend it, I could give answers to your questions.

First, everyone was expected to esat the wedding pie, so sending poisoned pie to Tyrion is not that weak. Besides, Tyrion was trolled by Joffrey and lost his appetite to eat the pie. Cersei would have never known that Joffrey would come and eat Tyrion's pie.

Doing this at the wedding is better than doing it privately. All the people at the wedding would think that Tyrion was choked with pigeon pie. Since Pycelle could not tell the truth and Tywin would not object to Tyrion's death, all would be fine.

Arranging an accident requires a high level of skill which Cersei does not have. She was very lucky at Robert's death.

Then there's this classic moment at Cersei's first meeting of the smallest council when Sansa's name comes up...

I ought to have shown her to the black cells as the daughter of a traitor, but instead I made her part of mine own household. She shared my hearth and hall, played with my own children. I fed her, dressed her, tried to make her a little less ignorant about the world, and how did she repay me for my kindness? She helped murder my son.

The scary thing is she actually believes it.

I had to admit I laughed so hard when I read this for the first time. Cersei is a classic narcissist. People are narcissistic are known to twist things to justify whatever they do. This is why she is so entertaining to me.

I can explain here is a list of the people she genuinely cares about for certain:

Joffrey

Tommen

Myrcella

Jaime

And I think we're done. Anyone else who isn't on that list is not getting any semblance of compassion from Cersei.

I don't even think she cares so much for Jaime, only enough when she wants some D, or needs him to "save her," and I think Jaime is beginning to realize this. Also, during the season 3 panel before S3 premiere, Lena Heady had an interesting quote when she said that she doesn't really love Jaime, she wants to be him.

Cersei "loves" Jaime as a living mirror, not as a person. It's classical narcissistic obsession, really. Which is why, when he's captured, she goes to what is apparently the next-best thing: Lancel.

As soon as he starts fighting her in earnest, and it becomes obvious to Cersei that Jaime's more than just a male carbon copy of her, she shows her lack of affection almost immediately - until she needs his services.

But Ned says

Ser Barristan’s look was troubled. “They say night’s beauties fade at dawn, and the children of wine are oft disowned in the morning light.”

“They say so,” Ned agreed, “but not of Robert.” Other men might reconsider words spoken in drunken bravado, but Robert Baratheon would remember and, remembering, would never back down.

Now it might be that Robert does not always remember what he says but it may well be that Cersei blames Robert for saying many things she says herself as her standard excuse.

She probably encouraged Jof to have Bran killed. She had the biggest motive.

Well thought, Cersei is clever in an evil way. Joff is just evil. This makes more sense than Robert saying such a thing. Cersie could not afford for Bran to possibly recover, she had everything to lose. Yes, I see this as a great example of her manipulation of other characters to carry out her will.

"Now it might be that Robert does not always remember what he says but it may well be that Cersei blames Robert for saying many things she says herself as her standard excuse.

She probably encouraged Jof to have Bran killed. She had the biggest motive."

Ned's knowledge of Robert was 15 years old based on the young man that he had known. Cersi's knowledge stems from 15 years of up close interaction. Frankly, Ned was wrong about many things Robert's character was just one of them.

"Since Pycelle could not tell the truth and Tywin would not object to Tyrion's death, all would be fine."

While Tywin might not object to Tyrians death he would presumably want to get at the bottom of his death. The wedding was a den of vipers and many of the celebrants were Lannister enemies. Tywin would want to know who killed Tyrian (he may have been a dwarf but he was a Lannister) and Pycelle was Tywin's creature. What would Tywin have done if he learned Cersi was behind Tyrians murder, likely exiled her to Casterly Rock or married her off immediately. Except for the incenst Tywin had few delusions about Cersi and he would have acted because her acts while possibly personally satisfying to him had been dangerously detrimental to the overall Lannister family which above all is what he cares about.

• 4 weeks later...

"'Treason is vile enough,' she declared furiously, 'but this is barefaced naked villainy, and I do not need a mincing eunuch to tell me what must be done with villains.' Tyrion took the letters from his sister's hands and compared them side by side. There were two copies, the words exactly alike, though they had been written in different hands....

'I want these letters burned, every one,' Cersei declared. 'No hint of this must reach my son's ears, or my father's.'

'I imagine Father's heard rather more than a hint by now,' Tyrion said drily. 'Doubtless Stannis sent a bird to Casterly Rock and another to Harrenhal. As for burning the letters, to what point? The song is sung, the wine is spilled, the wench is pregnant. And this is not as dire as it seems, in truth.'

Cersei turned on him in green-eyed fury. 'Are you utterly witless? Did you read what he says? The boy Joffery, he calls him. And he dares accuse ME of incest, adultery, and treason!'

Only because you are guilty. It was astonishing to see how angry Cersei could wax over accusations she knew perfectly well to be true. If we lose the war, she ought to take up mummery, she has a gift for it....

'I will not suffer to be called a whore!'.....

'Yes, yes,' the queen said impatiently. 'Bu first we must stop this filth from spreading further. The council must issue an edict. Any man heard speaking of incest or calling Joff a bastard should lose his tongue for it."

This is when I pretty much realized everything Cersei says is basically a load of crap. And also that she was more than a little bit insane.

Taena laughed. “My lord is more bountiful than dangerous, this is so. Yet . . . I hope Your Grace will not think the less of me, but I did not come a maid entire to Orton’s bed.”

You are all whores in the Free Cities, aren’t you? That was good to know; one day, she might be able to make use of it. “And pray, who was this lover who was so . . . full of danger?”

Cersei once again thinking in her head that Taena is a whore but not willing to judge herself in the same manner since she slept with Jaime the very morning of her wedding to Robert and certainly did not come to Robert's bed a maid.

• 3 weeks later...

“You talk about Aerys, Grandfather, but you were scared of him.”

“Joffrey, apologize to your grandfather,” said Cersei.

“Why should I? Everyone knows it’s true. My father won all the battles. He killed Prince Rhaegar and took the crown, while your father was hiding under Casterly Rock.” The boy gave his grandfather a defiant look. “A strong king acts boldly, he doesn’t just talk.”

“Father, I am sorry,” Cersei said, when the door was shut. “Joff has always been willful, I did warn you . . .”

“There is a long league’s worth of difference between willful and stupid. ‘A strong king acts boldly?’ Who told him that?

“Not me, I promise you,” said Cersei. “Most like it was something he heard Robert say . . .”

“The part about you hiding under Casterly Rock does sound like Robert.” Tyrion didn’t want Lord Tywin forgetting that bit.

“Yes, I recall now,” Cersei said, “Robert often told Joff that a king must be bold.”

She was obviously lying here. She was desperate enough to base her lie on to Tyrion’s trolling attempt.

“Perhaps his lordship was questioning the girl about her mistress,” Qyburn suggested. “Sansa Stark vanished the night the king was murdered, I have heard.”

“That’s so.” Cersei seized on the suggestion eagerly. “He was questioning her, to be sure. There can be no doubt.” She could see Tyrion leering, his mouth twisted into a monkey’s grin beneath the ruin of his nose. And what better way to question her than naked, with her legs well spread? the dwarf whispered. That’s how I like to question her too.

The queen turned away. I will not look at her. Suddenly it was too much even to be in the same room as the dead woman. She pushed past Qyburn, out into the hall.

Ser Osmund had been joined by his brothers Osney and Osfryd. “There is a dead woman in the Hand’s bedchamber,” Cersei told the three Kettleblacks. “No one is ever to know that she was here.”

“Aye, m’lady.” Ser Osney had faint scratches on his cheek where another of Tyrion’s whores had clawed him. “And what shall we do with her?”

“Feed her to your dogs. Keep her for a bedmate. What do I care? She was never here. I’ll have the tongue of any man who dares to say she was. Do you understand me?”

Of course Tywin’s death and and Shae’s corpse in his bed was much tougher than Joffrey’s BS. but still, I see a similarity in these cases. Cersei held on to her lie (I think she was well used to blame Robert for her follies) after Tyrion seemed to confirm her. In Tywin’s case, she jumped to Qyburn’s lie.

The rest is also interesting. Although she imagines Tyrion as the voice of reason, she ignores him and builds a wall over the foundation set by Qyburn easily.

Archived