Nan's Stories

Pg 241

"He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched, until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest and their secret cities. One by one his friends died, his horse, and even his dog, His sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. The Others smelled the hot blood in him, and came silent on his trail, stalking him with pale white spiders as big as hounds..." Could this man be Coldhands?

a) The story never ends so we don't know what happened to the man.

b) Coldhands rides a moose, (because his horse died???)

c) He is a man but does not have warm blood

d) he knew the secret entrance to get past the Wall, is that what he used to get to the other side

e) He was sent to find Bran who goes to the children of the forest which is where Coldhands searched for for so long

But the Wall was built after the War of Dawn, during the Age of Heroes while men expanded and the Singers faded. That's why people think Coldhands is Brandon Stark or someone that came later. Bran would certainly know about the secret entrance since he built the Wall and presumably Nightfort.

Pg 241

"He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched, until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest and their secret cities. One by one his friends died, his horse, and even his dog, His sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. The Others smelled the hot blood in him, and came silent on his trail, stalking him with pale white spiders as big as hounds..." Could this man be Coldhands?

a) The story never ends so we don't know what happened to the man.

B) Coldhands rides a moose, (because his horse died???)

c) He is a man but does not have warm blood

d) he knew the secret entrance to get past the Wall, is that what he used to get to the other side

e) He was sent to find Bran who goes to the children of the forest which is where Coldhands searched for for so long

It seems like a bit of a stretch to me especially since the theories of Coldhands actually being the Nights King or Brandon Stark or Uncle Benjen -not that I'm saying I believe it personally- present a much more plausible scenario as opposed it being some nameless guy from a random story. Old Nans story seems to only serve the purpose of acquainting the reader with the Others as they're known in the folklore of the North.

It seems like a bit of a stretch to me especially since the theories of Coldhands actually being the Nights King or Brandon Stark or Uncle Benjen -not that I'm saying I believe it personally- present a much more plausible scenario as opposed it being some nameless guy from a random story. Old Nans story seems to only serve the purpose of acquainting the reader with the Others as they're known in the folklore of the North.

Yes but this particular story was never finished, so could Martin be using this to show that Bran is going to finish the story and find the children of the forest to help protect the realms south of the wall

It is stated in AFFC that the las hero killed the Others with "dragonstrel" valyrian steel, only this was way before valyria, so what do you think?personally i think his blade came from Asshai, where Melisandre's red religion comes from, and where there is supposed to be magic still. We also know that magic is stronger wher dragons are alive so, perhaps a,dragons fire forged Lightbringer?

Its been also said that the last hero, AA was a Stark so. How did he got that sword?

I've been assuming Coldhands is Benjen. Seems a bit odd to just have him disappear otherwise. I hope we get some kind of closure on the issue before the end of the story. :)

If Coldhands is Benjen, wouldn't he have revealed himself to Bran? I'm sure it would have made matters a lot easier for Bran knowing that his uncle is protecting him.

It is stated in AFFC that the las hero killed the Others with "dragonstrel" valyrian steel, only this was way before valyria, so what do you think?personally i think his blade came from Asshai, where Melisandre's red religion comes from, and where there is supposed to be magic still. We also know that magic is stronger wher dragons are alive so, perhaps a,dragons fire forged Lightbringer?

Its been also said that the last hero, AA was a Stark so. How did he got that sword?

I'm sorry, I've probably just been an idiot and missed it but where does it say AA was a Stark

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I think coldhands is Benjen too. However, I really think Nan is one of those small but cool characters. She has that really ominous knowledge about her, and the Starks refer to her quite about in supernatural situations. The old crone knew more about what was too come without realising it!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is not stated that dragonsteel is Valyrian steel. That is a guess by Sam and/or Jon. Not a bad guess, but at that point there shouldn't have been ANY steel in Westeros. So unless the LH traveled to Essos, steel is unlikely. Dragon-forged steel sounds pretty awesome to me, but VS is supposed to be spell-forged as well, so there must be more to it.

I don't recall Old Nan saying the Last Hero was a Stark but it makes sense to me. They seem pretty heavily involved with the ice side of the series. ON does say that Night's King was a Stark.

Actually we don't know that LH and AA are the same person, or how many of the details are true. GRRM said once that readers should pay less attention to prophecies and more to Old Nan's stories. ON has yet to say anything about red swords that give off heat.

Cold hands is not benjen there is no way he is benjen !george needs to bring back benjen or tell us what happened to him !i think benjen appear in the next book in the lands of winter captured by his great great uncle Brandon nights king stark

Archived