Why Royce?

Selmy's Suspicions

Looking back to look ahead, I was immediately struck by the choice to have a Royce introduce the series. With all of the characters at his disposal, GRRM introduces the reader to Westeros through the actions of Waymar Royce. Starting with AGoT and continuing through the novels published thus far, Yohn Royce is lauded by most all, and is well established as a figure of note, without playing much of a role in the big picture. The Vale is one of the great unmoved pieces in the saga as of ADWD. Is Martin's choice to begin the AGoT with a Royce a sign of things to come? I tend to think it has be significant. Thoughts?

I made a similar thread on this which was wildly unpopular :lol: . *ahem* sorry. I believe Royce words "We Remember" are relevant in this scenario. When the time comes, the loyalty of House Royce will not lie where they can advance themselves in the game of thrones, but they will stand with the one concerned with the real threat beyond the wall (Jon or Dany). Also remember that Yohn Royce had a very curious armor in the tourney having glyphs of the first men on it. :)

I made a similar thread on this which was wildly unpopular :lol: . *ahem* sorry. I believe Royce words "We Remember" are relevant in this scenario. When the time comes, the loyalty of House Royce will not lie where they can advance themselves in the game of thrones, but they will stand with the one concerned with the real threat beyond the wall (Jon or Dany). Also remember that Yohn Royce had a very curious armor in the tourney having glyphs of the first men on it. :)

I suspected I wasn't breaking new ground, but I couldn't find this topic as a thread unto itself. Perhaps that's because no one is interested. Just so. Given the number of pages dedicated to describing, not only Bronze Yohn, but the Vale and the Eyrie itself, it just seems like a serious case of Chekhov's gun. Then, when I started my revisit, I thought it couldn't just be coincidence to see the whole thing start with a member of House Royce.

Hmm i am intrigued by house Royce, I find myself liking them despite having had such little "screen time" Yohn has a cool name for a start and that armour sounds epic. Robar Royce assisted in Cat & Brienne's escape after Renly's murder, Waymar for being maligned so oft was actually pretty damn badass & brave, "dance with me"..

the fact that the Royce's and teh Starks would seem to have some ongoing connection lends then kudos IMO, Yohn and Waymar stop at Winterfell and spar with Ned & Ser Rodderick.

The cadet branch of house Royce have intermarried with the Stark line in the past. Randa appears to be a funny, irreverent and confident woman exactly what Sansa needs in a companion.

Their words are indeed interesting and could be taken as a hint of their role to come. "We Remember". I predict great things for House Royce. fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I may be off by using the world of ice and fire as reference here . But in the last pages there is a stark family tree going back several generations and there are many "Royce's" in it .

Not at all. When Robb is discussing naming an heir Cat tells him he has cousins in the Vale. That would be them. :)

Martin narrates his “Prologue” from the “limited” third-person-point of view, which means the author and the readers are “limited to” Will’s perspective.

I do agree with the ideas on the “over-the-top Ser “Way More” Royce”, with his wardrobe, titles, and trappings of wealth.

This is an excerpt from one of my close reading essays on the prologue from AGoT :

MARTIN and NOMENCLATURE

WILL and GARED in the “PROLOGUE” from A GAME of THRONES

Will and Gared may be dispensable, “generic” rangers on a fatal mission whose lives are forfeit because of their inexperienced commander Ser Waymar Royce, but Martin names them with purpose as a way to honor and thank two authors who inspire his prose fiction in A Song of Ice and Fire Series. The appearance of the names Will and Gared in the first “Prologue” of a voluminous series of novels speaks to the degree of gratitude Martin owes his sources.

First, Will is short for “William”, or for “William Shakespeare”, the celebrated English writer whose works still have universal appeal hundreds of years after his death. It is no secret that Martin borrows from “the bard”, and among Shakespeare’s many poetic plays that Martin alludes to in conflicts, plot elements, and language, The Tragedy of Julius Caesar ranks high as the source material Martin prefers, putting his own “spin” on ideas and themes throughout his fantasy novels.

To convey Will’s association with Shakespeare, Martin includes details pertaining to Will’s crime of poaching a deer that parallels similar events Shakespeare biographers debate happened to young Will Shakespeare before his arrival in London.

Martin says of Will’s crime:

“Will had been a hunter before he joined the Night’s Watch. Well, a poacher in truth. Mallister freeriders had caught him red-handed in the Mallisters’ own woods, skinning one of the Mallisters’ own bucks, and it had been a choice of putting on the black or losing a hand” (AGoT).

Likewise, William Shakespeare trespasses on Sir Thomas Lucy’s property to kill a deer. In the article “In Search of Shakespeare: The Poaching Myth 1598”, a PBS.org author writes:

“Though the tale is widely discredited today, three seventeenth-century accounts claim that Shakespeare was once beaten and imprisoned for poaching [a deer]. The alleged crime took place on land belonging to Sir Thomas Lucy - one of Walsingham's and Elizabeth's chief enforcers”. [http://www.pbs.org/shakespeare/events/event83.html]].

Although Will and Will share like crimes, their punishments are quite different. Ranger Will chooses an option that will take him a lifetime to repay, but he prefers becoming a Sworn Brother of the Night’s Watch over losing his hand, which is an early allusion to the stigma associated with disfigurement in Martin’s world of ice and fire.

Second, the name “Gared” has an unusual spelling, one not Americanized with a “J”. However, Martin aspires to create memorable characters, and he alters spellings of familiar names to give them a medieval flare. Analyzing the spelling of “Gared” requires some mental creativity: when readers divide “Gared” into two syllables, GAR / ED, and transpose them, one with the other, the “revised” appellation is EDGAR, the first name of American author and poet Edgar Allan Poe.

Of course, the obvious inspiration Martin takes from Poe is Lord Commander Mormont’s talking raven, a character that owes a debt of gratitude to Poe’s poem “The Raven”. The title bird flies in a window and perches on a bust of Athena, and he punctuates any question the narrator poses by saying hauntingly “Nevermore!” The narrator asks the raven if he will ever see his dead lover Lenore: quothe the raven, “Nevermore!”

Furthermore, Poe’s favorite thematic inclusion in several of his short stories is the death of a beautiful woman. In Martin’s I & F Series, the death of Lyanna Stark haunts Ned and figures in many other character arcs throughout the novels.

The

• 1 month later...

Archived