Tyrion hatred

Brightstar_

Perhaps I've just been reading the wrong threads but it seems to me that Tyrion has very few fans and a lot of haters on this forum.

Am I wrong in assuming this?

The people who judge Tyrion as being a dick and a self-pitying whiner, are VERY quick to judge in my eyes.

Please, if you hate Tyrion, type out an elaborate reply letting me know why, and if you love him, feel free to do the same.

Well, Peter Dinklage didn't thank GRRM when he won his Emmy heh!

Okay, so let's go with agreed, and followed through on arming what would in most civilizations qualify as a bunch of terrorists with advanced weapons and armor to save his own ass. Tyrion should be smart enough to know that it's not Lysa or the nobility that will suffer because of this but the common folk. So, every girl kidnapped and raped in the Vale and every raid that takes yet more innocent life is related directly to this action going forward. Thanks Tyrion.

Why would it get locked?

Also very strong arguments, totally not out of context or twisting the situation.

Because Tyrion threads usually devolve into a heated argument on either rape or forced marriages.

Also, Tyrion had three options in regards to Sansa: marry her, marry Lollys or wait while his father found him another bride, He chose Sansa.

Love Him!!

1. He's hilarious, him and Stannis make me LOL the most when reading

2. He grew up in one of the most fucked up families in Westeros and didn't turn out like Cersei or Joff.

3. befriended Jon right away

4. is able to do battle despite his size

5. LOVES TO READ!!! this is a huge plus in my book

6. Talks and thinks of dragons more than any other characters not in the official targaryen family

7. has a way with words, talked his way out of a lot of situations (even though it gets him in trouble sometimes too.)

8. loves to drink

9. he isn't stuck up or full of himself

10. completely tricked fAegon with one paragraph, (totally changed the course of the next 2 books with one conversation, and possibly started the next Blackfyre rebellion)

.......theres a lot more reasons :)

For many people it's a contrarian knee-jerk reaction to hate what other people like.

For many others it's going with the flow after reading a ton of the above contrarian hate-threads.

Yes I figured it was something like that, mostly the latter. I myself am already growing weary of defending him against the same accusations over and over. I keep forgetting almost everyone on this forum is a completely selfless person, only doing what is best for everyone, even if it includes ignoring their own needs or desires, and thus judge Tyrion on equal ground.

I think Tyrion has a lot of fans, but haters are always louder then lovers.

I always felt the Tyrion hate sprung from people who just didn't like that he was kinda a dick when it came to speaking with people and treating people. He's a smart@ss. He's blunt. He's the opposite of polite and cordial.

I never knew there was this rape and forced marriage thing going on. Arranged marriages are the norm in Westeros. I don't think that necessarily makes them right but it makes it easier to sympathize with.

I had no idea that Tyrion raped or molested Sansa. As far as I know Tyrion was rather gallant by not raping or molesting Sansa. But that draws one into the argument where some believe that not raping someone doesn't make you a good person.

In a lot of situations he is humbled, knows that he is dwarf, and most dwarf babies are killed. He is justified in thinking he is smart cuz he reads a lot and is smart. But I wouldnt consider him a self-righteous character where it is undeserved.

How does knowing he is a dwarf negate him being full of himself?

He is so full of himself he constantly underestimates others, for instance his content when Catelyn announces that she's taking him to Winterfell, he does not even contemplate it might be a ruse, he suspects Littlefinger of setting him up wrt the dagger, yet does nothing as he thinks he's playing him etc.

He is so full of himself he constantly underestimates others, for instance his content when Catelyn announces that she's taking him to Winterfell, he does not even contemplate it might be a ruse, he suspects Littlefinger of setting him up wrt the dagger, yet does nothing as he thinks he's playing him etc.

If he constantly underestimated others, I don't think he'd have made as good a Hand as he did now don't you agree? If anything, Tyrion is very good at reading other people.

If he constantly underestimated others, I don't think he'd have made as good a Hand as he did now don't you agree? If anything, Tyrion is very good at reading other people.

right! I am saying when he is self-assured or when he does underestimate people he is usually right about it.

Jory Cassel, your example of him underestimating Catelyn is a good example of him being wrong, but it doesn't happen too often.

1. Forcibly married and molested a twelve year old prisoner.

Molests? Your definition and mine are certainly different here. He never lays a finger or other body part on her. In fact he prevents her from being disrobed on the way to the bedchamber.

He didn't supply the force in that marriage ceremony; it was Tywin and at his (or Cersei's) orders the King's Guardsmen. Sansa would have been forcibly married to some other Lannister than Tyrion if he had taken one of the other options. Would the same hate be directed toward Lancel, Daven, or other character? I strongly doubt that.

Molests? Your definition and mine are certainly different here. He never lays a finger or other body part on her. In fact he prevents her from being disrobed on the way to the bedchamber.

He didn't supply the force in that marriage ceremony; it was Tywin and at his (or Cersei's) orders the King's Guardsmen. Sansa would have been forcibly married to some other Lannister than Tyrion if he had taken one of the other options. Would the same hate be directed toward Lancel, Daven, or other character? I strongly doubt that.

YEs!! Think of what she would have went through forcibly married to anyone else in the Lannister family, Shit, Tywin could have even married her himself.

Archived