Do you view Daenerys as a dishonorable character?

Guard of the Rainking

So far Daenerys has (in my opinion) done some pretty dishonorable things during the series. She let's her husband pillage lands so, that they would get wealth for ships. She later steals an unsullied army, attacks Yunkai and Meereen and takes control of the latter without any rights.

So do you view her acts as dishonorable ones or is there something, that justifies them?

I don't find her to be inherently dishonorable so much as inconsistent. She argues for the letter of the law when doing so benefits her, and does dishonorable things when doing so helps her.

You could argue that might makes right and superior firepower gives her her rights. The flip side though is that Robert's superior firepower gave HIM the right to rule Westeros and depose her father.

I think dishonorable actions can be justified, but they are still dishonorable. We do see some of the repercussions of this behavior later on in the series. People throughout Essos refuse to accept envoys from her when she becomes queen of Meereen, likely in part due to the fact that she has broken agreements in the past. Trust is key in this setting and when you have someone like this who shatters agreements and breaks social norms with abandon it makes it hard to trust them even if they had good reasons for doing so.

Dany has essentially put herself in the position of being like the Freys of the Crossing, and while some of the things that are said about her are lies the things that are true are enough to make it hard for her to make deals and network with people beyond those who know her personally and have received benefits from her actions.

EDIT: Obviously, there is no logical reason to pin Dany for the crimes of Khal Drogo. Does anyone think that Dany actually changed Khal Drogo's overall leadership style? He pillaged and raided before he met her and would have kept on doing it even if they had never met. I would rather hold Dany accountable for her own decisions, not for the decisions of her captor husband.

. She let's her husband pillage lands so, that they would get wealth for ships. S

You lose credibility from this point on.

Fuck honour. Throughout history,"honour" has been used as an excuse to justify all sorts of shit, from misogyny to sanctioned murder via duels.

Is Dany "dishonourable"? Probably. Doesn't take away from her being a hero.

Fuck honour. Throughout history,"honour" has been used as an excuse to justify all sorts of shit, from misogyny to sanctioned murder via duels.

How do I exactly lose credibility for pointing out what happened?

How do I exactly lose credibility for pointing out what happened?

Because Dany doesn't allow shit. The Dothraki are a race of pillagers, rapist, and murders. Drogo has hundred of bells in his hair, meaning he's won hundreds of battles. He raped, pillaged and sold slaves long before Dany. All Dany supplied was a direction for what to do with the money they got. Blaming Dany for Drogo's actions is about as straw man as you can get.

Is she dishonorable? Maybe, but who isn't? It's just the world they live in and the definition of Honor they use. Cheating the Slave Masters, dishonorable? Maybe, but don't expect me to cry over men who cost millions of lives. Someone once broke down the "cost" of each unsullied, for 1 unsullied soldier something like 10 people die. I'm not shedding tears over ending that practice.

The 2 worst things Dany has done IMO are allowing the wine sellers daughters to be tortured and leaving Astapor with no real government. One was done out of desperation, one out of naiveté.

Ned ? Stannis ?

Ned either created a bastard while married or lied about doing just that for 14 years.

Stannis allows Mel to do some pretty heinous things, including burning people and their sacred totems.

Note: this doesn't make them bad people, just human, everyone messes up and "honor" is such a tricky thing.

An antihero, IMHO.

Ned either created a bastard while married or lied about doing just that for 14 years.

Stannis allows Mel to do some pretty heinous things, including burning people and their sacred totems.

Note: this doesn't make them bad people, just human, everyone messes up and "honor" is such a tricky thing.

"Honour" can lead to Ned resigning his office, rather than sanction the murder of a pregnant 14 year old; or to Ser Barristan standing aside as Aerys rips out a woman's private parts and burns her alive.

"Honour" can lead to Ned resigning his office, rather than sanction the murder of a pregnant 14 year old; or to Ser Barristan standing aside as Aerys rips out a woman's private parts and burns her alive.

Exactly. Things done in the name of honor are rarely honorable. To be truly honorable might just make you the biggest monster of all.

Archived