Chapter 8 Jon

Throstle

Kill the boy, thought Jon. "You will. Else I promise you, the day that they burn Dalla's boy, yours will die as well"

Anyone else think it was wrong of Jon to threaten to kill a baby like that? It's Gilly's son , and should be Gilly's choice.

I thought Jon's reaction to Slynt's refusal to obey his command was a bit extreme too. Jon beheads him because he is a threat to his power, as much as because he disobeyed. I mean The Night's Watch recruits thieves and murders, I'm sure there is lots of instances of disobedience with lesser punishment. I think that it was what Lord Edard Stark tried to teach his sons, that life is valuable, and you should not take killing lightly. No one seems to question Jon order either so I guess the Lord Commander has the same power as a king. Dispensing justice as he sees fit.

• 3 weeks later...

"Kill the boy" I thought that was out of character too, but at the end of the chapter, we learn that he wasn't thinking about the baby.... he was thinking about the BOY IN HIM. Kill the boy, be the man. No longer a child, a commander of the Nights Watch. Kill the boy.

I think killing Janos was the only way to enforce his command. Janos would never be anything more then insolent disrespectful. By killing him, Jon earned the respect of many men who might have doubted him, including 'King' Stannis. He did the killing justly, with his own blade as his father taught him.

Janos would have killed Jon in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. Jon did the right thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think killing Janos was the only way to enforce his command. Janos would never be anything more then insolent disrespectful. By killing him, Jon earned the respect of many men who might have doubted him, including 'King' Stannis. He did the killing justly, with his own blade as his father taught him.

Janos would have killed Jon in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. Jon did the right thing.

I agree...I got chills when Stannis gave him a nod.

I was really surprised when Jon executed Janos Slynt. Not gonna say I didn't want it, heh.

I don't think Jon will let Mel burn the wrong child. No problem telling the truth now, little Mance is leagues away and Stannis seems to like him just a level less than Davos.

I was really surprised when Jon executed Janos Slynt. Not gonna say I didn't want it, heh.

I don't think Jon will let Mel burn the wrong child. No problem telling the truth now, little Mance is leagues away and Stannis seems to like him just a level less than Davos.

I agree!

Archived