Community: #twentyseasonsandabuttflagonthemoon

OnionAhaiReborn

The first blanket fort episode is better than the second, even with the War Docu parody, but Tory and Abed telling painful truths about one another is one of the shows best moments.

As an adorer and several times over re-watcher of Ken Burns' Civil War series, the second blanket fort episode really did it for me. One of my all-time favorites.

Yeah, as nervous as I am about how well the show will function now that they've dealt, rather brilliantly, with the departures of Pierce and Troy, I'm still a bit bummed that we won't be getting new episodes until after the break. So far the season has been really top notch. I recently rewatched the season so far. The weakest episode, Basic Intergluteal Numismatics, was much better when placed in context (the scene between Prof Duncan and Annie is played perfectly).

I agree, the whole season has been top notch. Intergluteal Numismatics worked immediately for me though, and I think I'd say it's my favorite, if pressed.

What the fuck is this show without Troy?

Jeff is an asshole and a party-pooper, Annie is annoying, Shirley is boring, Britta is sometimes funny but mostly a drag, and while Abed is great, he's funniest when interacting with Troy.

I'm gonna stop watching methinks.

I disagree with mostly everything you're saying here, and I definitely will not stop watching the show, but... the darkest timeline is the one where Troy leaves to get the pizza.

Did you ever think the new Pierce concept might be stupid :)

Spoken like the new Pierce. :P

They really need to start developing Annie. She's hardly been touched upon, and is the least developed of the study group. At least last episode mainly focused on Annie.

I think she has been developed. She's in charge of the committee, has been taking a more direct role in getting what she wants, and to show it externally she's even been dressing more maturely.

I think she has been developed. She's in charge of the committee, has been taking a more direct role in getting what she wants, and to show it externally she's even been dressing more maturely.

I definitely appreciate whats been done so far. Maybe I'm a bit biased because Annie's my favorite character, so I want to see her as much as possible :)

Wow sorry lightning lord I didn't mean offense. Your point actually was very valid. I was just quoting Jeff in the episode where they kick Pierce from the group and the new Pierce concept comes up.

Ah, I didn't realize you were quoting...sorry :( It's been awhile since I've seen that episode.

Ah, I didn't realize you were quoting...sorry :( It's been awhile since I've seen that episode.

Its ok. Sometimes I forget I'm more like abed than most people when it comes to TV viewing. Sometimes it causes awkwardness like this. Shows like community /the wire/deadwood /and archer I've seen enough to quote verbatim.

Nah, not awkwardness, just a few minutes of confusion. I should have picked up on the reference, especially given the "Sorry, had to do it" comment of your post.

More on-topic, I hope that they don't give too much of Troy's screen time to Chang. His character does very little for me. I would love if Professor Ian John Oliver-Duncan had more minutes. I would bet that that man could make reading a phonebook hilarious.

I dunno, she's been fairly easily charmed/seduced by him on several occasions while pretending to be Don Draper, Jeff, and Han Solo.

They do make the most sense, but Annie is so pure and nice while Jeff is so sleazy and vain (though from that one episode that had him flash though all the things that were important to him, she was on many of the slides).

Bye

Yeah, she kind of brings out the best in him. And though I loathe the old dramatic "broken man needs pure woman to heal him" cliche, I guess it works out well here.

No, I'm an Annie/Jeff fan. I think they're cute and the age difference never seemed that much to me. Maybe because I don't really think of Annie was as young as her character is supposed to be. I see her mid-20s, but I guess she's like 19 when the show starts?

She is supposed to be 19, but I'm with you, it never feels like she is 19. She seems to be in her mid 20s, he in his early 30s, which isn't ideal in some people's eyes, but their age gap doesn't seem nearly so large as it is in the show.

Edit: I also want to say this new season is great so far. As good as any of them, it is amazing how much Dan Harmon brings to the table. He is a tortured genius--listening to him talk can be a chore, but it's worth it to get to his humor, and his ideas once on paper seem golden.

The first episode without Troy showed that the show has a large enough cast of secondary characters (Chang, Professor Duncan) that can pick up the slack. I really like this season so far but I wouldn't mind a movie finishing it off after this with Donald (and potentially Chevy?!) returning. Too many episodes without the original study group just aint cricket

She is supposed to be 19, but I'm with you, it never feels like she is 19. She seems to be in her mid 20s, he in his early 30s, which isn't ideal in some people's eyes, but their age gap doesn't seem nearly so large as it is in the show.

Annie was just out of high school when the show started. I don't recall if they ever stated her age at the beginning, but she would have at the youngest have been 17, and most likely 18. Each season has corresponded to a year, so should would be at least 22 now. Given that some time has elapsed between the end of season 4 and the beginning of season 5, I don't think its unreasonable to assume that she's at least 23. I don't know if this is officially confirmed by the Community Wiki gives her birthdate as December, 1990, which would make her 23. Regardless, Jeff is in his mid-thirties. They are now at an age when a relationship between them would be a bit out of the norm, but not creepy.

I've always perceived the character as being in her early 20's, even at the beginning of the series. It was very consistent for the character to present herself as mature and responsible for her age. There are a few moments in the first season where her facade breaks down (the contraceptive awareness episode comes to mind for starters). They've also tried to show her growing up over the course of the series and seem to be making an subtle effort to show her transitioning into real adulthood.

The first episode without Troy showed that the show has a large enough cast of secondary characters (Chang, Professor Duncan) that can pick up the slack. I really like this season so far but I wouldn't mind a movie finishing it off after this with Donald (and potentially Chevy?!) returning. Too many episodes without the original study group just aint cricket

Pierce is dead and I'm pretty sure Chase is done with the series anyway. They can't even bring over darkest timeline Chase as he's dead there, as well.

Pierce is dead and I'm pretty sure Chase is done with the series anyway. I suppose if they could work out something with the actor, they could bring over darkest time-line Chase or something but that would be a stretch, even for Community.

Plus he's dead in the darkest timeline too. :lol:

Plus he's dead in the darkest timeline too. :lol:

Yeah, that was my bad. I remembered a couple of minutes after posting that and corrected it. My apologies. I think its safe to say that Pierce is gone.

Yeah, that was my bad. I remembered a couple of minutes after posting that and corrected it. My apologies. I think its safe to say that Pierce is gone.

No body, no certainty. I can see the whole tracker thing being relevant in the movie.

Whoah. Thems fighting words yo.

Song alone does it for me - A-S-S C-R-A-C-K Bandit!

It grew on me, in retrospect, especially when put in the context of the season to date.

I wonder if they will revisit the Ass Crack Bandit. They hint at the possibility several times. At the same time the ambiguous ending was perfect and provided closure would diminish it. It also wouldn't go along with the tropes they were following.

When I rewatched the episode, I tried to pay attention for any clues to the identity of the ACB. There is a suggestion that at least some of the incidents are by members of the group. Specifically, the Dean states that the ACB had not been active for a year. I honestly hope we will never know, but I wouldn't put it past this show for their to be an answer buried in the episode for those who are observant enough.

Davos,

I feel the same way about the ACB. That the answer is hidden somewhere for us to find, but I have been furiously rewatching season 1-3 looking for any hints or Dave Matthews references. So far I'm coming up empty but I know the truth is out there! I just have to rewatch a dozen or so more times to figure it out.

Community is my favourite comedy show by far since Scrubs. But after season 2 it has started to loose it's essance. Season 3 was alright but after Chevy Chase's departure it just has become nonsense. Now , Dany Glover's also gone , unacceptable !

I'll really miss Troy and Abed duo.

Best Bromance since JD and Turk.

I can't agree. Season 5 has been a return to glory for community. The likes of which I have never seen before. What show fires its showrunner and then brings him back because the small fan base demands it? If it wasn't for NBC's shit lineup I believe we would have lost community altogether already.

And minus pierce and Troy this show hasn't skipped a beat IMO.

Archived