LGBTQI Thread - An Ode to Lesbians

karaddin

Yeah serious response is lazy stereotype. If you want a more contemplative response it would be that certain subsets of homosexual men are even more drawn to the sculpted male body because they like masculinity and maleness in themselves and in their partner, where a heterosexual man will at most only ever like the masculinity and maleness in themselves, and masculinity in a female partner. But I think the numbers that would apply for are low.

And if I ever get the blood test results and find out I'm intersex AND I'm the one starting the next thread the ode to gay men will get pushed back behind intersex :p (actually I probably will anyway, I should have done intersex this time around).

Hi, Karaddin! How ya' doing? Been getting any good use out of that cherry dress?

(wrong thread, I know. Should be in fashion. :drunk:)

I have! I wore it to a gay and lesbian fair day on Sunday (and got sunburnt in it) and was looking all fabulous with that and rainbow nails. I have some dodgy photos which show the whole dress, and I got photographed for an art project by a very cute photographer who was flirting big time with me, although the good photo was just portrait so won't show the dress. Was good fun!

I'd been waiting for the fashion thread to get restarted to post photos, I've also got Brook in very loud rainbow tights and a partial leather top ;)

Yeah serious response is lazy stereotype. If you want a more contemplative response it would be that certain subsets of homosexual men are even more drawn to the sculpted male body because they like masculinity and maleness in themselves and in their partner, where a heterosexual man will at most only ever like the masculinity and maleness in themselves, and masculinity in a female partner. But I think the numbers that would apply for are low.

And if I ever get the blood test results and find out I'm intersex AND I'm the one starting the next thread the ode to gay men will get pushed back behind intersex :P (actually I probably will anyway, I should have done intersex this time around).

I have! I wore it to a gay and lesbian fair day on Sunday (and got sunburnt in it) and was looking all fabulous with that and rainbow nails. I have some dodgy photos which show the whole dress, and I got photographed for an art project by a very cute photographer who was flirting big time with me, although the good photo was just portrait so won't show the dress. Was good fun!

I'd been waiting for the fashion thread to get restarted to post photos, I've also got Brook in very loud rainbow tights and a partial leather top ;)

Sunburnt?! Impossible!! Not while I'm freezing here in the Great White Northtm.

I've forgotten what warmth is. :( OTOH, I'm getting good use out of some beautiful sweaters I bought recently. :thumbsup:

/threadjack

A bit of lesbian history from New York City. I found a bit of nostalgia, here.

A gay history timeline for Greenwich/West Village says this about the Duchess:

1980 Popular late '70s/early '80s lesbian hangout Duchess (101 Seventh Ave. South at Grove St.) begins coming under attack from state liquor license inspectors, reportedly refused service after they charmed the bartender with refrains of "Come on girlie, give us a drink."

Radical Walking Tours New York City (2011) provides additional detail:

One hundred-one Seventh Avenue South was a famous lesbian bar called the Duchess, until then-mayor Ed Koch took its liquor license away in the 80s by using the anti-discrimination laws against it, effectively closing it down.

I really liked the place. The bar tenders were cool, the customers friendly and the jukebox had all the right music. I often wound up there after work for a gin and tonic, or two. I was there, the evening the cops came and removed the liquor, because they'd lost their liquor license. A friend I was there with kept me from mouthing off to the cops. We tried to keep the place open by showing up, even if all we could buy was soda, but within two months, it was history. Never found another place like it.

Y'know, I'm still wating for a proper Pindaric Ode :P

This is not proper or good. But it is for the beautiful Lesbians of the world:

My room is trashed and most of my clothes are on the floor

I show up late, my hands shake, I pull out my ID

My dreams are through the door

Girls that I want to see

The room is full, beauty greets me everywhere I look

Arms, necks and eyes move to music I can’t even hear

Stunned, I feel like a crook

I order a cold beer

I take a deep breath and give my lipstick a rub. It’s my first night at a lesbian club.

Brook,

I agree. To me it, it appears to have started with transphobic in-laws, made worse by a cognitively impaired lower court judge.

But this is one of many reasons I'm focusing solely on getting SRS included in national healthcare. Since it is likely that courts in other jurisdictions will uphold that precedent established below, I think fighting for ensuring that transsexuals have the right to marry is worthwhile and allowing them access to SRS that permits them to,is equally necessary.

In sum, we hold that Texas law recognizes that an individual who has had a “sex change” is eligible to marry a person of the opposite sex.

This is also good news, even if the fact it even had to go that far in the first place makes me mad.

I find it strange that transsexuals just made a leap in front of homosexuals in this one in the quest for equality. In Texas of all places... A good thing, no doubt, but I was under the impression that the average neanderthal was even more afraid of the transgendered/transsexual person than the homosexual person. Again, I'm absolutely mystified that this happened in Texas.

Well I'm not really seeing how they have made any leap ahead? It's more like someone tried to drag them back to a situation where a transgender person could not marry anyone and now straight transgender men and women are allowed to marry just like everyone else while same-sex attracted trans people are still not.

For those who do not identify as binary, Facebook has provided custom gender options. Currently in effect in the US with no indication as to when it will expand elsewhere.

I was wondering about this. We're talking more than 50 options here. Even my ultra-leftist friendlist reacted with "One now needs a masters in gender studies and a blood relation to Judith Butler to figure out one's facebook gender*." Am I the only one who sees this as somehow...sarcastic? Either blank that box and let people fill it in as they will or delete it alltogether, but this thing where it's gradated to meaninglessness struck me as just weird.

*reacted to with: "Hurray, Masters of gender studies now have employment." Most of my flist does in fact consists of unemployed radical activists with higher degrees in social sciences, turned bitter and cynical by the approach of thirty with no sign of the revolution.

I was wondering about this. We're talking more than 50 options here. Even my ultra-leftist friendlist reacted with "One now needs a masters in gender studies and a blood relation to Judith Butler to figure out one's facebook gender*." Am I the only one who sees this as somehow...sarcastic? Either blank that box and let people fill it in as they will or delete it alltogether, but this thing where it's gradated to meaninglessness struck me as just weird.

*reacted to with: "Hurray, Masters of gender studies now have employment." Most of my flist does in fact consists of unemployed radical activists with higher degrees in social sciences, turned bitter and cynical by the approach of thirty with no sign of the revolution.

I looked over the list and then left mine set to, "female", where it has been since I opened the account.. I will not accept a descriptor that is a subset of the whole.

I actually saw someone only half jokingly post, she thought the idea was a failure because it didn't include, "whatever", as an option. I'll get an argument, but that list looks like it was composed by people who wanted sole rights to the words used to categorize them.

But hey, what do I know. I refuse to conflate sex and gender. I don't believe in placing disparate groups under a single umbrella term and I will not modify widely accepted medical, psychological and scientific terms, and use terms that are more to my advantage. Fighting the system and winning, is good. Cheating to do it, not so good.

A bit of lesbian history from New York City. I found a bit of nostalgia, here.

I really liked the place. The bar tenders were cool, the customers friendly and the jukebox had all the right music. I often wound up there after work for a gin and tonic, or two. I was there, the evening the cops came and removed the liquor, because they'd lost their liquor license. A friend I was there with kept me from mouthing off to the cops. We tried to keep the place open by showing up, even if all we could buy was soda, but within two months, it was history. Never found another place like it.

Did you ever go to Studio 54?, because if you did, won't lie, I'm kind of jealous :(.

Archived