Three heads of the dragon?

Niamhikus

got ya.

You can also say that Bran represents ice best, Dany is fire and Jon is both being stark/targ = fire/ice.

That's how I would see that particular dragon. The other alternative, that you mention of Dany, Jon and Tyrion would have the two magical elements and a political one.

That would also make a lot of sense in that it follows the story, in that politics plays a role whether good or bad. For this though, i don't believe that Tyrion is a dragon rider, but who know.

When Daenerys enters the House of the Undying the reader has no reason to question her legitimacy and the keen readers have already discerned that R+L=J. I think Daenerys's vision of Rhaegar is a hint to the reader that we should expect another Targaryen. And Septon Maribald's tale about the Clanking Dragon leaves the reader with the inescapable conclusion that this Targaryen will be a Blackfyre...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/101015-the-dragon-has-three-heads/

I do like the Jon Snow, Jon Targaryen and Jon Stark theory. However, if a head represents one different individual then-

Dany- She's the only valid 'dragon' we know of at this stage and has three dragons.

Jon- assuming R+L=J is true

Aegon- Is a Targaryen but he could be a fake? Would (F)Aegon/the murmurers dragon still count?

others to consider-

Tyrion- This seems popular with the evidence being his dragon dreams, plot leading him towards Dany and the theory- A+J= T

Bran- Based on the assumption that him being able to 'fly' will mean him warging into a dragon.

Also, 'The Dragon must have three heads' could just mean Rhaegar stating he needs to have/has three kids and acts as a clue towards R+L=J.

So in this case-

Aegon- His state of living is in question.

Rhaenys- She is deceased

Jon (most likely supposed to be Visenya)- Only if R+L=J is true and he seems more wolf than dragon.

Dear god new poster do not buy into the 3 heads are Jon Snows 3 different names.

The need for 3 separate individual DIFFERENT PEOPLE is what initially lead to Jon's birth as we are given evidence throughout *... Therefore its not simplky going to be some trinket where he has three different personalities or whatever.

* 1. Rhaegar looks at Dany in the Hotu and says there must be one more, per the prophecy. 2. While doing so he's looking at his first son aegon who he believes to be tptwp at the time. 3. Already thinking tptwp was born Rhaegar still was desperate enough to produce a third child, and Elia was too weak too bear any more children. 4. He then runs away with Lyanna, spurning the North and causing a great war, however believing it to be for the ultimate greater good (As many agree it will be having Jon against the Others)

5.(In short) Rhaegar had a very difficult job having to interpret so many vague prophecy's, which he seemed to feel he was obligated to fulfill after a certain point. He seems to have always only partly interpreted said prophecys correctly. He knew his son would be tptwp and he was right, but wrong thinking it was aegon. He knew two more companions would be needed to help Tptwp save westeros, as 3 heads were once needed to conquer it; he was wrong that all 3 "heads" would all be his children, but this belief is what lead to his desperation and Jon's eventual birth, the real Prince that was Promised

The 3 heads are/were Rhaenys, Aegon and Jon OR Rhaegar, Viserys and Dany

The prophecy likely said that AA/tPtwP is a child of three ("Mother of dragons...child of three"). For a while Rhaegar was sure the prophecy meant him, but then he apparently changed his mind. Why?

Because there was no sign of Dany or any other child of Aerys and Rhaella. For a while it seemed it was just going to be Rhaegar and Viserys, that's why he married Elia. And that's why he tried to fulfill the prophecy with his own kids ("There must be one more")

Maybe Rhaegar was afraid that Elia, described as a sickly woman, wasn't going to be able to give him another child. Enter Lyanna

And we also know the Ghost of HH said AA/tPtwP would come from the line of Aerys and Rhaella. Both Jon and Dany fulfill this requirement, and the one of having 2 siblings each.

The prophecy likely said that AA/tPtwP is a child of three ("Mother of dragons...child of three"). For a while Rhaegar was sure the prophecy meant him, but then he apparently changed his mind. Why?

Because there was no sign of Dany or any other child of Aerys and Rhaella. For a while it seemed it was just going to be Rhaegar and Viserys, that's why he married Elia. And that's why he tried to fulfill the prophecy with his own kids ("There must be one more")

Maybe Rhaegar was afraid that Elia, described as a sickly woman, wasn't going to be able to give him another child. Enter Lyanna

And we also know the Ghost of HH said AA/tPtwP would come from the line of Aerys and Rhaella. Both Jon and Dany fulfill this requirement, and the one of having 2 siblings each.

I like this but mother of dragons child of three (MODCO3???) can't be TPTWP/AAR unless Daenerys is TPTWP/AAR and Aemon wouldn't have been confused about the gender of TPTWP.

I think one of the main themes of the books are that you shouldn't take prophecy too literal, and that you shouldn't live your life to seek to fulfil them, as fate will do that for you.

Rhaegar has always been like this, seeking to fulfil prophecy. He read a book and thought he was tPtwP so he should learn to fight, he married for duty and from that marriage he needed three children because the dragon has three heads, when having a son he declared him tPtwP on the spot,...

I think it was only when he let himself have something of his own, live his own life when taking Lyanna (and probably knowing there could be consequences), that he managed to fulfil that prophecy.

It's very tempting with Daenerys' three dragons, not two or four but exactly three, who would all need riders at some point, to do a bit of substitution and have the result of the three heads of the dragons are the three riders, and Rhaegar thinking he needed to have one more child because the dragon has three heads, 'confirms' this. But does it? It would be very literal, and that's one thing that prophecy might not (always) do.

I just finished reading The Mystery Knight today, and in it Daemon II Blackfyre's dream of a dragon hatching from stone was Egg showing his ring, which identified himself as a true Targaryen, in Whitewalls. See how literal it was?

No Targaryen, when having a dream of a dragon with three heads, would probably ever come up with skinchanging being the answer to the riddle, as they do not understand it. The only ones who can figure out something like that are the Targaryens with First Men blood and who possess the gift, and those are a very, very rare sight indeed. That's why I can like that theory.

Does anyone think that the third head could be Stannis?

I know factional line here are not supposed to allow for Targ/Stannis role mixing etc. and they are supposed to some sorts of opposites; but leaving that aside:

1. He has dragon blood too, from the female side (like Faegon if he's Blackfyre) and legitimate

2. He is already at the wall (or in the north and concerned about the situation

3. It would make sense of many of Melisandre's visions (we haven't seen all of them). She seems to see dragons, and Stannis being significant to the fight at the wall etc. It could make better sense if he is a dragon head but not Azor Ahai.

4. He has the benefit of not being a character who was just introduced.

5. He is already in a good working relationship with Jon Snow who may well be Azor Ahai.

Why can he not be a dragon head? His Targaryen link may be just as good a Faegon and he seems to have more going for him otherwise.

No, Rhaegar read something about TPTWP/AAR and thought it could be him, as TPTWP is thought to be the Valyrian/Targ version of AA.

As far as I know and think the TPTWP/AAR prophecy have nothing to do with eachother, Rhaegar tried to unite them, he thought at first TPTWP/AAR might be him but then changed this mind to Aegon after he was born. The 3Heads of the Dragon, to Rhagear, was three Targs, which he thought could be his three children, including his TPTWP/AAR son. He misinterpreted the theory by thinking it was three individual Targs, when it's just one.

Yeah i dunno, I always kinda thought TPTWP may not even come in these books, that it was just a prophesy for people to drive themselves mad over, like Rheagar.

I dunno if i buy into the dragon being one person thing, at the end of the day, there are three dragons, not one, this was a miracle as GRRM said himself and i doubt the miracle brought about 3 dragons so dany could have two spare. Dany could still have a child therefore making the 3rd head, like she did get her period while she was out wandering the wilderness with drogon...it could go down a few different ways.

Yeah i dunno, I always kinda thought TPTWP may not even come in these books, that it was just a prophesy for people to drive themselves mad over, like Rheagar.

I dunno if i buy into the dragon being one person thing, at the end of the day, there are three dragons, not one, this was a miracle as GRRM said himself and i doubt the miracle brought about 3 dragons so dany could have two spare. Dany could still have a child therefore making the 3rd head, like she did get her period while she was out wandering the wilderness with drogon...it could go down a few different ways.

In the end my real issue with the three heads equals’ one person is that it all comes down to the CHOSEN ONE.

Honestly, I don't know how many ways GRRM can show us that this story isn't just about one character, one person saving the world. There will be many heroes before this story is over and some of them might not even be prophesied.

In the end my real issue with the three heads equals’ one person is that it all comes down to the CHOSEN ONE.

Honestly, I don't know how many ways GRRM can show us that this story isn't just about one character, one person saving the world. There will be many heroes before this story is over and some of them might not even be prophesied.

Completely agree, who knows Azor azai, TPTWP and danys 3 dragon heads could all be completely different people, perhaps from 3 different houses..

^Agreed with the unlikelihood of martin making one character so important.

The fact people think it's such a given that Jon is all three heads to the point of saying things like "your delusional otherwise" is pretty appalling since their conclusion is one where Jon has a bunch of different 3's involved like 3 different Jobs 3 different names..... You could do that for anyone, just because he's tptwp doesn't make that true.

Also even if GRRM finishes the books, were not going to be given such explicit answers to these borderline riddles; and mark my words even after Bran, Dany, Jon (maybe tyrion) all contribute towards saving the world people will still be on here with another 20,000 posts going. " ahh you see Jon had 3 different names at the end."

got ya.

You can also say that Bran represents ice best, Dany is fire and Jon is both being stark/targ = fire/ice.

Actually Bran represents Song the best, Jon Ice and Dany fire. People forget Greenseers are called singers. Bran has an obvious connection to the singers, Jon the wall and Dany Dragons.

Archived