Small Questions v 10024

Stubby

No, I'm thinking of the point where Cersei takes Rosby's wealth for the Crown. I'm sure there is a point where Cersei's smallest council discuss it

ETA: maybe i imagined it, I just searched and found nothing. Oh well :)

I think you might be referring to this conversation after Rosby dies, it's in AFFC.

“As to Lord Gyles, no doubt our Father Above will judge him justly. He left no children?”

“No children of his body, but there is a ward...”

“... not of his blood.” Cersei dismissed that annoyance with a flick of her hand. “Gyles knew of our dire need for gold. No doubt he told you of his wish to leave all his lands and wealth to Tommen.” Rosby’s gold would help refresh their coffers, and Rosby’s lands and castle could be bestowed upon one of her own as a reward for leal service. Lord Waters, perhaps. Aurane had been hinting at his need for a seat; his lordship was only an empty honor without one. He had his

eye on Dragonstone, Cersei knew, but there he aimed too high. Rosby would be more suitable to his birth and station.

“Lord Gyles loved His Grace with all his heart,” Pycelle was saying, “but... his ward...”

“... will doubtless understand, once he hears you speak of Lord Gyles’s dying wish. Go, and see it done.”

“If it please Your Grace.” Grand Maester Pycelle almost tripped over his own robes in his haste to leave.

I think you might be referring to this conversation after Rosby dies, it's in AFFC.

“As to Lord Gyles, no doubt our Father Above will judge him justly. He left no children?”

“No children of his body, but there is a ward...”

“... not of his blood.” Cersei dismissed that annoyance with a flick of her hand. “Gyles knew of our dire need for gold. No doubt he told you of his wish to leave all his lands and wealth to Tommen.” Rosby’s gold would help refresh their coffers, and Rosby’s lands and castle could be bestowed upon one of her own as a reward for leal service. Lord Waters, perhaps. Aurane had been hinting at his need for a seat; his lordship was only an empty honor without one. He had his

eye on Dragonstone, Cersei knew, but there he aimed too high. Rosby would be more suitable to his birth and station.

“Lord Gyles loved His Grace with all his heart,” Pycelle was saying, “but... his ward...”

“... will doubtless understand, once he hears you speak of Lord Gyles’s dying wish. Go, and see it done.”

“If it please Your Grace.” Grand Maester Pycelle almost tripped over his own robes in his haste to leave.

That may be it. I was trying to determine whether Cersei deliberately shouted down the Rosby inheritance because the Stokesworth's had a claim, and a persual of Falyse would, well....you know

Actually, I meant that since pre-ordering on at least Amazon is possible, the chance that the date is correct has gone way up :D It's a positive thing :)

yay, but I once had pre-ordered The Winds of Winter on A* as well, until the day they emailed me they could no longer expect to ship it anytime soon - ditched my pre-order and took the book off the list, wishing me good luck getting it through some other source.

Has anyone ever read the books while completely stoned?? if u smoke pot u should get on that that. IMO they make the books so much better

please dont hate, for i am a semi-respectable "member" of society and i too have feelings...

I've been wondering - what's the difference between a handmaid and a lady-in-waiting? Is it just that the latter is used for a lady's companion who is of noble birth herself, and handmaid is reserved for the low-born servants? And what's a bedmaid then?

A handmaid is a servant, although it is quite a prestigious position. A bed maid is a lot lower down the pecking order. And would sometimes have had to get I'm the bed before the Lord or lady to warm it for them before they retired for the evening. Some lords would not neccessarily ask them to get out first.

A Lady in waiting is someone of Noble birth who would attend the queen and act as companion. The most important would be the Lady of the bedchamber. Which is a much better job than the gentleman of the chamberpot.

To put it in perspective, Joanna and the Princess of Dorne are supposed to have been Ladies-in-Waiting of Queen Rhaella, while Dorcas amd Senelle were Cersei's maids and bedmaids. I assume Taena took on the role of a lady in waiting to, although i dont thin the sexual contact is a requirement

:D

The date I got from amazon and the asoiaf-wiki. There are no other sources yet, unfortunately, though several people have already pre-ordered it on amazon.

Amazon had the initial release date posted as well, and I believe you could pre order before the delay. I believe the date is still tentative. I'll go check the thread and see if Ran has updated it, it's been awhile.

What does it mean when a thread is locked? I thought it meant it was full and then start the more numbers of it. (Like r+l=j) but have noticed some get locked really early... is this because they are thought to be innappropriate or offenisve?

Usually that's the case. Hate threads serve little to no purpose and people just end up bickering back and forth while making no contribution to the board.

Usually that's the case. Hate threads serve little to no purpose and people just end up bickering back and forth while making no contribution to the board.

Do troll threads also get locked? I'm thinking of one poster in particular who has recently started troll threads dressed up in suits, one of which was locked

And it's that time again where this question confuses me: AL and AC, can they be used to indicate the same year?

For example, originally, King Viserys I died in 129 AL, but ever since tPatQ, he died in 129 AC.

Aegons Conquest began 2BC, and lasted 2 years.

Joffrey´s wedding date is given as the first day of 300 AL. Is this the same as 300 AC?

Every now and then, I get confused about this. I hope to finally settle this once and for all. Who can help me?

I have no source on this but logic so its entirely possible (and likely) I am mistaken. As A.L and A.C seem to be used interchangably, and certain events are said to occur in the same year whether AL or AC, then was Aegon's conquest and crowning in the same year? That would explain why Viserys died in both 129 al and 129ac. Thats what logic tells me anyway, I dont knowbif Martin has commented on it or not

ETA: Ignore me, i seem to be confused. I had AL as after landing and AC as after crowning. oops

And it's that time again where this question confuses me: AL and AC, can they be used to indicate the same year?

For example, originally, King Viserys I died in 129 AL, but ever since tPatQ, he died in 129 AC.

Aegons Conquest began 2BC, and lasted 2 years.

Joffrey´s wedding date is given as the first day of 300 AL. Is this the same as 300 AC?

Every now and then, I get confused about this. I hope to finally settle this once and for all. Who can help me?

SSMs:

The History of Aegon's Conquest

The history begins by explaining that there is controversy about the beginning of Aegon's reign. The years before are slated as BC= Before Conquest and the ones

after are AC= After Conquest. However, there is a 2 year span from when Aegon landed in Westeros at the Blackwater and when he was crowned in Oldtown by the

High Septon. Debate continues as to when the new calendar should begin.

Archived