Small Questions v 10024

Stubby

Who/What is Old Nan? How is she so old and how does she know so much? I tried to do a search on this but I couldn't. :dunno:

We have this from GoT

She was a very ugly old woman, Bran thought spitefully; shrunken and wrinkled, almost blind, too weak to climb stairs, with only a few wisps of white hair left to cover a mottled pink scalp. No one really knew how old she was, but his father said she’d been called Old Nan even when he was a boy. She was the oldest person in Winterfell for certain, maybe the oldest person in the Seven Kingdoms. Nan had come to the castle as a wet nurse for a Brandon Stark whose mother had died birthing him. He had been an older brother of Lord Rickard, Bran’s grandfather, or perhaps a younger brother, or a brother to Lord Rickard’s father. Sometimes Old Nan told it one way and sometimes another. In all the stories the little boy died at three of a summer chill, but Old Nan stayed on at Winterfell with her own children. She had lost both her sons to the war when King Robert won the throne, and her grandson was killed on the walls of Pyke during Balon Greyjoy’s rebellion. Her daughters had long ago married and moved away and died. All that was left of her own blood was Hodor, the simpleminded giant who worked in the stables, but Old Nan just lived on and on, doing her needlework and telling her stories.

Basically, her history is very muddled, but its clear that she is very, very, very, very.....old

ETA: 400 posts, Stubby has been informed :) SSo i probably wouldnt post anymore here

"and he would hardly have wanted a "knight's only" tournament to honor Ned, who was not a knight."

And Ned would not be a Knight because? We know he was fostered by one Great Lord and was himself a Great Lord. Knights were the lowest wrong of the nobility. A Lord simultaniously becomes a Knight when he takes his own oaths. But Knighthood, is a wrung in the ladder of nobility and not a seperate category of "public servant" The requirement thus to be a Knight to joust is not one of whether the paricipents were of a certain order but of the nobillity. In Dunk's story the issue at hand was not whethe the question is what proof of ZKnighthood was acceptible. You were hosting Targs known to be picky about status. So you make sure that the contestants are all nobles-Knight being the lowest wrung in the nobility.

"and he would hardly have wanted a "knight's only" tournament to honor Ned, who was not a knight."

And Ned would not be a Knight because? We know he was fostered by one Great Lord and was himself a Great Lord. Knights were the lowest wrong of the nobility. A Lord simultaniously becomes a Knight when he takes his own oaths. But Knighthood, is a wrung in the ladder of nobility and not a seperate category of "public servant" The requirement thus to be a Knight to joust is not one of whether the paricipents were of a certain order but of the nobillity. In Dunk's story the issue at hand was not whethe the question is what proof of ZKnighthood was acceptible. You were hosting Targs known to be picky about status. So you make sure that the contestants are all nobles-Knight being the lowest wrung in the nobility.

I'm not sure what question you are answering here, I assume the quote button isn't working quite right? But anyway, Ned wasn't a knight because he follows the Old Gods, and Knight's traditionally take their vows in a Sept/before the Seven. Alternatively, they may be knighted for acts of valour; e.g. being first through the Walls at Pyke :D In Dunk and Egg, the Hedge Knight, its established that there are different types of tourneys, some of which can be competed in by those who are not Knights. The tourney at Ashford Meadow was a knight only tourney, hence why Dunk needed someone to vouch for him as a knight. I imagine the rules were stricter because there were royals there, but the point still stands that in a knight-only tourney, the Winterfell guard from the Tourney of the Hand would have been unable to compete

Archived